Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-10T08:04:40Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1807 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to update all products in a specific Package Group ?

‏2012-08-06T10:47:30Z |
We are using imcl to maintain +1000 workstation.

We can have several Package Groups on one workstation, with different combinations of installed products.
For example:

Ratioanal Business Developer v8
IBM WebShpere Application Server Test Environment v7
Ratioanal Developer for System z v8
Ratioanal Team Concert v8

Ratioanal Application Developer v7.5
Ratioanal Software Modeler v7.5

Ratioanal Method Composer v7.5
In order to have an easy and generic way to update, we are using -updateAll.
But thats not really what I want.
-updateAll updates all products in all Package Groups.
I want to update all products in a specific Package Group.
Am I missing something?
Any ideas?
A few Some notes...:
We are running Windows (XP and Win7)

It is very important to us to control which versions are installed.
So we install from locally maintained repositories - and uses <preference name='offering.service.repositories.areUsed' value='false'/>
Regards
Steen Larsen
Updated on 2012-08-10T08:04:40Z at 2012-08-10T08:04:40Z by SystemAdmin
  • Powell
    Powell
    51 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to update all products in a specific Package Group ?

‏2012-08-06T14:11:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You are correct, it is not possible to updateAll one package group.

Record the installation of the versions that you wish using:
    IBMIM -skipinstall tempDirectory -record responseFile
    see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r5/topic/com.ibm.silentinstall12.doc/topics/t_silent_create_response_files_IM.html
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r5/topic/com.ibm.silentinstall12.doc/topics/r_silent_inst_cmd_arg.html
    During the "record" mode of the installation manager install the desired versions of the packages into the same package group. Exit the IM and the responseFile will be created. This response file can be used to either install these versions into a machine that does not have the package group or it can be used to update the package group to the new versions.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1807 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-07T06:38:41Z  in response to Powell
      Hi Powell

Thank you for your reply.

Problem is, that we have +1000 installations with very different combinations of products.
      Therefore I need a generic response file.

In your proposal the productids to update are mentioned in the response file. But I don't know which products are installed on which machines.
      So I cannot tell how the response file should look like for the individual workstation.
      I just want to update all products within the same Package Group.

So I would really like to have support for -updateAll for one Package Group.
      How can I open a RFE for that ?

A workaround could be to maintain a generic response file containing update commands for all potentially installed productids.
      Is it allowed to use such a response file on an installation with only some of the products installed ?

Thanks
      Steen
      • Powell
        Powell
        51 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-07T17:45:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        You can open an RFE here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/rational/ which might be down till 4pm EST today :)
        You need to open the RFE against a product, I suggest RAD. There will be an attribute where you can choose Installation (or maybe even Installation Manager) from a drop down list. In your environment you do know the profile id of all the profiles? Would the enhancement be to have a profile attribute in the updateAll command like this: <updateAll profile="profile id" />

If you don't mind updating all of the package groups AND the same versions of a package should be in all package groups AND the repositories are limited to the ones that you create you can use updateAll. A potential problem for you might be the IBM WebShpere Application Server Test Environment v7 in package group A and B would have to be the same version.

Package Group A
        Ratioanal Business Developer v8
        Ratioanal Developer for System z v8
        Ratioanal Team Concert v8

Package Group B
        Ratioanal Application Developer v7.5
        Ratioanal Software Modeler v7.5

Unfortunately response files don't support and "update" command, just "install". Install does an install operation if there is nothing installed and will update if needed.

Just curious: How did you install these computers initially?
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1807 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-08T08:48:23Z  in response to Powell
          Hi again, Powell

The "update all in Package Group" command could look like you suggest.
          Or maybe...

<updateAll>
          <offering profile='IBM Software Delivery Platform V8'/>
          </updateAll>

/* or just 'update' instead of updateAll */
          Thank you for clarifying (what I actually already knew) about updateAll.

By using updateAll we, as you notice, have a problem with IBM WebShpere Application Server Test Environment v7.
          (But it's not only potential - it's real.)

I also see a potential problem, if we at some time needs to run two different versions of a product i two different Package Groups.
          Regarding my workaround suggestion...
          I was not aware, that you don't support 'update product'. This means, the workaround is not doable.
          Thanks for clarifying this.

---

How we handle our installations:

We maintain local Installation Manager repositories corresponding to the Package Groups we offer the users.
          Menaing we (right now) have a these repositories:
          'IBM Software Delivery Platform V8'
          'IBM Software Delivery Platform V7.5'
          'IBM Rational Method Composer 7.5'

Our installations are handled by sccm.
          One sccm package per product installation. So we have one install response file per product.

Examples:

sccm package 'RAD8 Install' issues:
          imcl.exe -input .\IBMSDP\80\ResponseFiles\installRAD80.xml ... (looks in 'IBM Software Delivery Platform V8' repository)

sccm package 'RBD8 Install' issues:
          imcl.exe -input .\IBMSDP\80\ResponseFiles\installRBD80.xml ... (looks in 'IBM Software Delivery Platform V8' repository)

sccm package 'RSM75 Install' issues:
          imcl.exe -input .\IBMSDP\75\ResponseFiles\installRSM75.xml ... (looks in 'IBM Software Delivery Platform V7.5' repository)

Except for the two potential problems mentioned above, this makes it possible to update a Package Group using -updateAll.
          like this: imcl.exe -input .\IBMSDP\80\ResponseFiles\updateAll80.xml ... (looks in 'IBM Software Delivery Platform V8' repository)

I know we can (re)use our install response files for updatating a single product.
          But the past has learned us, that almost every time we update one product, we also need to update the others in the same Package Group, to make sure shell sharing support is not broken.
          My conclusion is, we really need:
          <updateAll>
          <offering profile='IBM Software Delivery Platform V8'/>
          </updateAll>
          • Powell
            Powell
            51 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-09T21:46:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Another alternative is to create a response file for each package group that you support. Ask the users to choose a specific response file. v8Rad, v8Rbd, v8RadRbd, etc. The v8RadRbd has both RAD and RBD installed into the same package group. Don't supply a version number and the latest version number from the repository will be installed (or updated).

Maybe with some scripting you could choose the right one automatically. There is a command, imcl has a -listInstalledPackages command, see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r5/topic/com.ibm.cic.commandline.doc/topics/t_imcl_viewing_installed_packages.html
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              1807 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-10T08:04:40Z  in response to Powell
              I don't think your first suggestion is an option.
              We will have to maintain to many response files, because of different combinations.
              (A have not mentioned all our products in my examples)

I have and will consider do some scripting and create an appropriate update response file on the fly.
              But it should not be that difficult.

The "updateAll per Package Group" would solve it.

/Steen