• Latest Post - ‏2012-09-11T14:36:08Z by Powell
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1807 Posts

Pinned topic How to create an repository for RAD and Installation Manager

‏2012-08-14T20:40:09Z |
I am using IBM Packaging Utility (IBMPU) to create an enterprise repository for
the Rational Tools that we are using.
I have some questions about how to use the IBM Packaging Utility for RAD (we are
using 7.5.5): the 7.5 basic package contains 6 zip files, each with their own
repository.config file. So should I copy each zip-file separately into
the enterprise repository. Actually the RAD software consists of much more than
these 6 zip files. Each of them is packaged as a separate repository. So copying
all these packages into our enterprise repository will take quite some time, and
looks very cumbersome. Isn't there an easier way to do this ?

Furthermore, it also seems that IMPU doesn't recognize these zip-files as
repositories. So must I unzip all these packages and then point each time
to the repository.config inside the unzipped directory ?

Another question:
Is it possible to add new versions of the IBM Installation Manager to the
repository ? When I tried it, I got an error that IBMPU didn't recognize the
IM-package as a valid repository ?

Thanks,
Marc
Updated on 2012-09-11T14:36:08Z at 2012-09-11T14:36:08Z by Powell
  • martina
    martina
    29 Posts

Re: How to create an repository for RAD and Installation Manager

‏2012-08-15T05:40:20Z  
    IM itself is a different beast, so you won't be able to copy it around with PU.
    You will have to unzip things. Although the docs say so, I have never gotten it to properly process a zip file.
    You may want to consider using composite repositories. It requires editing a text file, but gets rid of the copy that PU does. I thought IBM had finally documented it, but I still don't see it.
    Composite repositories (and much more) is described in http://www.releaseteam.com/installing_clearcase_and_clearquest_8-0/ .
    There is a lot of IM stuff in there. Ignore the CC and CQ specific stuff.

hth
    Martina Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun
  • Powell
    Powell
    51 Posts

‏2012-08-15T14:47:07Z  
    In order to install the packages using the IBM Installation Manager, IBMIM, or to copy packages using the the IBM Packaging Utility, IBMPU, you must take the initial step of unzipping the RAD product files. Once unzipped you can use the IBMPU to copy the input repositories to a single output repository. This output repository can be accessed directly using a disk path or it can be served by an HTTP server like Apache for remote access. We use HTTP servers and they work great. Just copy the repository created by the IBMPU to a directory that can be served by HTTP. Network shares suffer from performance problems over slow networks.

The installation manager package can put into the same repository as the product package(s), but you can not use the platform specific installation manager 'install kit' to do this. The install kit is not a repository. There is a muti platform repository that contains the full IBMIM package see http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24032358#fixpack

This will allow your end users to set their File > Preferences > Repositories to your single input repository and both update the IM to the required version and update their packages.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1807 Posts

‏2012-08-15T20:03:55Z  
    • Powell
    • ‏2012-08-15T14:47:07Z
    In order to install the packages using the IBM Installation Manager, IBMIM, or to copy packages using the the IBM Packaging Utility, IBMPU, you must take the initial step of unzipping the RAD product files. Once unzipped you can use the IBMPU to copy the input repositories to a single output repository. This output repository can be accessed directly using a disk path or it can be served by an HTTP server like Apache for remote access. We use HTTP servers and they work great. Just copy the repository created by the IBMPU to a directory that can be served by HTTP. Network shares suffer from performance problems over slow networks.

The installation manager package can put into the same repository as the product package(s), but you can not use the platform specific installation manager 'install kit' to do this. The install kit is not a repository. There is a muti platform repository that contains the full IBMIM package see http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24032358#fixpack

This will allow your end users to set their File > Preferences > Repositories to your single input repository and both update the IM to the required version and update their packages.
    Thank you both for your answers. They correspond to my experience, allthough I was hoping for an easier way to populate our repository.

Regards,
    Marc
  • EHJH_Luis_Seisdedos
    EHJH_Luis_Seisdedos
    1 Post

‏2012-09-11T14:08:42Z  
    Thank you both for your answers. They correspond to my experience, allthough I was hoping for an easier way to populate our repository.

Regards,
    Marc
    My question goes beyond the subject of this thread, but I think that it is a natural continuation for it.

In our company we are also using IBMPU to hold a centralized installation point of RAD (among other products) for all developers. But in addition we have added to RAD some Eclipse plugins that are very commonly used in our organization. So what developers do is :

1. They install RAD from an IBMPU repository that we hold in our premises. "LayoutPolicy" for this repository seems to be "P1".
    2. They add packaged plugins, through either a "ad-hoc" Eclipse update site or through a zip file. This kind of repository appears to be called "P2" type. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is related or not to the LayoutPolicy of IBMPU repositories...

We have thought that it would be useful if we managed to include our Eclipse plugins directly into the repository managed by IBMPU. In other words, we would like to integrate an Eclipse "P2" repository into an IBMPU "P1" one. Thus, RAD installation would be performed in one single stage. Does anyone know if such a thing is possible ?

Thank you in advance
  • Powell
    Powell
    51 Posts

‏2012-09-11T14:36:08Z  
    My question goes beyond the subject of this thread, but I think that it is a natural continuation for it.

In our company we are also using IBMPU to hold a centralized installation point of RAD (among other products) for all developers. But in addition we have added to RAD some Eclipse plugins that are very commonly used in our organization. So what developers do is :

1. They install RAD from an IBMPU repository that we hold in our premises. "LayoutPolicy" for this repository seems to be "P1".
    2. They add packaged plugins, through either a "ad-hoc" Eclipse update site or through a zip file. This kind of repository appears to be called "P2" type. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is related or not to the LayoutPolicy of IBMPU repositories...

We have thought that it would be useful if we managed to include our Eclipse plugins directly into the repository managed by IBMPU. In other words, we would like to integrate an Eclipse "P2" repository into an IBMPU "P1" one. Thus, RAD installation would be performed in one single stage. Does anyone know if such a thing is possible ?

Thank you in advance
    No, this is not possible. It does seem like a reasonable request for enhancement, RFE. You can create an RFE here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=submitRfe You must submit it against a product (The IBMPU is not a product), say RAD by choosing Rational, "Design & Development", "Application Developer"

The more details you supply about the use case and your usage of IBMIM the better.