Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-10T08:55:03Z by GKellner
kdasari
kdasari
14 Posts

Pinned topic Clearcase vs Jazz Source Control

‏2012-07-23T07:34:52Z |
We are planning to upgrade to Clearcase 8.x . Was surprised to see Jazz Source Control from IBM. Has anyone worked on this and should we upgrade to Clearcase or to this new Jazz Source Control . If so what is happening to Clearcase , is IBM planning to remove it ??

Thanks
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts

Re: Clearcase vs Jazz Source Control

‏2012-07-24T15:56:38Z  
    Jazz source control is in RTC (Rational Team Cocert). RTC now has v4 out, so its been comming for a while now.
    IBM told us this year that there is no desire to retire ClearCase.
    RTC can use ClearCase as source control.
    The IBM sales people do love to sell you RTC.
    Whether RTC makes sense for you depends a lot on how big and customized your CC (and your bug tracking system) is, what your process is etc. etc. etc.

Just from a source control point of view, ClearCase is a very mature system and Jazz source control is a bit more light-weight and definitely more like a teenager from my point of view.
    The strength of RTC are the planning features and tight integration with work items.

Look carefully before you jump.
    hth

Martina
    Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun
  • jcibsen
    jcibsen
    4 Posts

‏2012-07-25T13:00:12Z  
    <Posting on behalf of Howie, some problems with the forums today>

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your question. Jazz (RTC) source control has been available for several years, and is a part of Rational's portfolio of SCM solutions, which includes ClearCase, Synergy and RTC SCM. Each of these solutions fulfill certain requirements, and while there is overlap, there are also significant differences which provide unique value. It would be impossible to tell you in this response if RTC SCM is appropriate for your development organization. You would need to evaluate RTC SCM from a technical perspective to understand if it fits your process and development requirements. I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you wish.

The latest release of ClearCase 8 has many performance, quality and functional improvements. I would encourage you to review the release report here: http://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27023087&aid=1 if you have not already done so.

IBM continues to invest in ClearCase, and we have a roadmap in place for significant enhancements in the future.

Thanks,

Howie Bernstein

ClearCase Product Manager

hbernstein@us.ibm.com
  • Tgefen
    Tgefen
    727 Posts

‏2012-07-25T13:53:10Z  
    • martina
    • ‏2012-07-24T15:56:38Z
    Jazz source control is in RTC (Rational Team Cocert). RTC now has v4 out, so its been comming for a while now.
    IBM told us this year that there is no desire to retire ClearCase.
    RTC can use ClearCase as source control.
    The IBM sales people do love to sell you RTC.
    Whether RTC makes sense for you depends a lot on how big and customized your CC (and your bug tracking system) is, what your process is etc. etc. etc.

Just from a source control point of view, ClearCase is a very mature system and Jazz source control is a bit more light-weight and definitely more like a teenager from my point of view.
    The strength of RTC are the planning features and tight integration with work items.

Look carefully before you jump.
    hth

Martina
    Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun
    I totally agree with Martina. I heard that ClearCase has a roadmap for the next 4 years at least.

Besides, I'd like to say that we develop our products by intergrating ClearCase UCM with RTC V4. We use the SCM of ClearCase (V8) and we use the "bridge" connection. It works very good and we enjoy all features together:
    • Mature SCM (and also the unique features of ClearCase like dynamic views)
    • Agile Planning
    • A Dashboard (currently for RTC only. Soon we'll integrate it with ClearCase assets).
    • Build capabilities

Regards,
    Tamir Gefen, GoMidjets
  • JirongHu
    JirongHu
    687 Posts

‏2013-10-07T20:39:32Z  
    • jcibsen
    • ‏2012-07-25T13:00:12Z
    <Posting on behalf of Howie, some problems with the forums today>

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your question. Jazz (RTC) source control has been available for several years, and is a part of Rational's portfolio of SCM solutions, which includes ClearCase, Synergy and RTC SCM. Each of these solutions fulfill certain requirements, and while there is overlap, there are also significant differences which provide unique value. It would be impossible to tell you in this response if RTC SCM is appropriate for your development organization. You would need to evaluate RTC SCM from a technical perspective to understand if it fits your process and development requirements. I would be happy to discuss this with you further if you wish.

The latest release of ClearCase 8 has many performance, quality and functional improvements. I would encourage you to review the release report here: http://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27023087&aid=1 if you have not already done so.

IBM continues to invest in ClearCase, and we have a roadmap in place for significant enhancements in the future.

Thanks,

Howie Bernstein

ClearCase Product Manager

hbernstein@us.ibm.com

HI Howie

"IBM continues to invest in ClearCase, and we have a roadmap in place for significant enhancements in the future."

What kind of significant enhancements?

Jirong

• GKellner
    GKellner
    259 Posts

‏2013-10-10T08:55:03Z  
    • JirongHu
    • ‏2013-10-07T20:39:32Z

HI Howie

"IBM continues to invest in ClearCase, and we have a roadmap in place for significant enhancements in the future."

What kind of significant enhancements?

Jirong

If you search the internet you'll find something regarding ODFS, a new file system for remote work I think, and I remember a post here in the forum, where a redesign of the MVFS was mentioned.

greetings georg.