Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-10-29T16:51:12Z by samlowry63
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3105 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic one table in one table space and one table space in each database?

‏2012-07-24T12:57:57Z |
On http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/dzichelp/v2r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2z10.doc.intro/src/tpc/db2z_tablespaces.htm, it says "As a general rule, you should have only one table in each table space. It is also best to keep only one table space in each database. If you must have more than one table space in a database, keep no more than 20 table spaces in that database."

It doesn't sound right to me since it seems to recommend to have one table in one database?

By the way, there are some rationales for one table per table space such as those listed @ http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9374338/why-does-db2-suggest-one-table-per-tablespace. Does anyone know if there is concern about lock escalation to table space level in DB2 10 for Z/OS?
Thanks,

Miao
Updated on 2012-10-29T16:51:12Z at 2012-10-29T16:51:12Z by samlowry63
  • samlowry63
    samlowry63
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: one table in one table space and one table space in each database?

‏2012-10-29T16:48:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

One table by tablespace is easier to manage and to avoid some problems! For example, when you make a LOAD on a table with RESUME NO REPLACE, you can empty all your others tables in your tablespace if you have others tables.

Database is a gestion component. You can put several TS in your database. But you must think about DBD size. You can list it by pass this DB2 command; -dis db(database) space(tablespace) limit(*).

DBD are loaded in EDM pool and this pool must be manage. More you put TS in one database and more you DBD increase.

I hope this can help you...

Sam
    • samlowry63
      samlowry63
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: one table in one table space and one table space in each database?

‏2012-10-29T16:51:12Z  in response to samlowry63
      I forget to explain DBD as "Data Base Descriptor"...

bye