• Latest Post - ‏2012-09-04T14:21:33Z by rraddatz
W2BK_Val_Maksymluk
W2BK_Val_Maksymluk
3 Posts

Pinned topic Importing into IDA an Oracle Designer dat file

‏2012-08-27T17:09:55Z |
Greetings folks,
I'm using IDA 7.6.0 and Oracle Designer 10.1.2.5

Using Oracle Designer I can export into dat file, however I can't figure out how to get it into (imported) into IDA. Any suggestions.

About a year ago I saw an Oracle technical rep. do it so I know it's possible.

Help!!!
Val
Updated on 2012-09-04T14:21:33Z at 2012-09-04T14:21:33Z by rraddatz
  • rraddatz
    rraddatz
    55 Posts

Re: Importing into IDA an Oracle Designer dat file

‏2012-08-27T17:47:16Z  
    Hi Val,
    When you installed IDA 7.6.0, did you check the Model Import/Export option? It isn't selected as a default. If you did, then you should be able to import models. You will need to enable the Oracle Designer bridge for import. In order to do that, you will need to update the MIRModelBridges.xml file. In IDA 7.6, the default installation location should be:

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDPShared\plugins\com.ibm.datatools.metadata.wizards.miti.win32_1.0.4.v20110928_0304\MetaIntegration\conf

Edit the file and change enabled from 'False' to 'True' on the following line:

<Bridge id='OracleDesigner' enabled='False' windowsOnly='False'>
    to
    <Bridge id='OracleDesigner' enabled='True' windowsOnly='False'>

This should provide the option when importing. File-> Import-> Data-> Data Model Import Wizard

Thanks,
    Robin
  • W2BK_Val_Maksymluk
    W2BK_Val_Maksymluk
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-28T13:48:35Z  
    • rraddatz
    • ‏2012-08-27T17:47:16Z
    Hi Val,
    When you installed IDA 7.6.0, did you check the Model Import/Export option? It isn't selected as a default. If you did, then you should be able to import models. You will need to enable the Oracle Designer bridge for import. In order to do that, you will need to update the MIRModelBridges.xml file. In IDA 7.6, the default installation location should be:

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDPShared\plugins\com.ibm.datatools.metadata.wizards.miti.win32_1.0.4.v20110928_0304\MetaIntegration\conf

Edit the file and change enabled from 'False' to 'True' on the following line:

<Bridge id='OracleDesigner' enabled='False' windowsOnly='False'>
    to
    <Bridge id='OracleDesigner' enabled='True' windowsOnly='False'>

This should provide the option when importing. File-> Import-> Data-> Data Model Import Wizard

Thanks,
    Robin
    Hi Robin,
    Thanks so much for your help yesterday, I would never have figured it out on my own. I performed a successful migration yesterday with "test" data.

I then tried to import a production Oracle Designer dat file today and have failed miserably.

I attached a text file listing all the warnings, errors etc.

Again Please HELP!

Thanks,
    Val

Attachments

• rraddatz
    rraddatz
    55 Posts

‏2012-08-28T14:10:16Z  
    Hi Robin,
    Thanks so much for your help yesterday, I would never have figured it out on my own. I performed a successful migration yesterday with "test" data.

I then tried to import a production Oracle Designer dat file today and have failed miserably.

I attached a text file listing all the warnings, errors etc.

Again Please HELP!

Thanks,
    Val
    Hi Val,

I'm glad you were able to get further!

The import is actually telling you that there are problems with your Oracle Designer model. I'm not sure if Oracle Designer has a model check or analyze model similar to IDA which would outline issues and help you correct them. IDA doesn't know what to do with parts of the model when importing, because it deems that it is inconsistent. The errors I see from the log:

<ERROR> Consistency: MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application AccessCLASS/AACC_AUSE_FKFOREIGN_KEY: No match was found for the Attribute 'MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application AccessCLASS/User NameATTRIBUTE' in the Candidate Key
    <ERROR> Consistency: MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application AccessCLASS/AACC_AUSE_FKFOREIGN_KEY: Foreign Key does not contain an Attribute matching 'MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application UserCLASS/Ause IdATTRIBUTE'
    It looks like the foreign keys listed above don't have a match. If you can go into your model in Oracle Designer and correct these problems, you should be able to import. There are lots of warnings that shouldn't prevent the import, but your model not be like what you expect unless you clean those up too.

Thanks,
    Robin
  • W2BK_Val_Maksymluk
    W2BK_Val_Maksymluk
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-30T16:09:35Z  
    • rraddatz
    • ‏2012-08-28T14:10:16Z
    Hi Val,

I'm glad you were able to get further!

The import is actually telling you that there are problems with your Oracle Designer model. I'm not sure if Oracle Designer has a model check or analyze model similar to IDA which would outline issues and help you correct them. IDA doesn't know what to do with parts of the model when importing, because it deems that it is inconsistent. The errors I see from the log:

<ERROR> Consistency: MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application AccessCLASS/AACC_AUSE_FKFOREIGN_KEY: No match was found for the Attribute 'MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application AccessCLASS/User NameATTRIBUTE' in the Candidate Key
    <ERROR> Consistency: MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application AccessCLASS/AACC_AUSE_FKFOREIGN_KEY: Foreign Key does not contain an Attribute matching 'MofA Data Model v2STORE_MODEL/Physical ModelDESIGN_PACKAGE/Application UserCLASS/Ause IdATTRIBUTE'
    It looks like the foreign keys listed above don't have a match. If you can go into your model in Oracle Designer and correct these problems, you should be able to import. There are lots of warnings that shouldn't prevent the import, but your model not be like what you expect unless you clean those up too.

Thanks,
    Robin
    Hi Robin,
    Last time I connected with you I was “attempting” to import Oracle Designer DAT files with some limited success because of the huge number of warnings generated by IDA during the import as well as some errors which I’ve since corrected.

For example some of the warnings are:
    <STATUS> Creating entities, domains, attributes and relationships...
    <WARNING> Could not add 'FAC' to schema '' because it already contains an object with the same name.
    <WARNING> Could not add 'FALI' to schema '' because it already contains an object with the same name.

What’s happening is IDA (or maybe Designer during file export time, I dunno) is recognizing the Oracle entity/table short names as entities, e.g. FAC from above is the Oracle Designer short name for FACILITY. Note, Oracle uses the entity short names for relationship name creation during the LDM to PDM transformation.
    For logical and physical diagrams IDA uses the diagrams title rather than the diagrams name during the import, which explains why IDA reports that there are duplicate CLASS_DIAGRAMs, I can easily work around that.

Also during the import when IDA see’s an attribute which belongs to a domain it thinks it is an attribute of its own. E.g.

ATTRIB NAME DOMAIN
    ID Primary_key
    FACILITY_FK Primary_key
    PERSON_FK Primary_key
    ORGANIZATION_FK Primary_key

Because the domain (i.e. Primary_key) is defined as a NUMBER, Length 38 it is used for all primary and foreign keys.
    However IDA will warn that there a 3 duplicate ID attributes…..pretty cool but its incorrect.

Regarding <WARNING> The object '' of type ASSOCIATION had to be renamed for name uniqueness purpose. I can’t figure out, since there is nothing indicating which ASSOCIATION (a.k.a. relationship) is a duplicate but there is a s#*tload of that particular WARNING..

Regarding <WARNING> Could not add 'APPLICATION_USER_ROLE' to schema '' because it already contains an object with the same name. I don’t understand this as well, there is an entity named APPLICATION_USER_ROLE and also a table by the same name, both of which are imported successfully.

So here’s my question, I set the Import Wizard’s options to the following:

Design Level Filter = None
    Import UDPs = As metadata
    Insert the description in the comment field = False
    Import IDs = True
    Encoding = Western European (windows-1252) (windows-1252)

Is there a “better” combination of options to use rather than the above to provide me with a cleaner outcome (import)?

Wow, I'm usually not this long-winded.

On the upside I just received our IBM Client Number for additional support…..don’t know what PMR stands for yet but I'll find out soon.

Thanks in advance,
    Val
  • rraddatz
    rraddatz
    55 Posts

‏2012-09-04T14:21:33Z  
    Hi Robin,
    Last time I connected with you I was “attempting” to import Oracle Designer DAT files with some limited success because of the huge number of warnings generated by IDA during the import as well as some errors which I’ve since corrected.

For example some of the warnings are:
    <STATUS> Creating entities, domains, attributes and relationships...
    <WARNING> Could not add 'FAC' to schema '' because it already contains an object with the same name.
    <WARNING> Could not add 'FALI' to schema '' because it already contains an object with the same name.

What’s happening is IDA (or maybe Designer during file export time, I dunno) is recognizing the Oracle entity/table short names as entities, e.g. FAC from above is the Oracle Designer short name for FACILITY. Note, Oracle uses the entity short names for relationship name creation during the LDM to PDM transformation.
    For logical and physical diagrams IDA uses the diagrams title rather than the diagrams name during the import, which explains why IDA reports that there are duplicate CLASS_DIAGRAMs, I can easily work around that.

Also during the import when IDA see’s an attribute which belongs to a domain it thinks it is an attribute of its own. E.g.

ATTRIB NAME DOMAIN
    ID Primary_key
    FACILITY_FK Primary_key
    PERSON_FK Primary_key
    ORGANIZATION_FK Primary_key

Because the domain (i.e. Primary_key) is defined as a NUMBER, Length 38 it is used for all primary and foreign keys.
    However IDA will warn that there a 3 duplicate ID attributes…..pretty cool but its incorrect.

Regarding <WARNING> The object '' of type ASSOCIATION had to be renamed for name uniqueness purpose. I can’t figure out, since there is nothing indicating which ASSOCIATION (a.k.a. relationship) is a duplicate but there is a s#*tload of that particular WARNING..

Regarding <WARNING> Could not add 'APPLICATION_USER_ROLE' to schema '' because it already contains an object with the same name. I don’t understand this as well, there is an entity named APPLICATION_USER_ROLE and also a table by the same name, both of which are imported successfully.

So here’s my question, I set the Import Wizard’s options to the following:

Design Level Filter = None
    Import UDPs = As metadata
    Insert the description in the comment field = False
    Import IDs = True
    Encoding = Western European (windows-1252) (windows-1252)

Is there a “better” combination of options to use rather than the above to provide me with a cleaner outcome (import)?

Wow, I'm usually not this long-winded.

On the upside I just received our IBM Client Number for additional support…..don’t know what PMR stands for yet but I'll find out soon.

Thanks in advance,
    Val
    Hi Val,

When you are importing a .DAT file, the errors you see are caused by the incompleteness of the .DAT file. Nearly all of the "improvements" to the model itself are accomplished during the generation of the .DAT extract form Oracle Designer. We don't currently have any bridge import options which would address these issues.

One thing which may help to identify how best to generate the .DAT file is to install Oracle Designer on a machine where it has NO CONNECTIVITY to an Oracle environment, including the repository. In this way, you can open (import) .DAT files and see what the import bridge sees without the benefit of the Oracle environment around it.

Thanks,
    Robin