Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-30T23:08:59Z by SystemAdmin
Rangachari Anand
Rangachari Anand
2 Posts

Pinned topic Equivalent of Apache Tomcat JDBCRealm for the Liberty Profile?

‏2012-09-03T21:31:22Z |
I am porting a self-contained web app that was developed for Tomcat
that uses the JDBCRealm for authentication.

The realm element in server.xml looked something like this:

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" connectionURL="jdbc:derby://localhost:1528/...digest="MD5" driverName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver" roleNameCol="rolename" userCredCol="userpass" userNameCol="username" userRoleTable="tomcatuserrole" userTable="tomcatuser"/>

The tables tomcatuserrole and tomcatuser were maintained by the web application itself.

Is there any equivalent way of handling user authentication with the Liberty Profile?
I would rather not have to deal with an external LDAP directory if at all possible.
  • Rangachari Anand
    Rangachari Anand
    2 Posts

Re: Equivalent of Apache Tomcat JDBCRealm for the Liberty Profile?

‏2012-09-04T13:23:57Z  
    I have done some more digging in the documentation and here is the picture that I am seeing.

The problem with the available user authentication options for the Liberty profile are that
    the basic user registry does too little for me and the LDAP user registry is too complex
    for my needs.

It would appear then that my only option is to write my own JAAS custom login module
    that would replicate the functionality of Tomcat's JDBCRealm.

Except for this one shortcoming, the Liberty profile is otherwise offers almost exactly what
    I need.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

Re: Equivalent of Apache Tomcat JDBCRealm for the Liberty Profile?

‏2012-12-30T23:08:59Z  
    I have done some more digging in the documentation and here is the picture that I am seeing.

The problem with the available user authentication options for the Liberty profile are that
    the basic user registry does too little for me and the LDAP user registry is too complex
    for my needs.

It would appear then that my only option is to write my own JAAS custom login module
    that would replicate the functionality of Tomcat's JDBCRealm.

Except for this one shortcoming, the Liberty profile is otherwise offers almost exactly what
    I need.
    Hi,
    did you get to a solution for your problem? I need to port some applications using com.sun.enterprise.security.auth.realm.jdbc.JDBCRealm Realm in GlassFish 3 to Liberty profile but don't know if I can make JDBC Realms work.
    Thanks for any info,
    Ignacio