IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2019-07-02T16:46:42Z by anthonymaw
Sdrago
Sdrago
7 Posts

Pinned topic Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure Status:  Failed - incomplete array

‏2012-08-09T11:41:26Z |
So at my Datacenter, which is supposed to have triple power redundancy just had a complete power failure. Everything is online again. However, when I go into my one DS3400 it tells me one of my Logical Drives has failed, incomplete array. All the Drives are reporting Optimal Condition, I can see the Failed logical drive on the windows server that it's connected to. if I reboot the array is it possible that this failure might go away? or are there any other trouble shooting tips I can do for this?
Updated on 2012-10-21T17:56:35Z at 2012-10-21T17:56:35Z by mohamednabil
  • Sdrago
    Sdrago
    7 Posts

Re: Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure Status:  Failed - incomplete array

‏2012-08-09T11:43:21Z  
    I'm attaching the DS3400's support log if it's any help. I look through it and I'm not exactly sure what I am seeing.
  • Sdrago
    Sdrago
    7 Posts

‏2012-08-09T19:06:43Z  
    • Sdrago
    • ‏2012-08-09T11:43:21Z
    I'm attaching the DS3400's support log if it's any help. I look through it and I'm not exactly sure what I am seeing.
    I solved the problem with the IBM tech support. The Drive needed to be reactivate through a script. All hot spares needed to be put in a failed state. the drives needed to then be revived, then the logical drive needed to be started and reconstructed, then all hot spares needed to be brought back online. I'm not sure where he found the drives that were in need of reviving or how as when I looked through the logs I saw it say 7 were missing. The drives in general should be brought up in the order in which they failed. Mine all failed at the same time due to a power outage so mine would be brought up in any order the tech said. How ever this should never be done on a drive that has more than one logical drive on it as you need to revive specific pieces of the partition when it is that case. Here is its 1 logical drive to 1 group of disks in a raid 5 configuration. Also all scripts below were done in IBM DS Storage Management 10(Enterprise Management) in the execute script dialog.

My script looked like this:

Action plan:

Fail HS drives:

set drive 2,11 operationalState=failed;
    set drive 2,12 operationalState=failed;
    set drive 0,11 operationalState=failed;
    set drive 0,12 operationalState=failed;

To revive the array:

revive drive 2,7;
    revive drive 2,1;
    revive drive 2,3;

Verify data:

start drive 2,4 reconstruct;

Revive Hot spares:

revive drive 2,11;
    revive drive 2,12;
    revive drive 0,11;
    revive drive 0,12;

1. the numbers in the brackets represents Enclosure#,Drive#

I am also not sure how he discovered which drive to start the reconstruction of the array on, or which drives he found to revive, or how to know it was only those 3 as the system appeared to say 7 disks were missing (2,1-2,7). if anyone knows of a guide to teach me how to read these IBM ds3000 logs I would be greatly appreciative.
  • mohamednabil
    mohamednabil
    2 Posts

‏2012-10-21T17:56:35Z  
    hi all,

i have the same problem (failed -incomplete array ) i have logical drive called Database consists of 3 H.D Raid 5 this logical drive failed and the luns can not seen by Exchange server , first the hard disk in slot 2 in enclosure 0 appear defunct the array stile working for one days then appear this error with red colour , kindly check the attach logs .
    please if there is procedure to do to revive the defunct disk and get back the logical drive to it is status optimal ?,take in consideration no global hot spare disk
    please if there is a specially script to run to this array and how to run (method of running )?
    the status no this message appear in complete array and the disk in slot 2 in enclosur 0 orange led and no logical drive attach to exchange server
    please your quick response is highly appreciated (urgent case )

you can send the solution on my mail
    mohamed.nabil@nilecom.com.eg
  • mkolganov
    mkolganov
    1 Post

‏2017-06-07T12:38:15Z  
    hi all,

i have the same problem (failed -incomplete array ) i have logical drive called Database consists of 3 H.D Raid 5 this logical drive failed and the luns can not seen by Exchange server , first the hard disk in slot 2 in enclosure 0 appear defunct the array stile working for one days then appear this error with red colour , kindly check the attach logs .
    please if there is procedure to do to revive the defunct disk and get back the logical drive to it is status optimal ?,take in consideration no global hot spare disk
    please if there is a specially script to run to this array and how to run (method of running )?
    the status no this message appear in complete array and the disk in slot 2 in enclosur 0 orange led and no logical drive attach to exchange server
    please your quick response is highly appreciated (urgent case )

you can send the solution on my mail
    mohamed.nabil@nilecom.com.eg

Hi!

we have the same problem with the failed logical drives.

Al three logical drives in Failed state.

Could you please send us solution to my mail mkolganov@magnezit.com

Thank you.

Attachments

• anthonymaw
    anthonymaw
    2 Posts

‏2019-07-02T16:46:42Z  

hello gentlemen: 

In analyzing hardware failures and in particular the different modes of hard disk failure I came to the conclusion that some "failures" may be temporarily recoverable.

I don't fully understand the logic by which the DS controller deems a drive to be "failed" and takes an Array offline but it might be some performance data like SMART data that momentarily exceeded a triggering threshold.

You may be able to use the "Revive" function to restart a failed drive, bring the array back online long enough to reconstruct on a Hot Spare (assuming you lost 2 disks on a RAID 5) or at least to be able to copy out files. 

The message given by the IBM DS Manager GUI console is a bit misleading.

In some circumstances you might have more luck cooling the system a few degrees by putting a fan or blowing an air conditioner onto the system - an old trick from the PC world

No promises but it may be possible to bring the failed Array online long enough to copy out critical files and could save you an enormous amount of stress and work.

Updated on 2019-07-02T16:47:55Z at 2019-07-02T16:47:55Z by anthonymaw