Topic
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-18T22:17:13Z by jyeh
rwgoebel
rwgoebel
49 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IDA 8.1.0 locks up after compare and save

‏2012-09-05T16:06:58Z |
I am running IDA 8.1.0 on Windows XP professional service pack 3. The IDA physical data model I am working with is 50MB in size. Using the Compare function, I compare the data model to the database and transfer some tables from the database to the data model in the Compare window. I then try to save the data model with the changes. That is when IDA 8.1.0 locks up. It takes for ever for the data model to save. I have attached an error message from when I had to manually close the IDA after 10 minutes. I was able to open the physical data model file after I did this, but other people on my project can not even open the physical data model file after IDA locks up. They can open the project in IDA, but they are not able to open the *.dbm. It is as if the *.dbm is corrupted. They must restore the data model from a backup
Updated on 2012-09-18T22:17:13Z at 2012-09-18T22:17:13Z by jyeh
  • rwgoebel
    rwgoebel
    49 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IDA 8.1.0 locks up after compare and save

‏2012-09-05T16:50:46Z  in response to rwgoebel
    Follow-up. Occasionally, after the compare and transfer, the save will work, but it deletes the entire contents of the *.dbm file. I can see the lists of objects (schemas, tables, etc) in the project tree, but the file size is zero. When I close IDA and open it again, the *.dbm file is empty.
  • rwgoebel
    rwgoebel
    49 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-05T17:15:01Z  in response to rwgoebel
    2nd follow-up. Here is zip file that includes a screen shot of IDA after a save succeeded. The project tree shows the data model objects, but the data model information shows a file size of 0. The actual file size should be about 50MB. the zip file also includes an error log.
    • jyeh
      jyeh
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-10T20:29:15Z  in response to rwgoebel
      The File Save operation on data models will go through a resolution process which will take a long time and appear to hang. You should wait until this process completes. The file will be corrupted if the process is interrupted.

The SQLExceptions during this process are not expected. You may try to create a second model that contains only those objects you want from the database. Then use compare and sync to copy objects from the second model to your big model. Using this method should not see the SQLExceptions.
  • rwgoebel
    rwgoebel
    49 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-11T19:18:48Z  in response to rwgoebel
    See my first follow-up. If I do wait for the Save process to complete successfully, the data model file is wiped out.
    • jyeh
      jyeh
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-12T00:53:32Z  in response to rwgoebel
      I suspect the Save process might have run out of memory due to the large model size and the Save did not really happen but the file had been corrupted. Can you increase your -Xmx parameter to -Xmx1500m and see if this will help? You can find this parameter in the eclipse.ini file in your IDA installation directory.
    • jyeh
      jyeh
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-12T01:20:51Z  in response to rwgoebel
      There is an alternative way to save the changes. The alternative method will bypass the lengthy resolution process. Please try the Save menu item from the data model's context menu and see if the changes are saved properly.

Regards, Joseph
  • rwgoebel
    rwgoebel
    49 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-12T18:59:21Z  in response to rwgoebel
    Hi Joseph:

I tried the alternative Save method and that worked. It saved the *.dbm fairly fast and did not delete any data from the file. I did not try making the change to the eclipse file.
    • jyeh
      jyeh
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-12T20:26:12Z  in response to rwgoebel
      Glad to hear that. Thank you for confirming.

Regards, Joseph
  • rwgoebel
    rwgoebel
    49 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-17T14:44:47Z  in response to rwgoebel
    Why didn't the original Save work. As I explained, when the original save worked, it actually deleted all of the data from the data model file. This is an issue with IDA and large data models which should be corrected. Do expect to have a fix for this?
    • jyeh
      jyeh
      32 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-18T22:17:13Z  in response to rwgoebel
      The original File > Save involves a self-examination of every object in the model to make sure they are save-ready. This is necessary for some use cases. This process will take a long time for large data models and may run out of memory if the available memory is already low. We will revisit this part for the future releases. In the mean time, after changing a very large data model through the compare editor, you may want to use the Save menu from the context menu of the data model in the Data Project Explorer to save the changes.

Regards,
      Joseph