Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-06T15:12:25Z by zoneaj
zoneaj
zoneaj
6 Posts

Pinned topic ITCAM for MQ Monitor Multiple Queues with Wildcard

‏2012-08-03T14:57:51Z |
I am using ITCAM for MQ 7.01.01 on AIX for alerting. Our ITM infrastructure is 6.2.3.1. I have to create alerts for about 50 MQ queues with more to be added later. All of the queues start with "ML.". Is there a way to monitor all of these queues with just one alert? I've tried "ML.", but this doesn't work and from what the IBM analysts told me that's how it's designed. So I tried "Scan for string within a string" and I put in "ML", but that doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have a way to blanket all ML. queues without having to enter each one separately?
Updated on 2012-08-06T15:12:25Z at 2012-08-06T15:12:25Z by zoneaj
  • zoneaj
    zoneaj
    6 Posts

Re: ITCAM for MQ Monitor Multiple Queues with Wildcard

‏2012-08-03T15:48:10Z  
    I have also been trying to grab every queue that meets my criteria and then using the Netcool Omnibus Rules to only grab the ML queues and sicard the rest. However, I can't even get an alert to fire on all queues. I left the queue name field out, but it seems you absolutely have to have that field. Can anyone confirm this?
  • PaulaA.
    PaulaA.
    2 Posts

‏2012-08-03T17:18:03Z  
    You did not mention which attribute group you are creating a situation on. For most attribute groups, such as Queue Statistics or Queue Status, you do not need to specify the queue name and if you do, then specifying a wildcard with the value operator will work. Using either the value operator with a wildcard, i.e. ML* (specify without quotes) or scan for string within a string should provide what you want. The only attribute group that does not allow wildcards (for MQ Monitoring agent) and that requires you to specify the queue name is Message Statistics attribute group due to the overhead of collection of this data. This restriction for Message Statistics can be found at: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/topic/com.ibm.omegamon.mes.doc_7.0.1/r_msg_statistic_detail.html
  • zoneaj
    zoneaj
    6 Posts

‏2012-08-03T17:41:24Z  
    • PaulaA.
    • ‏2012-08-03T17:18:03Z
    You did not mention which attribute group you are creating a situation on. For most attribute groups, such as Queue Statistics or Queue Status, you do not need to specify the queue name and if you do, then specifying a wildcard with the value operator will work. Using either the value operator with a wildcard, i.e. ML* (specify without quotes) or scan for string within a string should provide what you want. The only attribute group that does not allow wildcards (for MQ Monitoring agent) and that requires you to specify the queue name is Message Statistics attribute group due to the overhead of collection of this data. This restriction for Message Statistics can be found at: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/topic/com.ibm.omegamon.mes.doc_7.0.1/r_msg_statistic_detail.html
    Thanks Paula, I did forget to mention the attribute group. You figured it out though, it is the Message Statistics attribute. So is there any kind of work around for this? I'm guessing not from the information you provided. Thanks again.
  • PaulaA.
    PaulaA.
    2 Posts

‏2012-08-03T18:22:34Z  
    There is not workaround to allow wildcards with Message statistics attribute group. However, depending on what you need to generate an alert on, you may be able to use another attribute group, such as Queue Status, which provides some of the same information at less cost and allows wildcards. There is an attribute "Oldest Msg Age" that will provide the same information as "Oldest Msg(Secs)" in Message Statistics, and this is the most frequently used attribute. However, if you need breakdown by message priority or grouping by Application Name, Correlation ID, or Group ID, then you would still need to use the Message Statistics attribute group. If you tell me what attributes you are interested in, I can let you know if that data is available in another attribute group.
  • zoneaj
    zoneaj
    6 Posts

‏2012-08-06T15:12:25Z  
    • PaulaA.
    • ‏2012-08-03T18:22:34Z
    There is not workaround to allow wildcards with Message statistics attribute group. However, depending on what you need to generate an alert on, you may be able to use another attribute group, such as Queue Status, which provides some of the same information at less cost and allows wildcards. There is an attribute "Oldest Msg Age" that will provide the same information as "Oldest Msg(Secs)" in Message Statistics, and this is the most frequently used attribute. However, if you need breakdown by message priority or grouping by Application Name, Correlation ID, or Group ID, then you would still need to use the Message Statistics attribute group. If you tell me what attributes you are interested in, I can let you know if that data is available in another attribute group.
    PaulaA, thank you for the help. Once I set up an alert for Queue Status I was able to use wild cards and everything is functioning properly. Thanks again!