IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 44 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-04T02:40:48Z by JerryG2
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
14225 Posts

Pinned topic RAD 8.5.0 - losing keyboard functionality in JSP editor

‏2012-08-29T14:43:01Z |
Hello,

We are running RAD 8.5.0 on Windows 7 64-bit with uni-lingual keyboard.
We are losing keyboard functionality while editing a JSP.

Such as:
Ctrl-F (find) does pop-up
Del doesn't work
Ctrl-Z doesn't work

This is happening on multiple machines.
Its getting annoying to develop with these issues!

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Glenn
Updated on 2013-03-28T12:12:41Z at 2013-03-28T12:12:41Z by xKurt
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

Re: RAD 8.5.0 - losing keyboard functionality in JSP editor

‏2012-08-29T18:52:58Z  
    Yes, we have same problem. It is very annoying.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-29T19:29:09Z  
    Great the first step is to confirm that we are not the only one having this problem.

Does anyone know if a PMR has been opened?
    Surely, IBMers are glancing at the forum.

Thanks,
    Glenn
  • browe
    browe
    33 Posts

‏2012-08-29T20:21:52Z  
    Great the first step is to confirm that we are not the only one having this problem.

Does anyone know if a PMR has been opened?
    Surely, IBMers are glancing at the forum.

Thanks,
    Glenn
    Hi,

Yes, we do monitor the forums. It's a great way to let us know about defects you are running into.
    Could you tell me which editor you are using, e.g. is it Rich Page Editor, Page Designer, or just the standard editor.

Thanks
    Billy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-29T20:44:11Z  
    • browe
    • ‏2012-08-29T20:21:52Z
    Hi,

Yes, we do monitor the forums. It's a great way to let us know about defects you are running into.
    Could you tell me which editor you are using, e.g. is it Rich Page Editor, Page Designer, or just the standard editor.

Thanks
    Billy
    Thanks for the quick response.

Here is what I found under Preferences | General | Editors | File Associations for *.jsp

Page Designer (default)
    JSP Editor (locked by 'JSP' content type)...
    Rich Page Editor (locked by 'JSP' content type)...
    Text Editor (locked by 'JSP' content type)...
    CSS Designer (locked by 'JSP' content type)
    CSS JSP (locked by 'JSP' content type)

Is this what you need?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-29T21:23:02Z  
    Yes, we use RSA8.5 in our organization, too. Lots of my colleagues installed it and every one of them have the same problem. It is too simple to create this bug. We create a new JSF2.0 project and new web pages. Firstly you can use this keys, but after some time nothing happens when you press Ctrl+Z or delete etc. Restarting RSA fix the problem for a short time.

Maybe this bug is related with Eclipse. Anyway, sometimes I wonder how can a company like IBM ship a product to customers with this basic bugs? I hope it can be fixed as soon as possible.
  • browe
    browe
    33 Posts

‏2012-08-29T22:55:26Z  
    Yes, we use RSA8.5 in our organization, too. Lots of my colleagues installed it and every one of them have the same problem. It is too simple to create this bug. We create a new JSF2.0 project and new web pages. Firstly you can use this keys, but after some time nothing happens when you press Ctrl+Z or delete etc. Restarting RSA fix the problem for a short time.

Maybe this bug is related with Eclipse. Anyway, sometimes I wonder how can a company like IBM ship a product to customers with this basic bugs? I hope it can be fixed as soon as possible.
    Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that we're investigating. We haven't seen this before. Is there anything unique about your environment or is it just a vanilla install of either RAD 8.5 or RSA 8.5, e.g. is there anything you're eclipse shell sharing? Do you see this key-binding behavior editing other languages in the product(s), e.g. XML?

Thanks
    Billy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-30T11:21:26Z  
    • browe
    • ‏2012-08-29T22:55:26Z
    Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that we're investigating. We haven't seen this before. Is there anything unique about your environment or is it just a vanilla install of either RAD 8.5 or RSA 8.5, e.g. is there anything you're eclipse shell sharing? Do you see this key-binding behavior editing other languages in the product(s), e.g. XML?

Thanks
    Billy
    We haven't had these issues while editing XML or Java files.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-30T11:22:29Z  
    • browe
    Hi,

Thanks
    Billy
    We haven't had these issues while editing XML or Java files.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-30T16:10:29Z  
    • browe
    Hi,

Thanks
    Billy
    Hi Billy,

We use RSA8.5 and WAS8.5 on Windows 7 64-bit with Turkish keyboard. It's just a vanilla installation as you said. We use the embedded Eclipse in RSA, it is not shared.

I didn't try other editors. But Java editor behave correctly.

Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-31T10:52:38Z  
    Hi Billy,

We use RSA8.5 and WAS8.5 on Windows 7 64-bit with Turkish keyboard. It's just a vanilla installation as you said. We use the embedded Eclipse in RSA, it is not shared.

I didn't try other editors. But Java editor behave correctly.

Thanks.
    Hi Billy,

I have tested XML, CSS and JS editor and there isn't any problem with these editors.
  • makbolat
    makbolat
    12 Posts

‏2012-08-31T13:27:11Z  
    In addition those problems that talked about, Just now I took notice an other bug, when web perspective Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V on files in Project Explorer not working. When I switch to java perspective, package explorer displayed, than I click on a file then pressed Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V its worked. But the same thing doesn't working in web perspective/project explorer.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-08-31T19:48:12Z  
    • makbolat
    • ‏2012-08-31T13:27:11Z
    In addition those problems that talked about, Just now I took notice an other bug, when web perspective Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V on files in Project Explorer not working. When I switch to java perspective, package explorer displayed, than I click on a file then pressed Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V its worked. But the same thing doesn't working in web perspective/project explorer.
    Hi,

Thanks for providing us with the detailed feedback. We haven't been able to reproduce the scenario you're seeing, yet. While editing a JSP, does changing from the Source page to the Design page (the tabs along the bottom of the editor) and then back to Source page alleviate the problem? Would it be possible to open a PMR?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-09-03T07:33:47Z  
    Hi,

Thanks for providing us with the detailed feedback. We haven't been able to reproduce the scenario you're seeing, yet. While editing a JSP, does changing from the Source page to the Design page (the tabs along the bottom of the editor) and then back to Source page alleviate the problem? Would it be possible to open a PMR?
    I had written that there wasn't any problem with xml editor. But now the same behaviour occured when I edit faces-config.xml. There is no effect when I press Delete, Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+F.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-09-03T07:54:05Z  
    Hi,

Also I opened the "Error Log" view to examine. I saw lots of errors related with this. Maybe these error logs can be helpful for you.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-09-04T15:02:48Z  
    Also I opened the "Error Log" view to examine. I saw lots of errors related with this. Maybe these error logs can be helpful for you.
    The "org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException: Translated offset requested but not found..." issue that appears numerous times in your log output has already been corrected for forthcoming releases. To see if this is the cause of the keybinding issue, go to the General->Editors->Text Editors->Hyperlinking and disable the "JavaScript Element" hyperlinks everywhere but the JavaScript Editor.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-09-05T05:02:52Z  
    The "org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException: Translated offset requested but not found..." issue that appears numerous times in your log output has already been corrected for forthcoming releases. To see if this is the cause of the keybinding issue, go to the General->Editors->Text Editors->Hyperlinking and disable the "JavaScript Element" hyperlinks everywhere but the JavaScript Editor.
    Thanks, I changed the configuration as you suggested. We'll wait and see.
  • makbolat
    makbolat
    12 Posts

‏2012-09-05T05:29:05Z  
    > kurrelgyre wrote:
    > The "org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException: Translated offset requested but not found..." issue that appears numerous times in your log output has already been corrected for forthcoming releases. To see if this is the cause of the keybinding issue, go to the General->Editors->Text Editors->Hyperlinking and disable the "JavaScript Element" hyperlinks everywhere but the JavaScript Editor.
    Hi nitind2,
    Thanx for advise.

After changing configuration that you told above, problems with keyboard shortcuts in jsp files didn't happen at least so far. But while working with faces-config.xml, Del and Ctrl+F keys are not responding.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-09-05T12:37:49Z  
    Yes, now it is solved nitind2. Thank you.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-09-06T19:52:46Z  
    I have changed the default editor for *.jsp from Page Designer to JSP Editor and haven't had any key binding errors in over a week.
    During the same time my colleague stayed with the Page Designer and has had key binding issues.
    Perhaps its time I tell my colleague! :)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-10-19T14:31:34Z  
    My team is also having the issue. Two of us have upgraded to 8.5.0 but we are not rolling it out to the rest of the team until a workaround or fix is found for this keyboard bug. It is happening fairly frequently.

I know we have seen it in the xml and java editors. Possibly others. We tried applying the javascript fix yesterday but the problem is back again today.

For now, I have to close the editor then click the back arrow to reopen it. The problem will go away for a while until returning. I haven't noticed a trigger for the issue.

Looking through the log I see a bunch of entries like this:
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2012-10-19 08:42:19.650
    !MESSAGE A handler conflict occurred. This may disable some commands.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2012-10-19 08:42:19.650
    !MESSAGE Conflict for 'org.eclipse.ui.file.save':
    HandlerActivation(commandId=org.eclipse.ui.file.save,
    handler=LegacyHandlerWrapper(ActionHandler(action=org.eclipse.ui.internal.SaveAction@f169984)),
    expression=LegacyHandlerSubmission(Shell {MyJava - ple-persistence/JavaSource/pathtoxml/ourxmlfile.hbm.xml - Rational® Application Developer for WebSphere® Software},null,PartSite(id=org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.tabletree.XMLMultiPageEditorPart,pluginId=org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui,registeredName=XML Editor,hashCode=-264593843)),sourcePriority=67113984)
  • browe
    browe
    33 Posts

‏2012-10-19T14:53:35Z  
    My team is also having the issue. Two of us have upgraded to 8.5.0 but we are not rolling it out to the rest of the team until a workaround or fix is found for this keyboard bug. It is happening fairly frequently.

I know we have seen it in the xml and java editors. Possibly others. We tried applying the javascript fix yesterday but the problem is back again today.

For now, I have to close the editor then click the back arrow to reopen it. The problem will go away for a while until returning. I haven't noticed a trigger for the issue.

Looking through the log I see a bunch of entries like this:
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2012-10-19 08:42:19.650
    !MESSAGE A handler conflict occurred. This may disable some commands.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.ui.workbench 2 0 2012-10-19 08:42:19.650
    !MESSAGE Conflict for 'org.eclipse.ui.file.save':
    HandlerActivation(commandId=org.eclipse.ui.file.save,
    handler=LegacyHandlerWrapper(ActionHandler(action=org.eclipse.ui.internal.SaveAction@f169984)),
    expression=LegacyHandlerSubmission(Shell {MyJava - ple-persistence/JavaSource/pathtoxml/ourxmlfile.hbm.xml - Rational® Application Developer for WebSphere® Software},null,PartSite(id=org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui.internal.tabletree.XMLMultiPageEditorPart,pluginId=org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui,registeredName=XML Editor,hashCode=-264593843)),sourcePriority=67113984)
    Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. We have an APAR/Defect on Page Designer for this problem and hope to have a fix ready for the next maintenance release. It's an odd bug in that it works for a while, and then stops working. Nitin's workaround above to use the JSP editor is a good alternative, however we have also observed a loss of key bindings there too. The problem seems to be most prevalent if you have active editors open on different types of files, e.g. a JSP and a Java file.

We're sorry for the inconvenience,
    Billy
  • logicatwork
    logicatwork
    1 Post

‏2012-10-25T13:30:40Z  
    • browe
    • ‏2012-10-19T14:53:35Z
    Hi,

Thanks for the additional information. We have an APAR/Defect on Page Designer for this problem and hope to have a fix ready for the next maintenance release. It's an odd bug in that it works for a while, and then stops working. Nitin's workaround above to use the JSP editor is a good alternative, however we have also observed a loss of key bindings there too. The problem seems to be most prevalent if you have active editors open on different types of files, e.g. a JSP and a Java file.

We're sorry for the inconvenience,
    Billy
    Billy,

Can you share the APAR/Defect ID for this defect so that we can keep a track of it? Though small, this is damaging the user experience of the tool.
  • TroyBishop
    TroyBishop
    104 Posts

‏2012-10-25T14:09:29Z  
    Billy,

Can you share the APAR/Defect ID for this defect so that we can keep a track of it? Though small, this is damaging the user experience of the tool.
    Hello,

The APAR tracking this problem is:

PM74700: The CRTL key command functionality (CRTL+F or CTL+Z) may be lost using the JSP or Page Design editor

-Troy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts

‏2012-10-25T14:15:14Z  
    Hello,

The APAR tracking this problem is:

PM74700: The CRTL key command functionality (CRTL+F or CTL+Z) may be lost using the JSP or Page Design editor

-Troy
    Is this planned to address all the editors that are having issues? I seem to have it most often in the XML editor.

(Also, I use the JSP Editor and not the Page Designer, if that matters)