3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-15T16:34:25Z by kevintap
mishriky
mishriky
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Migrating from WPF 6.1.2 to WEF 8.0.0

‏2012-08-14T12:19:50Z |
Hello,

I am currently considering upgrading my Websphere Portlet Factory projects, created on WPF version 6.1.2, to WEF version 8.0.0.

I was wondering if there are certain aspects which I need to take into consideration before making this move.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mina Mishriky
IT Architect - IBM Egypt
Updated on 2012-08-15T16:34:25Z at 2012-08-15T16:34:25Z by kevintap
  • kevintap
    kevintap
    111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Migrating from WPF 6.1.2 to WEF 8.0.0

‏2012-08-14T15:40:54Z  in response to mishriky
    Migrating from 6.1.2 to 8.0.0 is a big step. There have been many product changes, improvements and enhancements between those releases. We make considerable efforts to ensure that new product releases are compatible with applications written for older releases, however there are always limitations to how much compatibility can be achieved/guaranteed. You will likely find that you'll be able to upgrade your existing application(s) to 8.0.0 without affecting any functionality. This largely depends on which builders you've made use of in the models and how much (if any) of the internal workings of WPF you've exploited in custom code, custom javascript, etc. As always, testing must be conducted to ensure that your application is still operating as designed.

If you're using the default styling, there may be some stylistic changes in your application. The biggest change that you would likely need to be aware of and consider is the Smart Refresh feature, which was added in the 7.0 release. If you upgrade your existing project/workspace to 8.0.0, I believe that Smart Refresh will be disabled by default. However, if you create a new 8.0.0 project and move your project artifacts over to it, Smart Refresh will be enabled by default. I'd suggest considering whether you want to take advantage of the partial page refresh techniques that Smart Refresh provides when planning your upgrade.
    • mishriky
      mishriky
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-15T09:56:19Z  in response to kevintap
      Thanks for your response. Your answer raised a couple of questions for me:

1. The projects I need to upgrade are already on CVS. So, to follow your advice of creating a new project and moving the artifacts to it, I can no longer use the old ones, correct? In other words, is there no way to upgrade the already existing projects?

2. I understand that WEP 8.0.0 needs at least WAS 7.0 to work. However, it works fine with Portal Server 6.1. If I have Portal Server 6.1 running on WAS 6.1, should I expect any problems?

Thanks again for your help.
      • kevintap
        kevintap
        111 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-15T16:34:25Z  in response to mishriky
        1. You can upgrade the existing projects that are already in CVS, it would require a little different approach to working with CVS though. You would need to create a new project in your new workspace using the same name as the existing project in CVS. Then attach the new project in your new workspace to the existing project in the CVS repository. You should see some incoming changes from CVS (the project artifacts that you've contributed), and possibly some outgoing changes from your new workspace to CVS. This largely depends on how your source control is configured and what (if any) resources are ignored. Be careful about committing artifacts to CVS at this stage. I'd suggest that you accept all incoming changes first before committing any outgoing changes to CVS.

2. Portal 6.1 running on WAS 6.1 should be a supported configuration. However, you must be running on a Java 1.5 or later JRE.