Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-22T06:21:21Z by jemanfu
jemanfu
jemanfu
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic connecting to Informix 7.3 on Linux problem

‏2012-08-18T07:59:19Z |
I need to connect some client software (SDK based) to an Informix 7.3 server running on a Linux box. when I've started tweaking the server was rejecting connections on the service port. now I narrowed down the problem to a -952 error "User's password is not correct for the database server.".

here I've noticed a strange behaviour of dbaccess, which I use locally (on Linux). I go to the "Connection" option, select a database server and just press ENTER for the user name to get a valid connection. but when I enter a user name, I am asked for the password, I am entering the password and get the same 952 error.

sqlhosts looks like:

fsrDBserver onipcshm fsr shmIDSservice
netDBserver onsoctcp 192.1.1.200 netDBservice

the behaviour is the same for both fsr and net servers.

thank you.
Updated on 2012-08-22T06:21:21Z at 2012-08-22T06:21:21Z by jemanfu
  • andreasl
    andreasl
    364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: connecting to Informix 7.3 on Linux problem

‏2012-08-18T11:09:15Z  in response to jemanfu
    Hello,

your Linux box (which flavor and version?) using any fancy, non-trivial authentication or password encryption method, or the user you're trying to connect as not a local user?
    Is this happening with any user, e.g. user informix as well? And has it worked already?

Cheers,
    Andreas
    • jemanfu
      jemanfu
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-19T06:09:24Z  in response to andreasl
      hi Andreas,

I am new to this job and I was concentrating on db issues. I was told it is a RedHat. I am (almost) certain there is no fancy authentication. I am using PuTTY to connect to the server, usually ssh. I've checked with several accounts. here is what I can tell:

root@fsr /root# cat /proc/version
      Linux version 2.4.2-2 (root@porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-79)) #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001

yes, it happens will all accounts, including informix. no, nobody has ever cared to install a remote client software. the previous IT guy had no skills on unix/networking so what I got is a pretty old and never approached problem.

thanks,
      Costin
  • jemanfu
    jemanfu
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-22T06:21:21Z  in response to jemanfu
    after several epic attempts to solve the problem, including strace-ing both server and dbaccess, I've remembered that the main goal was to quickly establish a client server connection so I went for a trusted one (security is not an important issue). so I can declare the problem solved.

one useful note: I am using IBM client SDK 3.70.TC5DE. I got a Setnet32 "Could not open Registry" error. the solution was from datadirect's knowledgebase site, article 3008:

"Check the INFORMIXSQLHOSTS variable in the Enviroment section of Setnet32 and confirm the value is correct. If the value is correct, clear the value and then try to set the Server and Host information."

thank you