Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-10-01T15:14:37Z by Jerry@Arup
Jerry@Arup
Jerry@Arup
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Controlling Word column widths and style

‏2012-09-04T17:32:42Z |
I am a new RPE user and I'm finding it impossible to get RPE to format my Word tables the way I want it to. What am I doing wrong? (I'm using RPE 1.1.2.)
Column widths
I want fixed column widths, so I have specified a cell width for every cell in the first row of my table. For the table itself, I have specified table auto fit = fixed column width; resize to fit contents = false; fixed cell width in column = true. When I open my document, all the columns I can see are 10.88cm wide and every row is very tall. (I am guessing this is because the last column has been squeezed to become very narrow.) My output is on A3 landscape pages, as per the stylesheet, and I have no master pages in RPE.
Table styles
I want my tables to adopt a particular table style from my Word stylesheet (called 'Table of Requirements'). So I have set the table's 'style name' property to 'Table of Requirements' in my RPE template. But RPE seems to ignore it.
Heading columns and rows
I want Word to use the heading row and first column styles, but not to use banded (odd/even) row and column formatting. I can't see any way to even specify this to RPE.
Workaround
I have created a Word macro to fix all my tables how I want them, but it's extremely tedious to run and crashes Word when I have too many objects in my source data. Even without this headache, Word will never be able to be sensitive to the data in the way it applies formatting, so I'm not getting the power of RPE and won't be able to format tables differently according to content in future.
Word 2007
The Word template (stylesheet) I want to use is a .docm, with linked fields that get unlinked when I have to save as .doc so RPE can use it. When/how will I be able to use a Word 2007-format stylesheet?

I attach my .dta RPE template so you can diagnose where I've gone wrong with my column widths.
Updated on 2012-10-01T15:14:37Z at 2012-10-01T15:14:37Z by Jerry@Arup
  • Jerry@Arup
    Jerry@Arup
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Controlling Word column widths and style

‏2012-10-01T15:14:37Z  in response to Jerry@Arup
    I have upgraded to 1.1.2.2 since my posting below. The situation is much improved, but I still can't format my tables exactly as I want. Here is an updated list of questions.

Column widths
    I want fixed column widths, so I have specified a cell width for every cell in the first row of my table. (I've also tried every cell in all rows and missing off the width of the last column.) For the table itself, I have specified table auto fit = autofit to window; resize to fit contents = false; fixed cell width in column = true. When I open my document, the table nicely fits the page width, between margins, but all cells are equal width. (I have tried almost every combination of table fit options I can think of ... but doubtless I have missed the right one.)
    Table styles
    I want my tables to adopt a particular table style from my Word stylesheet (called 'Table of Requirements'). So I have set the table's 'style name' property to 'Table of Requirements' in my RPE template. But RPE seems to ignore it.
    Heading columns and rows
    I want Word to use the heading row and first column styles, but not to use banded (odd/even) row and column formatting. I can't see any way to even specify this to RPE.
    Workaround
    It looks like I'll have to work on a new workaround.
    Word 2007
    RPE 1.1.2.2 allows me to use a .docm stylesheet and produce .docm output. So that problem is solved.

I attach my .dta RPE template so you can diagnose where I've gone wrong with my column widths.