Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-10T05:59:16Z by jacorona
jacorona
jacorona
15 Posts

Pinned topic Recomended usage of the diferent JVMSERVER types in CICS 5.1 (Open Beta).

‏2012-08-09T08:20:22Z |
Hi,

while in CICS 4.2 it seems obvious the intented usage of each JVMSERVER type (AXIS or OSGi), in CICS 5.1 (Open Beta) it doesn't seem so obvious to me.

A couple of questions:

1) WLP's supports OSGi. Could/should (not) it be used to deploy general OSGi services previously deployed in the OSGi JVMSERVER?
2) WLP supports JAX-WS. Could/should it be used to deploy web services implemented in Java, previously deployed in the AXIS2 JVMSERVER?

Any directions on what to deploy where (and why) in a CICS 5.1 environment?

Many thanks
Alfonso
Updated on 2012-08-10T05:59:16Z at 2012-08-10T05:59:16Z by jacorona
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    124 Posts

Re: Recomended usage of the diferent JVMSERVER types in CICS 5.1 (Open Beta).

‏2012-08-09T09:30:20Z  
    Hi Alfonso,

You can consider the CICS TS 5.1 Open Beta to have 3 types of JVM server. Axis2, OSGi and OSGi with Liberty profile. The Liberty profile JVM server is intended to provide a web container for JSP and Servlets. You would probably want your business logic in OSGi bundles and your presentation in a .war file. CICS bundles now have the capability to deploy both OSGi bundles and .war files to a Liberty enabled JVM profile. The servlet can either instantiate a class in the OSGi bundle or use JCICS link() to link to another Java program in the same or other JVM server. You can, if you wish, use a Liberty enabled JVM server is the same way as a non-Liberty enabled JVM server to deploy OSGi services and not use the web container.

The purpose of the Axis2 JVM server is to provide Axis2 function in CICS PIPELINE resources. Axis2 is not available as OSGi bundles, hence the requirement for it's own non-OSGi JVM server. The Liberty profile does not support JAX-WS.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Dave Roberts
    CICS/TS Delivery
  • jacorona
    jacorona
    15 Posts

‏2012-08-09T10:09:18Z  
    Hi Alfonso,

You can consider the CICS TS 5.1 Open Beta to have 3 types of JVM server. Axis2, OSGi and OSGi with Liberty profile. The Liberty profile JVM server is intended to provide a web container for JSP and Servlets. You would probably want your business logic in OSGi bundles and your presentation in a .war file. CICS bundles now have the capability to deploy both OSGi bundles and .war files to a Liberty enabled JVM profile. The servlet can either instantiate a class in the OSGi bundle or use JCICS link() to link to another Java program in the same or other JVM server. You can, if you wish, use a Liberty enabled JVM server is the same way as a non-Liberty enabled JVM server to deploy OSGi services and not use the web container.

The purpose of the Axis2 JVM server is to provide Axis2 function in CICS PIPELINE resources. Axis2 is not available as OSGi bundles, hence the requirement for it's own non-OSGi JVM server. The Liberty profile does not support JAX-WS.

I hope that helps.

Regards,
    Dave Roberts
    CICS/TS Delivery
    Hi Dave,

many thanks for your answer.

I'm not an expert in WAS (nor in the Liberty profile) and trying to understand its scope I found information in http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.wlp.nd.multiplatform.doc%2Ftopics%2Fcwlp_about.html. There it says that a Liberty profile has certain "features" (as they are called). For WAS these features are (taken from the mentioned information):

•Basic web application security
    •Bean validation
    •Blueprint
    •Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
    •Java Management Extensions (JMX)
    •Java Persistence API (JPA)
    •Java Server Faces (JSF)
    •Java Server Pages (JSP)
    •Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
    •Security
    •Servlet
    •Web application bundle (WAB)
    •Web security

Beeing my second failed guess (the first one was related to security), how could I know the current scope of the Liberty profile in CICS 5.1 Open Beta? Anything else apart from Servlet and JSP? Is it possible that this scope changes during the CICS 5.1 beta period?

Many thanks again.
    Alfonso
  • IvanHargreaves
    IvanHargreaves
    27 Posts

‏2012-08-09T18:04:32Z  
    • jacorona
    • ‏2012-08-09T10:09:18Z
    Hi Dave,

many thanks for your answer.

I'm not an expert in WAS (nor in the Liberty profile) and trying to understand its scope I found information in http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.wlp.nd.multiplatform.doc%2Ftopics%2Fcwlp_about.html. There it says that a Liberty profile has certain "features" (as they are called). For WAS these features are (taken from the mentioned information):

•Basic web application security
    •Bean validation
    •Blueprint
    •Java Database Connectivity (JDBC)
    •Java Management Extensions (JMX)
    •Java Persistence API (JPA)
    •Java Server Faces (JSF)
    •Java Server Pages (JSP)
    •Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
    •Security
    •Servlet
    •Web application bundle (WAB)
    •Web security

Beeing my second failed guess (the first one was related to security), how could I know the current scope of the Liberty profile in CICS 5.1 Open Beta? Anything else apart from Servlet and JSP? Is it possible that this scope changes during the CICS 5.1 beta period?

Many thanks again.
    Alfonso
    Hi Alfonso,

Support for the WebSphere Liberty Profile in the CICS TS 5.1 Open beta is limited to the Web container features only (such as JSP and Servlets).

As Dave mentioned, existing JCICS applications (such as OSGi bundles) and Web applications (as .war files) can co-locate in the same JVM server, and you can mix OSGi and WAR bundleparts in the same CICS Bundle.

thx
    Ivan.
  • jacorona
    jacorona
    15 Posts

‏2012-08-10T05:59:16Z  
    Hi Alfonso,

Support for the WebSphere Liberty Profile in the CICS TS 5.1 Open beta is limited to the Web container features only (such as JSP and Servlets).

As Dave mentioned, existing JCICS applications (such as OSGi bundles) and Web applications (as .war files) can co-locate in the same JVM server, and you can mix OSGi and WAR bundleparts in the same CICS Bundle.

thx
    Ivan.
    Many thanks, Ivan.