Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-13T16:37:32Z by Tomas_Z
MattRuppert
MattRuppert
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Memory Analyzer Error: Return Code 13

‏2012-07-26T14:14:02Z |
I am having trouble running the Memory Analzyer report on the EAR deployment version of the ISA5 beta. All other tools seem to be working fine. The report runs for about 5 minutes and then returns error code 13. It appears that files are being saved a temporary folder location. Is there any way to change this location? Attached is the error log. Thank you.
Updated on 2012-08-13T16:37:32Z at 2012-08-13T16:37:32Z by Tomas_Z
  • JonathanPLawrence
    JonathanPLawrence
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Memory Analyzer Error: Return Code 13

‏2012-07-26T15:30:34Z  in response to MattRuppert
    Michal Jonik has just posted this information in another thread - does this help your problem?

Author:
    michal.jonik

You can change the workspace location by modifying rcp.data property in rcp/rcplauncher.properties file.
    The safest way to change it is:
    • shutdown the workbench
    • move the workspace to a new location
    • update the rcp.data property to point to the new location
    • start the workbench

--Michal Jonik
    http://mjonik.pl
    • MattRuppert
      MattRuppert
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-27T19:51:11Z  in response to JonathanPLawrence
      It seems that it is running out of space when it is saving to a temporary location.

java Subtask: Writing /tmp/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer-t0727.143641.144580.d/work/heapdump.20120402.095015.13893656.0001.idx.index

The error I am getting specifically is:
      Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device

Any ideas?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        642 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-30T15:59:26Z  in response to MattRuppert
        Try adding a declaration for TMPDIR_PATH to "isa.properties", appropriate for your host filesystem configuration.

1. A directory to use for temporary working storage. This should map to a
        2. filesystem with many GB of free space, to accomodate working storage
        3. for dump analysis tools.
        TMPDIR_PATH=/tmp

-rick
        • MattRuppert
          MattRuppert
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-30T21:05:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I added TMPDIR_PATH=/myfolder to the isa.properties file with available storage of 9GB and I am still getting the same error. I get this error:
          java.io.IOException: No space left on device
          An error has occurred. See the log file

And it still looks like it is trying to write to that same /tmp directory:

Subtask: Writing /tmp/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer-t0730.155546.734496.d/work/heapdump.20120402.095015.13893656.0001.idx.index
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            642 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-03T20:41:27Z  in response to MattRuppert
            Matt,

I suspect you neglected to restart ISA after this properties file change (and I neglected to mention that this is required). At present, these properties are only read on application startup.

Also, in the EAR deployment, make sure you are adding this declaration to the 'copy' of isa.properties, as noted in step 2 here:
            http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27024926

Having done that, you should see that new value echoed out in your appserver SystemOut log. Example:

TMPDIR_PATH=/home/isauser/myfolder

Then after launching MAT, if you look in the t*.log file in the MAT output directory you should see that the value of the command line option "-Dosgi.instance.area" reflects the new location.

-rick
            Updated on 2012-08-03T20:41:27Z at 2012-08-03T20:41:27Z by SystemAdmin
            • MattRuppert
              MattRuppert
              7 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-06T14:49:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi Rick,

I was able to successfully change the TMPDIR_PATH but I am still getting error code 13. I am not sure what is happening at this point. Attached is the Standard Out Stream Log file. Thank you for your assistance.

• Matt
              • Tomas_Z
                Tomas_Z
                15 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-13T16:37:32Z  in response to MattRuppert
                Hello Matt,

I have looked at the log file you have provided and it seems the issue is related to loading Eclipse SWT related plugins.
                Especially on Linux platform these plugins will fail to load if there is no X server available or isa5.properties does not have the right display number. In order to indentify if this might be the cause of the issue you are experiencing, could you please provide more detailed information about your setup? Is there an X server running, is there DISPLAY environment variable set, does the JRE instance running the ISA5 Ear have the DISPLAY environment variable set?

Also, when the tool runs(any tool), there are two log files generated. One log you have already attached, however, there is additional information in the log file with name ending with "-err.log" (in this case it would be "t0806.084139.116323-err.log"). Please attach that log file as well.

Tomas