Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-29T14:47:22Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
300 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Recommended Database to Install with Worklight Server?

‏2012-08-28T16:26:17Z |
I am installing WL 5 Server in Ubuntu 12.04. I know I have a choice to install it with Derby, add configuration for a pre-installed DB2, or configure for MySQL (or anything else) after install.

All three options are relational SQL based databases, so I know this question might be hard to answer, but:

Is there a preferred database, or one that is "officially" supported (vs just available)?

It seems having Derby installed and configured during installation would be the best choice. Are there other considerations that would make DB2 or MySQL a better choice?

Thanks,
Ralph Pina
  • slowhand
    slowhand
    35 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Recommended Database to Install with Worklight Server?

‏2012-08-29T08:57:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    > Is there a preferred database, or one that is "officially" supported (vs just available)?

All 4 choices (Derby embedded, MySQL, DB2, Oracle) are officially supported, see the system requirements page.

What is preferred, depends on your use.
    • In an enterprise production environment, you will want a scalable database server. I think this means DB2 or Oracle.
    • In a small department's production environment, a small database server will do. I think this means DB2 (Express edition) or MySQL.
    • For a single developer's machine, Derby embedded fits the bill better: Unlike the other three choices, it does not require a database server process (that eats up memory), and it has zero setup costs.

--slowhand
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Recommended Database to Install with Worklight Server?

‏2012-08-29T14:47:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks a ton, that is exactly the info I was looking for.