Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-05T22:52:25Z by saptarshiMukerji
hqjr
hqjr
9 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Migration Strategy

‏2012-08-01T10:21:43Z |
I know there are two ways to migrate from previous versions of WPS/WLE to BPM 8 as mentioned in this document
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/topic/com.ibm.iea.ibpmgr/ibpmgr/7.5/Migration/BPMv75_WPSMigration.pdf

1. Artifact Migration
2. Runtime Migration

In Artifact Migration, we create a new target environment of BPM 8.0, migrate the source code and deploy the migrated source code in new target environment. This new target environment uses new databases and if you have any existing running processes, then you have to run two parallel environments (source and target).

In runtime migration, we migrate the existing source profiles to target environment and also upgrade the existing database instead of creating the new database. In this case we get all our running instances in our target environment as well.

Now I have some special requirement. Is it possible that we first do the artifact migration and then migrate the existing data from our source environment to the new target environment database so that after artifact migration I also have all my running as well as completed instances in my target environment as well. Just to clarify that I want to do Artifact migration with existing data. I don't want to migrate the source profiles to target environment.

Please let me know how can I do this.

Thanks
HQJR
Updated on 2012-10-05T22:52:25Z at 2012-10-05T22:52:25Z by saptarshiMukerji
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Migration Strategy

‏2012-08-01T13:39:57Z  in response to hqjr
    Feels like what you want to do is to clone your existing Process Center and upgrade that in place, but leave the old one running so that you still have a 7.X Process Center while you check the new 8.0 Process center. So just do that. Clone your process center, make sure the clone is working, then do an inplace upgrade of the clone...

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
    • hqjr
      hqjr
      9 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-01T14:01:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks Andrew for your reply but I want to do the migration from WebSphere Process Server 6.2 to BPM 8.0.
      In this scenario how can I do that ...

Thanks
      Hatim
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-01T15:38:10Z  in response to hqjr
        I can't help you there. I'm a heritage Lombardi guy, so I don't have any data around WPS migrations.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
        • hqjr
          hqjr
          9 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-01T15:40:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hmmm ... Anyway thanks Andrew ...
          Maybe someone else will help me on this ....

Thanks
          HQJR
          • jose.cardoso
            jose.cardoso
            4 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-23T13:56:30Z  in response to hqjr
            Hi HQJR,

Did you find a way to do the Artefact migration and then the Runtime migration?

We come across with this situation.

Thank you
  • saptarshiMukerji
    saptarshiMukerji
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-05T22:52:25Z  in response to hqjr
    Not sure exactly what you mean by you want to migrate the existing data. But if I understand correctly you current have a running profile for WPS x.x and want to migrate it to BPM 8.0. The strategy that I would use is a run time migration, in that way you automatically migrate the existing data and profiles from older version of WPS to BPM 8.0. If you are running BPM 7.5.1, then BPM 8.0 allows you to run it on a compatibility mode for the artefacts that are migrated from BPM 7.5. Then you can do a source code migration of the artifacts from the client tools (IID/PD) and deploy the artifacts in BPM 8.0.
    Currently, we are also migrating from BPM 7.5 to BPM 8 and using the runtime migration strategy.