Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-11T07:48:48Z by Michael_D
Michael_D
Michael_D
41 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic BranchCallback issue after upgrading to 12.4

‏2012-08-16T14:19:59Z |
In a Concert C++ project in Visual Studio 2010, after upgrading from version 12.2 to 12.4, the program crashes in the main() function of the branch callback after a few seconds, but not necessarily when the code is reached for the first time (depending on the problem instance):

int NumBranches = getNbranches(); 

if (NumBranches == 2) 
{ 

for (

int i = 0; i < NumBranches; ++i) 
{ IloNumVarArray vars(getEnv()); IloNumArray bounds(getEnv()); IloCplex::BranchDirectionArray dirs(getEnv()); getBranch(vars, bounds, dirs, i);

When execution enters getBranch(), it reaches the line

return doGetBranch(vars, bounds, dirs, i);

in ilocplexi.h. Then, there is no further source code. The call stack window says that IloBranchCallbackManager::getBranch() + 0xd5 bytes is entered and then IloNumExpr::IloNumExpr(const std::num_get<char,std::istreambuf_iterator<char,std::char_traits<char> > > & expr) Line 284.

The following message appears:

Unhandled exception at 0x0000000140622b96 in MyProg.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xffffffffffffffff

The code uses a cut callback in which cuts (real cuts, no lazy constraints) are added with add(). After switching to 12.4, this cut callback is now derived from IloCplex::UserCutCallbackI, whereas before, it was derived from IloCplex::CutCallbackI. When the line where the cuts are added is removed (that is, when no cuts are added), the above crash does not occur (in the first few minutes).

With 12.2, the code ran on three different computers for hundreds of CPU hours and millions of calls to this branch callback. What could be the problem here?
Updated on 2013-01-11T07:48:48Z at 2013-01-11T07:48:48Z by Michael_D
  • Michael_D
    Michael_D
    41 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: BranchCallback issue after upgrading to 12.4

‏2012-08-27T18:43:26Z  in response to Michael_D
    Hello everybody,

10 days and no reply - what's wrong with this post? The issue is still unresolved...
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7929 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-31T16:29:58Z  in response to Michael_D
      Please note that people contribute to this Forum when they find the time to do so. Sometimes people are on vacation, sometimes they are on a work-related trip. Sometimes they just don't find the time. There is no guarantee that your questions will be answered (or will be answered in a short time).
      If you need guaranteed response times then you might consider to contact the official support team (which would require holding a commercial CPLEX license).
      • Michael_D
        Michael_D
        41 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-27T08:53:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Daniel, don't get me wrong. My self-reply above was not a complaint. I am well aware that, as an academic user, I use Cplex and this support forum for free. I have benefitted a lot from the forum in the past, and I keep telling everybody about the great job you and the other contributors are doing. I just wasn't used to not getting a reply for so long, so I suspected that the post had simply been overlooked and gone down the list too far.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7929 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-01T14:08:16Z  in response to Michael_D
          OK, we are on the same page then.
          Unfortunately, you are right: sometimes things do get overlooked :-(
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7929 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-31T16:26:59Z  in response to Michael_D
    Your code looks correct to me.
    Does it help to disable presolve?
    Does your code use any non-linear constraints like min, max, or, abs, piecewise linear?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7929 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-18T07:14:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Just to repeat what Daniel said: the issue could be related to a new presolve reduction that we have added to CPLEX 12.3. This is the reason why Daniel asked whether disabling presolve would fix the issue for you. If not, we need to investigate further.

Tobias
      • Michael_D
        Michael_D
        41 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-27T08:58:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Meanwhile, I finished the project with version 12.2. After re-switching to 12.4, when trying out your proposal to turn off presolve (by setting
        MyCplex.setParam(IloCplex::PreInd, 0);

), the problem persists. There are no nonlinear constraints of any kind.
        Updated on 2014-03-24T22:51:28Z at 2014-03-24T22:51:28Z by iron-man
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7929 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-01T14:12:23Z  in response to Michael_D
          OK, I don't have more ideas what could be wrong.
          Is it possible to create a small example that reproduces the issue? Or does the issue only occur in a complex setup?
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            7929 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-01T14:17:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            It could be helpful if you could export your Concert model to an XML file using IloXmlContext right before invoking solve() and post that model here or send it to me daniel(dot)junglas(at)de(dot)ibm(dot)com.
            And yet another question: What does the getBranchType() function return before you call getBranch()?
            • Michael_D
              Michael_D
              41 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-11T07:48:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Just in case somebody is interested how this story ended:

Daniel proposed to set a hidden parameter to false:

cplex.setParam(IloCplex::BoolParam(2100), false);

This resolved the issue.
              Updated on 2014-03-24T22:42:15Z at 2014-03-24T22:42:15Z by iron-man