Currently I have two IBM x3650 servers. I thought to install VMware ESX or Windows Server 2k8 R2 from a USB stick, but simply there is no BIOS option to boot form USB. There is a possibility to update something to make this option available? I can't believe that it can't boot from USB.
BIOS is the latest version (1.19)
This topic has been locked.
9 replies Latest Post - 2013-03-05T23:12:24Z by SystemAdmin
Pinned topic IBM x3650 boot from usb
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
Updated on 2013-03-05T23:12:24Z at 2013-03-05T23:12:24Z by SystemAdmin
Re: IBM x3650 boot from usb2012-08-22T11:41:44Z in response to kgrubisicHi,
If you are talking about the x3650 (Not M2, M3, or M4) then I have seen this issue.....I have successfully got it booting off USB for ESXi.
There will be NO option in BIOS for USB boot, you will need to press F12 for boot options and then select USB. Once you select it you will be asked if you want to make this choice "Persistent", select YES. It will then boot every time from USB.
Re: IBM x3650 boot from usb2012-08-24T12:03:59Z in response to BerniebgbbHi,
In BIOS is only one option that mentions USB, it's called "USB Drive" and it's enabled. I've tried front and rear USB ports. When I put the USB drive into the USB port LED indicators working on memory.
I tried again install ESXi to a USB memory. When ESXi boots up, list doesn't show USB storage until media isn't removed and put inside again. When I do that is visible...
Re: IBM x3650 boot from usb2013-01-31T22:38:04Z in response to kgrubisicI have set this up in the passed,
There will be no option in BIOS to set USB as constant boot, however it can be done.
1. Make sure you have latest Bios Ver.
2. Make sure you have USB options selected in BIOS
3. Insert USB and boot server
4. Select F12 (Boot options) during boot up.
5. USB will be displayed, select it and you will be prompted if you want to make it "Persistent" Boot.
Works after that, I have ESXi booting correctly constantly.
Re: IBM x3650 boot from usb2013-02-04T21:38:12Z in response to BerniebgbbBerniebgbb ,
My situation is identical to kgrubisic's. I have X3650 Type 7979.
- There is only one USB option in BIOS, and it's ENABLED
- I have latest BIOS (1.19)
- When I hit F12, the boot menu that comes up does NOT include USB as an option - EVER
- I have tried several different FULLY COMPATIBLE USB flash drives - the SanDisk Cruzer (8GB)
- I have tried external USB hard drive (Seagate 2TB with external power supply)
- I have tried every USB port on the machine
STILL - no ability to boot from a USB device.
We must be missing something if you are able to do this from the exact same machine. Any further thoughts ?
Re: IBM x3650 boot from usb2013-03-05T23:12:24Z in response to SystemAdminSanDisk Cruzer does not work.
I tried some others which did not work either despite doing everything described in various forums.
I went and bought a Imation for a few dollars and it worked perfectly for ESXi 5.1 as described in the forums.