• 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-05T23:12:24Z by SystemAdmin
kgrubisic
kgrubisic
3 Posts

Pinned topic IBM x3650 boot from usb

‏2012-08-21T13:57:53Z |
Hi all,

Currently I have two IBM x3650 servers. I thought to install VMware ESX or Windows Server 2k8 R2 from a USB stick, but simply there is no BIOS option to boot form USB. There is a possibility to update something to make this option available? I can't believe that it can't boot from USB.
BIOS is the latest version (1.19)

Thank you,
BRGDS
Updated on 2013-03-05T23:12:24Z at 2013-03-05T23:12:24Z by SystemAdmin
  • Berniebgbb
    Berniebgbb
    34 Posts

Re: IBM x3650 boot from usb

‏2012-08-22T11:41:44Z  
    Hi,

If you are talking about the x3650 (Not M2, M3, or M4) then I have seen this issue.....I have successfully got it booting off USB for ESXi.

There will be NO option in BIOS for USB boot, you will need to press F12 for boot options and then select USB. Once you select it you will be asked if you want to make this choice "Persistent", select YES. It will then boot every time from USB.

Regards

Bernie
  • kgrubisic
    kgrubisic
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-23T10:07:02Z  
    Hi,

If you are talking about the x3650 (Not M2, M3, or M4) then I have seen this issue.....I have successfully got it booting off USB for ESXi.

There will be NO option in BIOS for USB boot, you will need to press F12 for boot options and then select USB. Once you select it you will be asked if you want to make this choice "Persistent", select YES. It will then boot every time from USB.

Regards

Bernie
    Hi Bernie,

Yes, it's x3650 (not M2/M3/M4). This optin I have tried, but not working...
    Look picture.
  • Berniebgbb
    Berniebgbb
    34 Posts

‏2012-08-23T13:56:08Z  
    HI,

Make sure you have all USB options enabled in bios.

Also, are you (have you tried) using the rear USB ports?

Bernie.
  • kgrubisic
    kgrubisic
    3 Posts

‏2012-08-24T12:03:59Z  
    HI,

Make sure you have all USB options enabled in bios.

Also, are you (have you tried) using the rear USB ports?

Bernie.
    Hi,

In BIOS is only one option that mentions USB, it's called "USB Drive" and it's enabled. I've tried front and rear USB ports. When I put the USB drive into the USB port LED indicators working on memory.

I tried again install ESXi to a USB memory. When ESXi boots up, list doesn't show USB storage until media isn't removed and put inside again. When I do that is visible...

Tnx,
    BR
  • Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    6863 Posts

‏2012-08-27T04:02:30Z  
    • kgrubisic
    • ‏2012-08-24T12:03:59Z
    Hi,

In BIOS is only one option that mentions USB, it's called "USB Drive" and it's enabled. I've tried front and rear USB ports. When I put the USB drive into the USB port LED indicators working on memory.

I tried again install ESXi to a USB memory. When ESXi boots up, list doesn't show USB storage until media isn't removed and put inside again. When I do that is visible...

Tnx,
    BR
    Dear Kristijan,

it means you have not compatible USB key. Use any other.

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2013-01-29T19:41:54Z  
    • kgrubisic
    • ‏2012-08-24T12:03:59Z
    Hi,

Tnx,
    BR
    kgrubisic - Did you successfully resolve the USB issue?

If so, what did you do to resolve? What type of USB thumb drive is considered "compatible" with X3650 ?

-df
  • Berniebgbb
    Berniebgbb
    34 Posts

‏2013-01-31T22:38:04Z  
    I have set this up in the passed,

There will be no option in BIOS to set USB as constant boot, however it can be done.

1. Make sure you have latest Bios Ver.
    2. Make sure you have USB options selected in BIOS
    3. Insert USB and boot server
    4. Select F12 (Boot options) during boot up.
    5. USB will be displayed, select it and you will be prompted if you want to make it "Persistent" Boot.

Works after that, I have ESXi booting correctly constantly.

regards

Bernie,
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2013-02-04T21:38:12Z  
    I have set this up in the passed,

There will be no option in BIOS to set USB as constant boot, however it can be done.

1. Make sure you have latest Bios Ver.
    2. Make sure you have USB options selected in BIOS
    3. Insert USB and boot server
    4. Select F12 (Boot options) during boot up.
    5. USB will be displayed, select it and you will be prompted if you want to make it "Persistent" Boot.

Works after that, I have ESXi booting correctly constantly.

regards

Bernie,
    Berniebgbb ,

My situation is identical to kgrubisic's. I have X3650 Type 7979.

• There is only one USB option in BIOS, and it's ENABLED
    • I have latest BIOS (1.19)
    • When I hit F12, the boot menu that comes up does NOT include USB as an option - EVER
    • I have tried several different FULLY COMPATIBLE USB flash drives - the SanDisk Cruzer (8GB)
    • I have tried external USB hard drive (Seagate 2TB with external power supply)
    • I have tried every USB port on the machine

STILL - no ability to boot from a USB device.

We must be missing something if you are able to do this from the exact same machine. Any further thoughts ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts

‏2013-03-05T23:12:24Z  
    Berniebgbb ,

My situation is identical to kgrubisic's. I have X3650 Type 7979.

• There is only one USB option in BIOS, and it's ENABLED
    • I have latest BIOS (1.19)
    • When I hit F12, the boot menu that comes up does NOT include USB as an option - EVER
    • I have tried several different FULLY COMPATIBLE USB flash drives - the SanDisk Cruzer (8GB)
    • I have tried external USB hard drive (Seagate 2TB with external power supply)
    • I have tried every USB port on the machine

STILL - no ability to boot from a USB device.

We must be missing something if you are able to do this from the exact same machine. Any further thoughts ?
    SanDisk Cruzer does not work.
    I tried some others which did not work either despite doing everything described in various forums.
    I went and bought a Imation for a few dollars and it worked perfectly for ESXi 5.1 as described in the forums.