Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-07-22T12:46:09Z by SystemAdmin
RaghavaPrakash
RaghavaPrakash
2 Posts

Pinned topic GPFS for Oracl RAC on Linux on Intel platform

‏2012-07-20T19:46:29Z |
While I see that GPFS has been certified by Oracle for Oracle 11G RAC on the Power platform, what about Linux on Intel platform? Are there any problems with Linux on Intel platform?
Updated on 2012-07-22T12:46:09Z at 2012-07-22T12:46:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • gcorneau
    gcorneau
    149 Posts

Re: GPFS for Oracl RAC on Linux on Intel platform

‏2012-07-20T22:16:24Z  
    GPFS itself doesn't have any issue with running on a supported x86 Linux platform, no.
    Oracle would have to answer if that's supported for RAC.

Glen Corneau
    IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills
  • dlmcnabb
    dlmcnabb
    1012 Posts

‏2012-07-20T22:43:35Z  
    • gcorneau
    • ‏2012-07-20T22:16:24Z
    GPFS itself doesn't have any issue with running on a supported x86 Linux platform, no.
    Oracle would have to answer if that's supported for RAC.

Glen Corneau
    IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills
    Oracle is the obstacle here. They do not want to run their database on GPFS on Intel hardware because they have their own OCF filesystem on that platform. So they do not certify GPFS on Intel. It is only certified by them for pSeries (AIX or pLinux).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2092 Posts

‏2012-07-21T01:00:23Z  
    • dlmcnabb
    • ‏2012-07-20T22:43:35Z
    Oracle is the obstacle here. They do not want to run their database on GPFS on Intel hardware because they have their own OCF filesystem on that platform. So they do not certify GPFS on Intel. It is only certified by them for pSeries (AIX or pLinux).
    OTOH, AFAIK, IBM will be happy to sell and service DB2 with Linux and GPFS ;-) We can sell you Intel or PowerPC machines to run it, disks, etc, etc ;-) ;-)
  • RaghavaPrakash
    RaghavaPrakash
    2 Posts

‏2012-07-21T09:13:48Z  
    • dlmcnabb
    • ‏2012-07-20T22:43:35Z
    So what happens if I install Oracle 11g RAC on Linux on Intel platform? Will Oracle refuse to support?
  • dlmcnabb
    dlmcnabb
    1012 Posts

‏2012-07-22T00:44:28Z  
    So what happens if I install Oracle 11g RAC on Linux on Intel platform? Will Oracle refuse to support?
    they will support it if you use OCF or raw disks under it. But if you use GPFS, you will probably not get any support from Oracle. You have to ask them.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2092 Posts

‏2012-07-22T12:46:09Z  
    • dlmcnabb
    • ‏2012-07-22T00:44:28Z
    they will support it if you use OCF or raw disks under it. But if you use GPFS, you will probably not get any support from Oracle. You have to ask them.
    Maybe yes, maybe no! I just googled "Oracle GPFS" and came up with this article that is still on their own website:

https://blogs.oracle.com/ois/entry/general_recommendation_oracle

General recommendation Oracle Database and IBM GPFS By dwojciec on Jun 24, 2009   We are receiving every month email from a partner, a customer or an Oracle consultant asking some recommendation regarding the installation of Oracle Database on IBM GPFS. We would like to share with you some comments regarding GPFS file system block size. - 512 Kb is the general recommendation - 256 KB is suggested 

if there is activity other than Oracle using the file system and many small files exist which are not in the database. - 1 MB is suggested 

for file systems 100 TB or larger. The large block size makes the allocation of space 

for the databases manageable and has no affect on performance when Oracle is using the Asynchronous I/O (AIO) and Direct I/O (DIO) features of AIX®   All these recommendations came from an Oracle Benchmark using GPFS. You can find all 

this GPFS requirement into 

this documentation : - See section 6 of the GPFS FAQ - GPFS use with Oracle. Thank a lot to Rick Piasecki who shared with us all 

this information. Don
    't hesitate to share with us your experience and feedback regarding IBM GPFS with Oracle Database. Other references : - Take the Guesswork Out of Database Layout and I/O Tuning with Automoatic Storage Management - Oracle and GPFS certification : Linux and AIX - Configuring IBM General Parallel File System (GPFS) with Oracle RAC on IBM pSeries with AIX 5L and Linux on POWER+

Mind you that was 2009...