Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-25T14:15:44Z by Champagne
bdswenson
bdswenson
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ReporterPLUS image formats

‏2012-08-09T15:44:23Z |
My group has been dealing with an issue trying to generate good looking reports from ReporterPLUS.

Our current workflow for reviews is: ReporterPLUS output to HTML then in IE, print to a PDF file using any one of the various PDF print tools available. The issue is that our diagrams look UGLY when exported this way. We've experimented with changing the diagram image type in our ReporterPLUS template from EMF to JPEG and this seems to work better but the ReporterPLUS documentation states that for HTML reports you must use EMF. Is this really accurate?

Or is there a way to improve the quality of the EMF image generated by reporterPLUS? Or is there a maybe a better way all together to get ReporterPLUS output into PDF form?
Updated on 2012-10-25T14:15:44Z at 2012-10-25T14:15:44Z by Champagne
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1305 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ReporterPLUS image formats

‏2012-08-10T15:12:54Z  in response to bdswenson
    Hi,

how about changing the image format to bmp or jpg?

See the technote on the support portal

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21419661

Cheers,
    Andreas
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1305 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-10T15:16:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Actually I read your issue wrongly, I see you changed the image type in the template (not sure how you are doing that).

i am talking about changing it in the registry.

Is that what you tried?

Andreas
      • bdswenson
        bdswenson
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-10T15:34:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Andreas,

Thanks for your response. First of all, you're correct that the image format change is not being specified in the template but rather in the tool itself. Second, changing the image format from EMF to JPEG is exactly what we're considering. However the reporterPLUS documentation it states:

"The same ReporterPLUS template can produce different results depending on the output type you specify when you generate a document. However, the default EMF graphic format must be used for the HTML report." (p16 in http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rsdp/v1r0m0/topic/com.ibm.help.download.rhapsody.doc/pdf75/reporterplus.pdf)

This seems really strange as every HTML browser in the world will display JPEG with no problems and so far it has seemed to work just fine for us.

I guess I'm really questioning the documentation that states that EMF format must be used in HTML reports...

Brian
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1305 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-27T09:37:05Z  in response to bdswenson
          Brian,

the documentation is wrong. You can change the image formats.

Andreas
  • Champagne
    Champagne
    42 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-28T08:18:12Z  in response to bdswenson
    I expect your problem is not with the quality of the EMF, when viewed outside the browser I've always found that the EMF gives excellent results however when viewed in a web page with IE then the image is not rendered particularly well.

With our reports I always produce the HTML with jpeg images, that way the useres can choose to view the HTML through which ever browser they prefer.

Personally if exporting to PDF I would probably go for a report to word and then either use OpenOffice to save as PDF which I have always found produces better results than M$ Word (although I think the latest version may have resolved some of the issues here).

Out of interest, why not just let them use the HTML, I have found this quite powerful as you have the ability to allow them to navigate through to the detail of each model artefact by clicking on the them in the diagrams.

Paul
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1305 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-24T19:16:20Z  in response to bdswenson
    The version of the documentation being referenced (7.5) is old. The statement about EMF format needing to be used for HTML output has been removed. Please refer to the new documentation for 8.0 available at:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rhaphlp/v8/index.jsp

Thank you.

Thomas Reynolds
    Information Developer, Rational Rhapsody
  • Champagne
    Champagne
    42 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-25T14:15:44Z  in response to bdswenson
    Actually I have only just noticed your emphasis on the use of EMF for HTML output, ever since Rhapsody 7.3 or 4 I have used JPG for HTML reports otherwise my users with Firefox couldn't see the images.
    As far as I am aware the HTML output has been image format agnostic for quite a long time and, although they don't scale as well as EMF images, the JPGs look better than EMF in a web page.

Paul