Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-23T12:59:15Z by denisF
denisF
denisF
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Best way to create a new company from an existing one (model+data)?

‏2012-07-18T15:33:51Z |
Q:
what is the best way to create a new company from an existing one (possibly in two different PIM instance) including data and model?

The use case is to have a procedure to "refresh clean" the company used for UAT from the production company before starting a new UAT cycle

After reading the infocenter, the following procedure could be used :
  • GDS : global data synchronization
  • DCE : Data change export
  • classic export / import
  • Company "deploy" and/or "propagation" (What is the difference between the 2 ?) as described in infocenter in section "Administering/PIM system administrator/Company management"

What is the best one for this use case?

Thx
Updated on 2012-07-23T12:59:15Z at 2012-07-23T12:59:15Z by denisF
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Best way to create a new company from an existing one (model+data)?

‏2012-07-19T04:17:32Z  in response to denisF
    Hi,

1) The GDS is not for importing/exporting data.
    2) You must be sure that DCL is configured to capture all objects in your production environment. If so, you can use DCE report, but you have to write a code to manualy process a result of the report to create objects in the UAT environment.
    3) The best solution, but you have to export some data context manualy (colarea entries, for example)
    4) I have not understood also

If you have only one company in your instance I would recomend to create the UAT instance just restoring its DB from a backup of the production DB.
  • wpc_guy
    wpc_guy
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-21T12:51:24Z  in response to denisF
    Hi ,

Yes, DB Copy is the best option in your case as we did the same in our implementation. But since DB copy is at DB level, you need to be very careful and i would suggest to take IBM's help while doing so to avoid any issues.
    Thanks,
    wpc_guy
    • denisF
      denisF
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-23T12:59:15Z  in response to wpc_guy
      This seems to be very complex as there are many company in the source PIM instance and also many companies in the target PIm instance, and as far as i know, a company is not a DB "schema"
      So this operations seem very complex to "isolate" rows in the source database to be "imported" to the target database