Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-10T13:26:45Z by Ivan_CA
DMocko
DMocko
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Data Studio 3.1.1 Install Questions

‏2012-08-08T18:58:20Z |
We are trying to get the Data Studio full client and the web console installed and have the following questions:

1. The Download Details for IBM Data Studio - Full Client V3.1.1.0 for Windows Multilingual indicates that Windows Server 2003 is supported, however I found that there is not a 32 bit and a 64 bit download to choose from. I also found that Data Studio documentation on supported OS does not include Windows 2003. Is the DS full client supported on Windows 2003 64 bit?

2. The Download Details for IBM Data Studio - Web Console V3.1.1.0 for Windows 64-bit Multiplingual indicates that Windows Server 2003 is supported, however I found that Data Studio documentation on supported OS does not include Windows 2003. Is the DS web console supported on Windows 2003 64 bit?

3. What we would really like to do is to install the full client and the web portal on each of our database servers (Windows 2003 64 bit & Windows 2008 64 bit) as we have discovered that performance is very slow when DS Full Client is installed on a desktop. Is it possible to install both components on each of our servers? Is there any additional software required to be able to run CLP commands, utilities (i.e., database backups), and run SQL in DS in this configuration?

4. If the DS Full Client is installed remotely from the DS web console is any additional software required to be able to run CLP commands, utilities (i.e., database backups), and run SQL in DS in this configuration? If additional software is required would this software be installed on the machine in which the full client resides, the machine in which the web console resides, or both?

5. Is CYGWIN required in order to run CLP commands, utilities, etc when the full client and web console are installed in Windows? If yes, is CYGWIN installed on the machine in which the full client resides, the machin in which the web console resides, or both?
Updated on 2012-08-10T13:26:45Z at 2012-08-10T13:26:45Z by Ivan_CA
  • Ivan_CA
    Ivan_CA
    52 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Data Studio 3.1.1 Install Questions

‏2012-08-09T17:23:22Z  in response to DMocko
    Hi ,

Please see below the answers for your questions. If you have any follow-up questions please let us know.

I'm interested to know what kind of performance problems you were hitting when DSFC was installed on your desktop. Most of us use DSFC like that with no issues. I have sent you a private message, please feel free to email me directly so we can work on this issue if you want.

Thanks,
    Ivan

---

1. The Download Details for IBM Data Studio - Full Client V3.1.1.0 for Windows Multilingual indicates that Windows Server 2003 is supported, however I found that there is not a 32 bit and a 64 bit download to choose from. I also found that Data Studio documentation on supported OS does not include Windows 2003. Is the DS full client supported on Windows 2003 64 bit?
    Answer: Data Studio 3.1.1 System Requirements does not list Windows 2003 as a supported platform. The main reason is that Win2003 went out of service in 2009/2010. The download details information is not correct. We will take measures to correct the info there in the future.

Link: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27024588
    2. The Download Details for IBM Data Studio - Web Console V3.1.1.0 for Windows 64-bit Multiplingual indicates that Windows Server 2003 is supported, however I found that Data Studio documentation on supported OS does not include Windows 2003. Is the DS web console supported on Windows 2003 64 bit?

Answer: Same as above.
    3. What we would really like to do is to install the full client and the web portal on each of our database servers (Windows 2003 64 bit & Windows 2008 64 bit) as we have discovered that performance is very slow when DS Full Client is installed on a desktop. Is it possible to install both components on each of our servers? Is there any additional software required to be able to run CLP commands, utilities (i.e., database backups), and run SQL in DS in this configuration?

Answer: Yes it's possible but there are a few things to keep in mind.

a. A single DSWC install is enough to monitor both DB2 Servers so you don't need 2 DSWC installs.

b. DSFC uses JDBC to run sql in sql editor so nothing else is need. To run utilities like a backup, DSFC requires DB2 Client libraries. Since you are installing DSFC in the same machine that DB2 Server resides, it will act as DB2 client so nothing else is needed. DSFC also requires SSH server on the DB2 Server machine for some of the operations.

c. DSWC needs SSH server setup on the machine where the DB2 Server resides in order to run DB2 CLP commands/Shell Scripts.

4. If the DS Full Client is installed remotely from the DS web console is any additional software required to be able to run CLP commands, utilities (i.e., database backups), and run SQL in DS in this configuration? If additional software is required would this software be installed on the machine in which the full client resides, the machine in which the web console resides, or both?

A. Same as above. In order to run DB2 CLP commands/Shell Scripts from DSWC, you need to have a SSH server setup on the machine where the DB2 Server resides.

5. Is CYGWIN required in order to run CLP commands, utilities, etc when the full client and web console are installed in Windows? If yes, is CYGWIN installed on the machine in which the full client resides, the machine in which the web console resides, or both?
    Answer:

For DSFC, if you accessing DB2 on Windows locally, you won't need CYGWIN. If you accessing DB2 on Windows remotely, you will need CYGWIN in some cases, for example, to browse the remote file system when choosing backup directory. CYGWIN will need to be installed on each DB2 Server machine.

For DSWC, even if the database is local to DSWC, we will still need CYGWIN installed to ssh to execute the DB2 CLP Commands/Shell Commands. To execute pure SQL statements, there's no need for SSH since DSWC uses JDBC.
  • DMocko
    DMocko
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-09T20:30:30Z  in response to DMocko
    Hi Ivan, thank you for your responses. If the IBM documentation is correct, DB2 LUW V10.1 does support the Windows 2003 SP2 OS. If V10.1 does support this OS and the Control Center tools are not available in V10.1 it would seem that DS would need to also support this OS. Can you confirm that V10.1 does support Windows 2003 SP2? Has there been any lab testing of DS 3.1.1 on Windows 2008 supporting DB2 LUW databases on Windows 2003? Are there any issues or items to be aware of with this configuration?
    • Ivan_CA
      Ivan_CA
      52 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-10T13:26:45Z  in response to DMocko
      Hi,

We in Data Studio are moving towards a statement that we will discontinue support for any platforms that are out of support by the platform vendor. Something along those lines will be added in our doc or system requirements in the future.

About the last configuration you mentioned, since you are installing DS on a Win2008 machine, I don't see any issues.

Thanks,
      Ivan