Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-31T19:34:19Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
693 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Multiple Content Elements

‏2012-07-26T18:57:24Z |
Is it possible to use multiple content elements as a mechanism to retrieve part of a large file? We need a method to seek or randomly access bytes within a large file being managed by P8. Reading in the complete file to process a byte range is what we are trying to avoid.
Updated on 2012-07-31T19:34:19Z at 2012-07-31T19:34:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • drdamour
    drdamour
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Multiple Content Elements

‏2012-07-30T19:59:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    only if you were to split the file up in the byte chunks on add/check-in.

each content element is just a byte store, there are conventions that the OOTB applications follow regarding how to interpret those byte stores, but you can break those conventions if needed.

When you access content with the Java API you get an Java.IO.InputStream implementation that you can call Skip(n) on. Now i'm not certain if the skip will be pushed all the way to the underlying byte store, but it's your best compliant performance option.

going outside of compliance/supported methods, you can always get to the underlying data store for read access. IE if it's a filestore backing your CE repository, each content element is a file in your file system. You can locate the file by reverse engineering the storage algorithm and access the file directly, skipping over the necessary bytes. A similar approach could be used for a database store, or (i suspect) a fixed device store using that fixed devices native API.

But i'd find it suspect that the performance benefits would be that great in any of those scenarios. Id' be interested in your results though.

I am Just a new Boy,
    A Stranger in this Town,
    Where are All the Good Times,
    Who's Gonna Show this Stranger Around?
    Check out our Agile ACM Catalogue: Widgets, APIs, & Components for Building Solutions
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      693 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-30T20:30:07Z  in response to drdamour
      Besides being unsupported (and subject to arbitrary changes that will break your code), directly accessing the files would bypass CE security checks. It is very difficult to get that right from an application layer above the CE. (We've seen a lot of failed attempts.)
      • drdamour
        drdamour
        40 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-31T19:24:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        No doubt i wouldn't suggest that approach.

can you comment on the implementation of Skip on the input stream returned when accessing content element content? is the skip pushed all the way down to the storage device (which is probably cache at some point) such that any overhead of loading up the bytes is irrelevant, or does the api return the entire stream to you across the wire, and you're just skipping in memory on the client?

I am Just a new Boy,
        A Stranger in this Town,
        Where are All the Good Times,
        Who's Gonna Show this Stranger Around?
        Check out our Agile ACM Catalogue: Widgets, APIs, & Components for Building Solutions
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          693 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-31T19:34:19Z  in response to drdamour
          Skip would be purely on the client. It's one of the very few areas where you can do something in CEWS that you can't do via the CE or Java APIs.