Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-27T08:15:41Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1299 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to get current filter in DOORS?

‏2012-08-29T14:20:33Z |
Hi all,

I would like to export the string representation of filter used in DOORS module and print it in RPE generated document.

I would like to get the string as from following example DXL code:

Module m = current Filter f = current 

if (!

null(f) and !

null(m)) 
{ print stringOf(m, f) 
} 

else 
{ print 
"No filter or module!" 
}

Dis is basically the same string as in "Description..." window in Advanced filter properties.

Does anyone know how to get and display this current filter string from DOORS in RPE?

Regards,
Jarek
Updated on 2012-09-27T08:15:41Z at 2012-09-27T08:15:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • MikeS.
    MikeS.
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to get current filter in DOORS?

‏2012-08-29T17:36:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Great idea! This could be fairly useful for generating reports or "To DO" lists as you're getting ready for reviews.

I would either add a DXL column to your view to display the text of the filter or add a DXL attribute to the module. I you add the DXL attribute to the module, it will work for any view, but you'll have to add it to your schema by doing a schema discovery.

Just set up your template to read the value from one object and print it. For example, you can create a variable that's called "PrintFilter" and have it default to 0. Create a paragraph object with a condition that's set to PrintFilter = 0 and have the paragraph object set PrintFilter = 1 when it runs.

DXL for adding column to view:

Module m = current
    Filter f = current
    string s
    if (!null(f) and !null(m)) {
    s = stringOf(m, f)
    } else {
    s= "No filter or module!"
    }
    display s

DXL for adding "ViewFilter" DXL attribute to module:

Module m = current
    Filter f = current
    string s
    if (!null(f) and !null(m)) {
    s = stringOf(m, f)
    } else {
    s= "No filter or module!"
    }
    obj."ViewFilter"=s
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-03T13:47:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

I know the solution with utilizing DXL attribute for that. But it has two drawbacks.
    1) You need to have that attribute defined in the module. Not feasible if you don't know the module beforehand making the export.
    2) If I want to have two exports in a row from two different views there is a chance the DXL will not be recalculated and keep the text value of previously applied filter.

The thing is that there are different people making the exports from different modules with different filters. I would like to ensure that the filter string exported is current for the export.

Regards,
    Jarek
  • cliff.sadler
    cliff.sadler
    32 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-12T15:54:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    RPE only knows about elements that are exposed in the schema. The value of a currently applied filter is not stored in an element that RPE could discover as far as I know. Sounds like a good RFE, though for exposing more about a view than just the columns being displayed.
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1608 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-20T10:28:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hey,

you can submit RFE's though the IBM Software RFE Community

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1299 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-24T11:00:53Z  in response to Dragos.Cojocari
      RFE created:
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=26771

Regards,
      Jarek
      • oymsj001
        oymsj001
        15 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T03:08:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Jarek,

You can pass the string (from Mike's example) as an external attribute to RPE. Alternatively you can set an environment variable from the DXL script and then read it in RPE with the following assignment:

java.lang.System.getenv(
        "FILTER_NAME");

Regards,
        Sam
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1299 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-27T08:15:41Z  in response to oymsj001
          Hi,

I'm afraid, Mike's example depicts using DXL in attribute or column, and this does not guarantee recalculation of the DXL code on subsequent RPE exports. Is the "external attribute" you mentioned some different solution? Could you give more details about that?

Regards,
          Jarek