Topic
  • 34 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-17T14:25:14Z by SystemAdmin
FrankoiTlse
FrankoiTlse
3 Posts

Pinned topic "Stream ended unexpectedly" exception when processing huge file uploads

‏2012-07-21T14:29:34Z |
Hello everyone,

Our customer recently decided to migrate my application to WebSphere AS 7.0. It is presently deployed on JBoss 4.2 servers. One of the features of this application is to enable large (let's say huge) file uploads using HTTP multipart POST requests. The limit size of such requests is 4 GB.

The multipart POST request processing is achieved using Apache's commons-fileupload library, version 1.2.2. We moved to version 1.2.2 because version 1.2 had a 2 GB limit for HTTP requests (due to the usage of an int instead of a long to store the content length).

The application works perfectly on any Tomcat-based application server. The only condition is to configure Tomcat by setting a proper POST request size limit (parameter *maxPostSize*).

My problem is that when I deploy the application to WebSphere AS 7.0 and I try to send a file upload request greater than 2 GB, I have the same exception as when I was using commons-fileupload 1.2:

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$IOFileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
+ at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:359)+
+ at org.apache.commons.fileupload.servlet.ServletFileUpload.parseRequest(ServletFileUpload.java:126)+

I do not face this problem when my file upload request has a size smaller than 2 GB. Plus, I am not using any Apache/IHS web server and I perform my tests only by sending my requests directly to the WebSphere AS.

I tried to modify the Web container's custom property disableRequestMessageChunking but it seems to have no effect.

Did I miss other server properties to modify ? Or is there a 2 GB built-in limit in WAS ?

Thanks in advance,

FrankoiTlse
Updated on 2012-12-17T14:25:14Z at 2012-12-17T14:25:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

Re: "Stream ended unexpectedly" exception when processing huge file uploads

‏2012-07-21T14:53:02Z  
    > Did I miss other server properties to modify ? Or is there a 2 GB built-in limit in WAS ?
    >

Definitely in the WAS Plugin for request bodies sent with content-length.

Can you force the request to use Transfer-Encoding: chunked and see if it affects the WAS behavior?
  • FrankoiTlse
    FrankoiTlse
    3 Posts

‏2012-07-21T18:46:47Z  
    > Did I miss other server properties to modify ? Or is there a 2 GB built-in limit in WAS ?
    >

Definitely in the WAS Plugin for request bodies sent with content-length.

Can you force the request to use Transfer-Encoding: chunked and see if it affects the WAS behavior?
    Hello Eric, and thank you.

No, I do not have a way to force the clients to send the requests in chunked mode.

Isn't there a way to get rid of this 2 GB limit ? Is it hard-coded in WebSphere AS ?

FrankoiTlse
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-07-22T01:21:44Z  
    Hello Eric, and thank you.

No, I do not have a way to force the clients to send the requests in chunked mode.

Isn't there a way to get rid of this 2 GB limit ? Is it hard-coded in WebSphere AS ?

FrankoiTlse
    > FrankoiTlse wrote:
    > Hello Eric, and thank you.
    >
    > No, I do not have a way to force the clients to send the requests in chunked mode.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to get rid of this 2 GB limit ? Is it hard-coded in WebSphere AS ?
    >

Without experimentation or a confirmation from IBM in a PMR/technote, it's hard to tell what's actually going on.
  • FrankoiTlse
    FrankoiTlse
    3 Posts

‏2012-07-22T12:47:24Z  
    > FrankoiTlse wrote:
    > Hello Eric, and thank you.
    >
    > No, I do not have a way to force the clients to send the requests in chunked mode.
    >
    > Isn't there a way to get rid of this 2 GB limit ? Is it hard-coded in WebSphere AS ?
    >

Without experimentation or a confirmation from IBM in a PMR/technote, it's hard to tell what's actually going on.
    I do not think that the problem comes from the WAS plugin because for my tests I did not use any web server, only a standalone WebSphere AS 7.0.0.19 installation.

It seems that IHS enables to modify the size limit of a POST request, or to disable this limit using property PostSizeLimit in the plugin configuration. But the application server itself does not enable to modify this limit, and the WAS's limit is neither modifiable nor documented.

I cannot believe that I am the first user having this problem. Do you know where I can look for a technical note regarding this issue ?

Thank you,

FrankoiTlse
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T14:27:46Z  
    Hi FrankoiTlse,

Finally did you get the solution to your problem of upload with WAS ?
    I've got exactly the same exception and I haven't found any solution on the web.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T14:42:56Z  
    Hi FrankoiTlse,

Finally did you get the solution to your problem of upload with WAS ?
    I've got exactly the same exception and I haven't found any solution on the web.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
    Hi, which operating system are you using, including the version, and which version of WAS are you using?

Regards,
    Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:02:27Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T14:42:56Z
    Hi, which operating system are you using, including the version, and which version of WAS are you using?

Regards,
    Brian
    Hi,

WAS : 6.1.0.29

In addition, uploading a huge file (gt 4GB) works fine on JBoss Server on my desktop environment with Firefox 17 and IE9.
    On the deployment environment, the JEE AS is WAS and it's KO. A simple upload CGI which only uses the Web server (IHS) is OK, that's why I guess the WAS config must be modified.

Thanks.
    Sam
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:13:32Z  
    Hi,

WAS : 6.1.0.29

In addition, uploading a huge file (gt 4GB) works fine on JBoss Server on my desktop environment with Firefox 17 and IE9.
    On the deployment environment, the JEE AS is WAS and it's KO. A simple upload CGI which only uses the Web server (IHS) is OK, that's why I guess the WAS config must be modified.

Thanks.
    Sam
    Hi, Windows desktop and Solaris are completely different in how they handle files. As far as I know WAS does not set a limit to file sizes. Check the maximum size of a file that can be written by using "ulimit -a" and see what the maximum blocks are allowed. Also, where are you seeing this error? In which log?

Regards,
    Brian
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:17:45Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T15:13:32Z
    Hi, Windows desktop and Solaris are completely different in how they handle files. As far as I know WAS does not set a limit to file sizes. Check the maximum size of a file that can be written by using "ulimit -a" and see what the maximum blocks are allowed. Also, where are you seeing this error? In which log?

Regards,
    Brian
    Also, if you are using the plugin, make sure you have changed the POST size limit.

Regards,
    Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:24:03Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T15:17:45Z
    Also, if you are using the plugin, make sure you have changed the POST size limit.

Regards,
    Brian
    I don't know how to check that.
    I can tell you that by default the config of the web plugin of my application server is PostSizeLimit="-1" in the plugin-cfg.xml file.
    In the WAS administration interface I don't know how to change this parameter.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:36:21Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T15:13:32Z

Regards,
    Brian
    > ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) unlimited
    stack(kbytes) 10240
    coredump(blocks) unlimited
    nofiles(descriptors) 8192
    vmemory(kbytes) unlimited

This error appears in the WAS error log file :
    "org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler - Failed to parse multipart request
    org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:518)
    at org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.handleRequest(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:193)
    at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:442)
    at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processPopulate(RequestProcessor.java:816)
    at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:203)
    at com.inetpsa.fwk.struts.action.FWKTilesRequestProcessor.parentProcess(FWKTilesRequestProcessor.java:202)
    at com.inetpsa.fwk.struts.action.FWKRequestProcessorWrapper.process(FWKRequestProcessorWrapper.java:592)
    at com.inetpsa.fwk.struts.action.FWKTilesRequestProcessor.process(FWKTilesRequestProcessor.java:75)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:432)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:763)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1146)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1087)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:145)
    at com.inetpsa.bqs.utils.Encoding.doFilter(Encoding.java:36)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapper.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:130)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain._doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:87)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:837)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:680)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:588)
    at com.ibm.ws.wswebcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:525)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.CacheServletWrapper.handleRequest(CacheServletWrapper.java:90)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:751)
    at com.ibm.ws.wswebcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:1478)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.ready(WCChannelLink.java:126)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:458)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:387)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpICLReadCallback.complete(HttpICLReadCallback.java:102)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.requestComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:556)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attemptIO(WorkQueueManager.java:606)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.workerRun(WorkQueueManager.java:979)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worker.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1064)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1497)"
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:41:54Z  
    > ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) unlimited
    stack(kbytes) 10240
    coredump(blocks) unlimited
    nofiles(descriptors) 8192
    vmemory(kbytes) unlimited

This error appears in the WAS error log file :
    "org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler - Failed to parse multipart request
    org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parseRequest(FileUploadBase.java:518)
    at org.apache.struts.upload.CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.handleRequest(CommonsMultipartRequestHandler.java:193)
    at org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:442)
    at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processPopulate(RequestProcessor.java:816)
    at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:203)
    at com.inetpsa.fwk.struts.action.FWKTilesRequestProcessor.parentProcess(FWKTilesRequestProcessor.java:202)
    at com.inetpsa.fwk.struts.action.FWKRequestProcessorWrapper.process(FWKRequestProcessorWrapper.java:592)
    at com.inetpsa.fwk.struts.action.FWKTilesRequestProcessor.process(FWKTilesRequestProcessor.java:75)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1196)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:432)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:763)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1146)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1087)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:145)
    at com.inetpsa.bqs.utils.Encoding.doFilter(Encoding.java:36)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapper.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:190)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:130)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain._doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:87)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:837)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterManager.doFilter(WebAppFilterManager.java:680)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:588)
    at com.ibm.ws.wswebcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:525)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.CacheServletWrapper.handleRequest(CacheServletWrapper.java:90)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:751)
    at com.ibm.ws.wswebcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:1478)
    at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.ready(WCChannelLink.java:126)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:458)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:387)
    at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpICLReadCallback.complete(HttpICLReadCallback.java:102)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.requestComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:556)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attemptIO(WorkQueueManager.java:606)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.workerRun(WorkQueueManager.java:979)
    at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worker.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1064)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1497)"
    Hi, can you check the ConnectionIOTimeout in the plugin file?

Regards,
    Brian
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:43:48Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T15:41:54Z

Regards,
    Brian
    Also, in the httpd.conf file for the web server, make sure it is setup so it can stay open long enough for the file to be transferred.

WAS is only responding to the events happening in front of it.

Regards,
    Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:50:11Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T15:41:54Z

Regards,
    Brian
    Hi,

I've found the following line in the plugin-cfg.xml file for my server :
    <Server ConnectTimeout="0" ExtendedHandshake="false" MaxConnections="-1" Name="node01_bqs00Dev_as" ServerIOTimeout="0" WaitForContinue="false">

Is it the answer to your quetion ?
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T15:58:10Z  
    Hi,

I've found the following line in the plugin-cfg.xml file for my server :
    <Server ConnectTimeout="0" ExtendedHandshake="false" MaxConnections="-1" Name="node01_bqs00Dev_as" ServerIOTimeout="0" WaitForContinue="false">

Is it the answer to your quetion ?
    Hi,

Check the following:
    Servers > Server Types > WebSphere application servers > server_name > Web container settings > Web container > HTTP transport. What is the ConnectionIOTimeout value?

In the httpd.conf what is the value for Timeout ?

Regards,
    Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T16:11:57Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T15:58:10Z
    Hi,

Check the following:
    Servers > Server Types > WebSphere application servers > server_name > Web container settings > Web container > HTTP transport. What is the ConnectionIOTimeout value?

In the httpd.conf what is the value for Timeout ?

Regards,
    Brian
    In WAS 6.1.0.29 I didn't fine the same menu tree as you.
    I've seen something approaching in "Serveurs d'applications > bqs00Dev_as > Chaînes de transport du conteneur Web > WCInboundDefaultSecure" (sorry it's in French). :
    "Canal des communications entrantes HTTP (HTTP_4)

Utiliser des connexions persistantes (conserver actives) Activé
    Nombre maximal de demandes persistantes par connexion 100
    Délai de lecture 60 secondes
    Délai d'écriture 60 secondes
    Délai persistant 30 secondes

Canal des communications entrantes du conteneur Web (WCC_4) "

httpd.conf :
    #
    1. Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
    #
    Timeout 300
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T16:25:05Z  
    In WAS 6.1.0.29 I didn't fine the same menu tree as you.
    I've seen something approaching in "Serveurs d'applications > bqs00Dev_as > Chaînes de transport du conteneur Web > WCInboundDefaultSecure" (sorry it's in French). :
    "Canal des communications entrantes HTTP (HTTP_4)

Délai persistant 30 secondes

Canal des communications entrantes du conteneur Web (WCC_4) "

httpd.conf :
    #
    1. Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
    #
    Timeout 300
    Hi,

No problem, I can read French. Ok, so the question is how long does it take you to upload your 4GB file?

Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T16:58:28Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T16:25:05Z
    Hi,

No problem, I can read French. Ok, so the question is how long does it take you to upload your 4GB file?

Brian
    Considering my connection speed, it should take at least 10 minutes.
    But I've got the exception immediatly after pressing the submit button on the form page.
    It's not the case with a 500 MB file which takes several minutes to upload correctly.
    How to explain this behavior ?

Thanks.
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T17:09:33Z  
    Considering my connection speed, it should take at least 10 minutes.
    But I've got the exception immediatly after pressing the submit button on the form page.
    It's not the case with a 500 MB file which takes several minutes to upload correctly.
    How to explain this behavior ?

Thanks.
    Hi, you have to change a few things. I would change the web server timeout from 300 seconds (5 mins) to at least 600 seconds (10 mins). You also need to change the connection timeout in the transport for HTTP or HTTPS, whichever you are using to 10 mins, as well. We would need to do tracing on what is causing the issue. I will try this evening / tomorrow morning with a simple test.

Regards,
    Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T17:14:53Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T17:09:33Z
    Hi, you have to change a few things. I would change the web server timeout from 300 seconds (5 mins) to at least 600 seconds (10 mins). You also need to change the connection timeout in the transport for HTTP or HTTPS, whichever you are using to 10 mins, as well. We would need to do tracing on what is causing the issue. I will try this evening / tomorrow morning with a simple test.

Regards,
    Brian
    In addition, I've just successfully uploaded a 1.66GB file in about 5min50s.

Otherwise I will apply your advices.

Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-11T17:25:07Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T17:09:33Z

Regards,
    Brian
    I set Timeout value at 600 in the httpd.conf of the web server.
    For the WAS config I set this :

Canal des communications entrantes HTTP (HTTP_4)

Délai persistant 600 secondes

Is it what you expected ?
    FYI I've got the same result ...

Thanks.
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T20:59:14Z  
    I set Timeout value at 600 in the httpd.conf of the web server.
    For the WAS config I set this :

Canal des communications entrantes HTTP (HTTP_4)

Délai persistant 600 secondes

Is it what you expected ?
    FYI I've got the same result ...

Thanks.
    Hi,

I was able to recreate the problem under versions 6.1, 7, 8 and 8.5. It appears that the header is not being passed correctly. The content-disposition is null. Now I need to investigate why this is happening.

Regards,
    Brian
  • bpaskin
    bpaskin
    4047 Posts

‏2012-12-11T21:26:43Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T20:59:14Z
    Hi,

I was able to recreate the problem under versions 6.1, 7, 8 and 8.5. It appears that the header is not being passed correctly. The content-disposition is null. Now I need to investigate why this is happening.

Regards,
    Brian
    Hi, I believe I found the issue. Are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of WAS?

Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-12-12T07:41:40Z  
    • bpaskin
    • ‏2012-12-11T21:26:43Z
    Hi, I believe I found the issue. Are you using a 32 or 64 bit version of WAS?

Brian
    Hi Brian,

How can I check the 32 or 64 bit version of my WAS ?
    Thanks.
    Sam