Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-26T22:43:52Z by scottjsn
scottjsn
scottjsn
21 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM RAD (WAS) Test Environment

‏2012-07-26T19:30:14Z |
Installed IBM RAD 8.0.4. During the installation process, I selected the WAS 8.0 Test Environment. After the RAD was installed, I tried to create a test server within the IDE.

On first Screen Define New Server --> selected WAS 8.0 --> on 2nd screen, it asked for Installation Directory.

Question: Hadn't the WAS 8.0 Test Environment been installed after I checked it during the RAD installation process? Or, I do need to install the Test Environment separately from the RAD?
Updated on 2012-07-26T22:43:52Z at 2012-07-26T22:43:52Z by scottjsn
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM RAD (WAS) Test Environment

‏2012-07-26T19:35:30Z  in response to scottjsn
    Hi scottjsn

You need to install WAS 8.0 separately. What you installed in RAD through IM was the WAS 8.0 development tools and, probably, the stubs. No an actual server.

Hope this helps

21 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-26T20:09:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Yes. It is the stubs that got installed.

When I download the RAD from the PassportAdvantage center, I also downloaded the WAS version 8 Test Environment.

This what I'll do next.

1)install the test environment under /opt/WebSphere/TestAppServer
      2)from the RAD's server tab, create a new server and point the server location to /opt/WebSphere/TestAppServer

In my workspace, I have created a dynamic web project and a Enterprise Application project which is added/published to the test envrionment server. I can test the web app directly against this server
      Now, the reason I used the word "directly" is that I am gong to install a standalone WAS for Developer edition (v8.5). This server is a full fledged app server, not a test environment. So in order to test my web app, I'll need to first build an EAR file (such as using ANT), then deploy/publish the EAR to this server, before I can test it.

Would you please verify my steps to see if I am on the right track.
      • scottjsn
        scottjsn
        21 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-26T20:26:45Z  in response to scottjsn
        Also, when I downloaded the v6 and v7 Test Environment, it clearly indicated that it was 32 or 64 bit. But for WAS v8.0 Test Environment, it did not mention it was 32 bit or 64 bit software. During my installation of the v8.0 Test Environment, it did not mention this information, either. It just indicted a 64 bit IBM JDK will be installed.

Then, is it 32 or 64 bit runtime for v8 test environment?
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          14225 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-26T20:50:48Z  in response to scottjsn
          As far as I understand, you should not have any problem to publish an application to either WTE or standalone as long as the archive is well formed. Moreover, my understanding is that you can install a WAS standalone in RAD if this WAS is a base (ND is not supported in RAD).

To know exactly the architecture you have installed in your machine, use the following command in the command line
          <WAS_Install_Dir>\bin\versionInfo.bat

It will show you the WAS architecture as well as the JDKs installed (in Installed Features), For instance, this is what I got:

Product List

BASE installed

Installed Product

Name IBM WebSphere Application Server
          Version 8.5.0.0
          ID BASE
          Build Level gm1218.01
          Build Date 5/1/12
          Package com.ibm.websphere.BASE.v85_8.5.0.20120501_1108
          Architecture x86 (32 bit)
          Installed Features IBM 32-bit WebSphere SDK for Java
          WebSphere Application Server Full Profile