Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-10T11:34:42Z by deak6nt
deak6nt
deak6nt
6 Posts

Pinned topic Help With Creating DB2 Groups and Users

‏2012-08-23T13:58:41Z |
I am to IBM Data Studio. I am using the Full Windows Client. I am have a problem understanding how to set up a User for a database. I am following the Getting Started Guide. I am creating the plan according to the Guide. However, I don't have the permissions to run the plan.

What kind of permissions are necessary to create database groups and users? All of the commands in the plan are failing. Would someone help me get to Square One on this? I really could use your help. Links to any resources would be helpful, too.
Updated on 2012-09-10T11:34:42Z at 2012-09-10T11:34:42Z by deak6nt
  • freda521
    freda521
    5 Posts

Re: Help With Creating DB2 Groups and Users

‏2012-08-29T05:41:29Z  
    That because the connection user haven't DBADM permissions.
    A) If you just want to create a new user,the easiest method is use another user who already have DBADM credential to connect the database and create the user.(The default user is your system administator)

B) If you want to grant a new user have DBADM permission,you should do as below:
    1. If you under windows system,create a new user USER1 in DB2ADMNS user group.
    2. Open Data Studio, use admin user(already have DBADM credential) to connection the database and create a new user named USER1.
    3. Alter the privileges of USER1,grant the DBADM permission to it,deploy the change.
    4. Use USER1 to connect the database,now the USER1 have create user permission.

PS:You will never really create a user or a group because they are only created at OS level.In Data Studio GUI you only give/assign them individual rights.
  • deak6nt
    deak6nt
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-03T15:37:39Z  
    • freda521
    • ‏2012-08-29T05:41:29Z
    That because the connection user haven't DBADM permissions.
    A) If you just want to create a new user,the easiest method is use another user who already have DBADM credential to connect the database and create the user.(The default user is your system administator)

B) If you want to grant a new user have DBADM permission,you should do as below:
    1. If you under windows system,create a new user USER1 in DB2ADMNS user group.
    2. Open Data Studio, use admin user(already have DBADM credential) to connection the database and create a new user named USER1.
    3. Alter the privileges of USER1,grant the DBADM permission to it,deploy the change.
    4. Use USER1 to connect the database,now the USER1 have create user permission.

PS:You will never really create a user or a group because they are only created at OS level.In Data Studio GUI you only give/assign them individual rights.
    "PS:You will never really create a user or a group because they are only created at OS level.In Data Studio GUI you only give/assign them individual rights."

BTW, I am using Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks for that info. I had read that in the DB2 Data Studio PDF. I went through the PDF an created a plan to assign rights to that user. However, the created plans fail.

I have tried to clean by reinstalling DB@ however, I have run in to another error: Error 5 running command
    .\EXPC\image\setup.exe. I don't know how to resolve this problem either. I have posted a question to this forum.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  • freda521
    freda521
    5 Posts

‏2012-09-05T08:44:01Z  
    What is the sql exception of your failed change plan?
    And what the ".\EXPC\image\setup.exe" is?
    Is the db2 install failed or data studio?
    Could you give me more information.
  • bluey01
    bluey01
    41 Posts

‏2012-09-06T08:01:31Z  
    • freda521
    • ‏2012-09-05T08:44:01Z
    DB2 9.7 on Windows 64.

As a general question - how is the DS Web Console supposed to work for different users. For example -I can set myself up as DBADM, setup a repository database and it all works as expected. I can looat at several databases and see active connections and so on.

Now I want to let a developer monitor one of the databases they are using. So I can set them up in the repository as a DSWC user inder an appropriate group. However, it looks like for them to monitor a databases, then have to be setup in the database as a DBADM privilege?

Is this correct - if so, then what is the point - as they are a developer - they should not have DBADM access to a database. So how do they monitor their connections and see what is happenning?
  • deak6nt
    deak6nt
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-09T12:03:49Z  
    • freda521
    The failure is on DB2 Express C.
  • deak6nt
    deak6nt
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-09T12:10:01Z  
    • freda521

Setup.exe is suppose to launch the installation of DB2 Express C.
  • YuanFeng
    YuanFeng
    78 Posts

‏2012-09-10T01:57:18Z  
    • deak6nt
    • ‏2012-09-09T12:10:01Z

Setup.exe is suppose to launch the installation of DB2 Express C.
    If you db2 express-c setup.exe doesn't work,you can try ../EXPC/image/db2/Windows/DB2 Express-C.msi
  • deak6nt
    deak6nt
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-10T02:32:02Z  
    • YuanFeng
    • ‏2012-09-10T01:57:18Z
    If you db2 express-c setup.exe doesn't work,you can try ../EXPC/image/db2/Windows/DB2 Express-C.msi
    I will certainly try your suggestion. Sometimes a Windows User Account gets corrupted and prevents software from being installed. However, in this instance, deleting the account and recreating it didn't seem to work.

In any event, I prefer it in the same account as I have Rational Application Developer SE installed as well as my Outlook Email. I have a licensed copy. I am a J2EE Developer and RAD is my favorite Development environment. I am using these tools to learn new J2EE Frameworks, etc.

Thanks for your suggestion.
  • deak6nt
    deak6nt
    6 Posts

‏2012-09-10T11:34:42Z  
    • YuanFeng
    • ‏2012-09-10T01:57:18Z
    That seemed to have worked. I have just kicked off the install.

Thanks again!