Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-09T15:20:13Z by Ron_Smith
Ron_Smith
Ron_Smith
6 Posts

Pinned topic CPSM or SMSS

‏2012-07-18T15:18:59Z |
I have completed the install of CICS/TS 4.1 in all our CICS environments.
We have 20 PROD and 40 TEST CICS regions. All our regions are stand alone regions, no TOR, no FOR and no tied AOR's. There is no transaction routing or file function shipping, only some TD function shipping. The regions are spread over three LPARS, a PROD LPAR and a TEST LPAR and a combo PROD and TEST LPAR for pricey products.
We use TMON/CICS as the monitor and accounting product and have never had CPSM installed here as one region does not really affect another region and CSD groups are unique to each region. The resources in one region have nothing to do with the resources in another region.
In our situation, how would you recommend CICS EXPLORER be implemented? It certainly semms like SMSS would be the quickest to get up initially.

Are there functions of CICS EXPLORER that would not be availiable to us if we are not running under CPSM?
Updated on 2012-08-09T15:20:13Z at 2012-08-09T15:20:13Z by Ron_Smith
  • MatthewWebster
    MatthewWebster
    24 Posts

Re: CPSM or SMSS

‏2012-07-19T09:41:52Z  
    I went to a presentation at SHARE in 2008 (http://proceedings.share.org/client_files/SHARE_in_Orlando/S1066XX102231.pdf) where the speaker said that “If you have more than one Region you should be using CPSM”. While SMSS allows you to connect CICS Explorer and gives you the equivalent of both CEMT and CEDA capability you can only connect to one Region at a time, a restriction we have no plans to lift in the near future. It’s primarily aimed at application development and testing.

On the other hand if you only use the basic Single-System image (SSI) capability of CPSM you can create the logical groupings you describe and grant appropriate access to your users (I will leave best practice in this area to one of my colleagues). You may also take advantage of other features perhaps by following the roadmap I described in a SHARE presentation at SHARE in 2010 (https://share.confex.com/share/116/webprogram/Session8272.html).

Also if you have had a look at our recent “CICS TS V5.1 open beta” announcement (http://www.ibm.com/software/cics/openbeta/) you will find information about or move into cloud-style applications and platforms. To take advantage of these exciting developments you will need to be using CPSM.

Matthew
  • Ron_Smith
    Ron_Smith
    6 Posts

‏2012-07-31T22:03:19Z  
    I went to a presentation at SHARE in 2008 (http://proceedings.share.org/client_files/SHARE_in_Orlando/S1066XX102231.pdf) where the speaker said that “If you have more than one Region you should be using CPSM”. While SMSS allows you to connect CICS Explorer and gives you the equivalent of both CEMT and CEDA capability you can only connect to one Region at a time, a restriction we have no plans to lift in the near future. It’s primarily aimed at application development and testing.

On the other hand if you only use the basic Single-System image (SSI) capability of CPSM you can create the logical groupings you describe and grant appropriate access to your users (I will leave best practice in this area to one of my colleagues). You may also take advantage of other features perhaps by following the roadmap I described in a SHARE presentation at SHARE in 2010 (https://share.confex.com/share/116/webprogram/Session8272.html).

Also if you have had a look at our recent “CICS TS V5.1 open beta” announcement (http://www.ibm.com/software/cics/openbeta/) you will find information about or move into cloud-style applications and platforms. To take advantage of these exciting developments you will need to be using CPSM.

Matthew
    Thank you for the good information Matthew - important points.

I did get our systems test region set and a single region CICS explorer going to get the feel

any best practices?
  • MatthewWebster
    MatthewWebster
    24 Posts

‏2012-08-06T18:03:29Z  
    • Ron_Smith
    • ‏2012-07-31T22:03:19Z
    Thank you for the good information Matthew - important points.

I did get our systems test region set and a single region CICS explorer going to get the feel

any best practices?
    As a first pass we would advise separate CICSplexes for test and production. However, a CICSplex can span LPARs (with a CMAS on each). So you could combine all the test Regions on the 2 separate LPARs into a single CICSplex to simplify management (which is what it's all about). You could also do the same for the production Regions.

I hope that helps.

M
  • Ron_Smith
    Ron_Smith
    6 Posts

‏2012-08-06T21:03:47Z  
    As a first pass we would advise separate CICSplexes for test and production. However, a CICSplex can span LPARs (with a CMAS on each). So you could combine all the test Regions on the 2 separate LPARs into a single CICSplex to simplify management (which is what it's all about). You could also do the same for the production Regions.

I hope that helps.

M
    It does help Matthew - thank you
  • Dave_Key
    Dave_Key
    18 Posts

‏2012-08-07T11:04:29Z  
    • Ron_Smith
    • ‏2012-08-06T21:03:47Z
    It does help Matthew - thank you
    Hi Ron,

I'm not quite sure what level of detail you would like in terms of recommendations on how to use CICSPlex SM and what advantages it can give you. I've tried to add a few thoughts to add to what Matthew has already said, but please feel free to quiz me more.

Essentially, I have added a couple of recommendations on how to setup a CPSM environment and a few "useful" things that CPSM will provide without you really doing very much extra. Once you have the basic grounding then it is relatively easy to layer the additionl capabilities of CPSM on top of this base layer.

CICSPlex SM configuration

We would normally recommend splitting your regions into discrete CICSplexes for Production and Test, however, you have the choice of either completely separating them (by using dedicated CMASs) or you can use the same CMASs to manage both CICSplexes and then use Security to restrict access as appropriate. Under normal circumstances we would advise separate CMASs to ensure a complete separation between Test and Production and use the Explorer's ability to switch connections to give an Operator or System Programmer the ability to access both from the same panel.

If you are using multiple LPARs (and CPSM can stretch across sysplexes as well as LPARs) then we would recommend a dedicated "Maintenance Point" CMAS to "own" the CICSplex and have a CMAS on each LPAR which is connected to it, and to which the individual regions connect. The reason for this is that it provides robustness in the event of LPAR outages and it makes it easier to manage service and future migration.

It is also a good idea to ensure that the primary WUI Server (which is also your CMCI Server for the Explorer) is connected directly to the Maintenance Point CMAS for the CICSplex.
    Single System Image

Although you mention that you don't have the traditional TOR, AOR, FOR sub-divisions within your Test and Production regions, the System Grouping capability in CPSM means that you can "scope" regions in many ways, for example by grouping all of the Production Regions by their LPAR, or Test regions by their owner. Essentially this reduces the need for complex naming conventions and once "grouped" it is possible to perform System Management actions on the group as a whole. Regions can belong to multiple groups and groups can be nested within one another making it very easy to manage the role a region has in your environmnt simply by adding it to the appropriate group.

Similarly, because CPSM is able to see both the origin and destination of a Function Shipped TD command it is possible to "track" the path of not just local work, but also where it goes across connections. This means that Explorer features, like "Transacton Tracking", allow you to see the path of an application through your system(s) and identify problems quickly and easily.

What also may be useful is that if you have monitoring or statistics active much of the live "Operational" data that is returnd by CPSM contains not only the usual CEMT level of detail but also many of the Monitoring and Statistics records that you would otherwise have to process offline from SMF
    I hope this helps, but if you have any specific questions, or want any further advice or clarification please ask and I'll do my best to help.

Dave
  • Ron_Smith
    Ron_Smith
    6 Posts

‏2012-08-09T15:20:13Z  
    • Dave_Key
    • ‏2012-08-07T11:04:29Z
    Hi Ron,

I'm not quite sure what level of detail you would like in terms of recommendations on how to use CICSPlex SM and what advantages it can give you. I've tried to add a few thoughts to add to what Matthew has already said, but please feel free to quiz me more.

Essentially, I have added a couple of recommendations on how to setup a CPSM environment and a few "useful" things that CPSM will provide without you really doing very much extra. Once you have the basic grounding then it is relatively easy to layer the additionl capabilities of CPSM on top of this base layer.

CICSPlex SM configuration

We would normally recommend splitting your regions into discrete CICSplexes for Production and Test, however, you have the choice of either completely separating them (by using dedicated CMASs) or you can use the same CMASs to manage both CICSplexes and then use Security to restrict access as appropriate. Under normal circumstances we would advise separate CMASs to ensure a complete separation between Test and Production and use the Explorer's ability to switch connections to give an Operator or System Programmer the ability to access both from the same panel.

If you are using multiple LPARs (and CPSM can stretch across sysplexes as well as LPARs) then we would recommend a dedicated "Maintenance Point" CMAS to "own" the CICSplex and have a CMAS on each LPAR which is connected to it, and to which the individual regions connect. The reason for this is that it provides robustness in the event of LPAR outages and it makes it easier to manage service and future migration.

It is also a good idea to ensure that the primary WUI Server (which is also your CMCI Server for the Explorer) is connected directly to the Maintenance Point CMAS for the CICSplex.
    Single System Image

Although you mention that you don't have the traditional TOR, AOR, FOR sub-divisions within your Test and Production regions, the System Grouping capability in CPSM means that you can "scope" regions in many ways, for example by grouping all of the Production Regions by their LPAR, or Test regions by their owner. Essentially this reduces the need for complex naming conventions and once "grouped" it is possible to perform System Management actions on the group as a whole. Regions can belong to multiple groups and groups can be nested within one another making it very easy to manage the role a region has in your environmnt simply by adding it to the appropriate group.

Similarly, because CPSM is able to see both the origin and destination of a Function Shipped TD command it is possible to "track" the path of not just local work, but also where it goes across connections. This means that Explorer features, like "Transacton Tracking", allow you to see the path of an application through your system(s) and identify problems quickly and easily.

What also may be useful is that if you have monitoring or statistics active much of the live "Operational" data that is returnd by CPSM contains not only the usual CEMT level of detail but also many of the Monitoring and Statistics records that you would otherwise have to process offline from SMF
    I hope this helps, but if you have any specific questions, or want any further advice or clarification please ask and I'll do my best to help.

Dave
    Thank you Dave for helping me to see the configuration picture.
    I am sure I will have more questions later.