Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-11T21:31:42Z by Jacek_Laskowski
Jacek_Laskowski
Jacek_Laskowski
7 Posts

Pinned topic [Beta] Is 8.6 available for Liberty?

‏2012-09-04T10:45:25Z |
Hi,

Is the beta version of eXtreme Scale 8.6 available for the Liberty profile? Are there docs available how to install it or integrate them together?

Jacek
Japila :: verba docent, exempla trahunt
Updated on 2012-09-11T21:31:42Z at 2012-09-11T21:31:42Z by Jacek_Laskowski
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1485 Posts

Re: [Beta] Is 8.6 available for Liberty?

‏2012-09-04T15:34:16Z  
    Hello,

I will check and see if there is an archive installer version of the 8.6 Beta available.

Not as easy as the archive installer, but you can install the Beta on top of WAS and if you installed the WAS Liberty Profile will end with the Liberty Profile containing the eXtreme Scale 8.6 Beta. If you aren't a WAS user, you may be able to use the WAS for Developers version to install the Liberty Profile and then use the 8.6 Beta IM installer to install on top of that.

Eric
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    7 Posts

‏2012-09-05T18:53:45Z  
    Hello,

I will check and see if there is an archive installer version of the 8.6 Beta available.

Not as easy as the archive installer, but you can install the Beta on top of WAS and if you installed the WAS Liberty Profile will end with the Liberty Profile containing the eXtreme Scale 8.6 Beta. If you aren't a WAS user, you may be able to use the WAS for Developers version to install the Liberty Profile and then use the 8.6 Beta IM installer to install on top of that.

Eric
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for the answer. It helped and the wlp directory of the Liberty profile contains XS jars in lib and wxs directories. I think it's enough to get me started with WXS and Liberty. Thanks a lot!

Since I'm new to WXS, would you recommend the next step in the evaluation? Any step-by-step examples with DMgr, Liberty and WXS? Any ideas for some? I could write a few while evaluating the stack.

Jacek
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1485 Posts

‏2012-09-05T20:00:43Z  
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for the answer. It helped and the wlp directory of the Liberty profile contains XS jars in lib and wxs directories. I think it's enough to get me started with WXS and Liberty. Thanks a lot!

Since I'm new to WXS, would you recommend the next step in the evaluation? Any step-by-step examples with DMgr, Liberty and WXS? Any ideas for some? I could write a few while evaluating the stack.

Jacek
    Hello Jacek,

Not knowing exactly what you want to evaluate, but you could start out with the airport sample. The airport sample is provided as an introduction to eXtreme Scale when using the Liberty Profile.

We do have other samples in the Samples Gallery related to using traditional WAS as well. You can then mix things up if you want by maybe running a sample's client on Liberty and the actual grid on traditional WAS servers or even stand alone.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas.

Eric
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    7 Posts

‏2012-09-05T21:07:19Z  
    Hello Jacek,

Not knowing exactly what you want to evaluate, but you could start out with the airport sample. The airport sample is provided as an introduction to eXtreme Scale when using the Liberty Profile.

We do have other samples in the Samples Gallery related to using traditional WAS as well. You can then mix things up if you want by maybe running a sample's client on Liberty and the actual grid on traditional WAS servers or even stand alone.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas.

Eric
    Hi Eric,

Thanks!

Jacek
  • Jacek_Laskowski
    Jacek_Laskowski
    7 Posts

‏2012-09-11T21:31:42Z  
    Hi,

Forgot to mention, but for the purpose of self-learning I wrote a document that shows what it takes to install WXS on Liberty. It's rather meant to show not describe the process and complement the official documentation.

How to install WebSphere eXtreme Scale V8.6 Beta on WebSphere Application Server V8.5 Liberty Profile

Hop you'll like it.

Jacek