Topic
  • 24 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-04-30T12:52:41Z by Dragos.Cojocari
gbt_l3
gbt_l3
66 Posts

Pinned topic RPE Publish Script

‏2012-07-18T14:30:06Z |
DOORS 9.4 has poor support for RPE without an RPE license. We want to use templates that we developed with RPE studio with a license but allow DOORS users to generate documents without one.

Has anyone developed a DXL script that can include the output path, stylesheet and macro for an RPE dsx file. Then you pass this modified dsx file to the launcher using a system call from the dxl script?
Updated on 2013-03-04T22:42:56Z at 2013-03-04T22:42:56Z by Richard_Watson
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

Re: RPE Publish Script

‏2012-07-18T14:39:56Z  
    Hey Greg,

RPE Launcher requires a license regardless of where you invoke it or how you created the docspec so what you are asking is simply not possible. But what you could do is raise an enhancement with the DOORS team to provide this ability in the reporting feature of DOORS 9.4, feature which uses RRDG behind the scenes (see RPE vs RRDG).

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-07-18T17:11:08Z  
    Hey Greg,

RPE Launcher requires a license regardless of where you invoke it or how you created the docspec so what you are asking is simply not possible. But what you could do is raise an enhancement with the DOORS team to provide this ability in the reporting feature of DOORS 9.4, feature which uses RRDG behind the scenes (see RPE vs RRDG).

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    I have raised this to our IBM rep. I was wondering if anyone talks to users about usability before these 'features' are released. We were waiting for 3-4 months for a 'Publish' menu that never came. So now we are left scrambling for work arounds. We shouldn't have to know the difference between RPE vs RRDG.
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    97 Posts

‏2012-07-18T17:43:12Z  
    Hey Greg,

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    I remember hearing at the IBM Rational Innovate 2012 conference that DOORS 9.4 supported publishing into a custom RPE template without the need for a license. Is this not the case? If so, then what is the big change with DOORS 9.4 and publishing?
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-07-18T19:26:37Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2012-07-18T17:43:12Z
    I remember hearing at the IBM Rational Innovate 2012 conference that DOORS 9.4 supported publishing into a custom RPE template without the need for a license. Is this not the case? If so, then what is the big change with DOORS 9.4 and publishing?
    You can navigate to a .dta file from File/Export/Document Generation. You can't navigate to a .dsx file which is how we prototyped using RPE from DOORS 9.3 (with RPE license) while we awaited DOORS 9.4 to be released.With a .dsx you can specify style sheet, output file and macro to run post process.

If you attempt to use a dsx file the Document Generation, in our case, goes into an endless loop.
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2012-07-19T08:13:51Z  
    Hey Greg,

the Publish menu in DOORS is contributed by RPE so it requires an RPE license. The "licenseless" document generation is exposed by DOORS through the File\Export\Document generation. But that feature does not have all the capabilities provided by the RPE one.

>>> We shouldn't have to know the difference between RPE vs RRDG.
    You don't but it helps when explaining the difference between the RPE Publish Menu in DOORS, which is part of RPE and thus requires an RPE license, and the Document Generation capability exposed by DOORS which is part of DOORS and requires no additional license.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-07-19T13:43:04Z  
    Hey Greg,

the Publish menu in DOORS is contributed by RPE so it requires an RPE license. The "licenseless" document generation is exposed by DOORS through the File\Export\Document generation. But that feature does not have all the capabilities provided by the RPE one.

>>> We shouldn't have to know the difference between RPE vs RRDG.
    You don't but it helps when explaining the difference between the RPE Publish Menu in DOORS, which is part of RPE and thus requires an RPE license, and the Document Generation capability exposed by DOORS which is part of DOORS and requires no additional license.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Drago,
    Thanks for the response. And yes knowing the why is better than not knowing at all. Our problem, and it's a big one, is why doesn't the RRDG supported 'feature' that is exposed in the DOORS Export/Document Generation menu fully support a document specification (i.e. dsx file). Users can't specify style sheets or macros.

Now if you told me I could write a script using RRDG and DXL and gave me documentation and an example to work from then you'd be helping me.

Regards,
    Greg
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2012-07-19T14:11:07Z  
    Hey Greg,

>>> Now if you told me I could write a script using RRDG and DXL and gave me documentation and an example to work from then you'd be helping me.
    This is not possible since there is a DOORS component that acts like a middle man between the user and RRDG and this component would have to understand/support specifying docspecs. I'm fw'ing this to my DOORS colleagues to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-07-19T19:13:25Z  
    Hey Greg,

>>> Now if you told me I could write a script using RRDG and DXL and gave me documentation and an example to work from then you'd be helping me.
    This is not possible since there is a DOORS component that acts like a middle man between the user and RRDG and this component would have to understand/support specifying docspecs. I'm fw'ing this to my DOORS colleagues to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
    Dragos,
    Any help is appreciated! Hey if DOORS can specify enough information to deal with document templates it should be able to go the extra mile and deal with document specs ;-)

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2012-07-24T13:18:30Z  
    Hey Greg,

there is no workaround I can provide to this problem. I know you have engaged the IBM support and the solution will come through that channel.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2012-07-24T13:32:12Z  
    Just to make sure I'm not setting incorrect expectations I'm not aware of what the solution will be and when it will be provided but when it is it's going to be through support.

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-08-06T15:50:12Z  
    I have a couple additional questions that may, depending on the answers, help with our documrt generation issues with DOORS.

• Can customers by floating licenses for RPE Launcher only at a reduced price?
    • Is there a way to automate RPE Launcher from DOORS DXL? So that users can specify Word template, RPE template and pre/post process DXL.
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    97 Posts

‏2012-08-06T16:58:48Z  
    • gbt_l3
    • ‏2012-08-06T15:50:12Z
    I have a couple additional questions that may, depending on the answers, help with our documrt generation issues with DOORS.

• Can customers by floating licenses for RPE Launcher only at a reduced price?
    • Is there a way to automate RPE Launcher from DOORS DXL? So that users can specify Word template, RPE template and pre/post process DXL.
    >Can customers by floating licenses for RPE Launcher only at a reduced price?

Not that I'm aware.

>Is there a way to automate RPE Launcher from DOORS DXL? So that users can specify Word template, RPE template and pre/post process DXL.

You can write your own. If you know a little DXL it's not that complicated. Just open a .dsx file in an editor (even notepad) and build a .dsx file from user input. Then call the RPE process from the command line. That part is documented in RPE's help file. I've done this for certain tasks (though not exactly as you specify) and it's very feasible.
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    97 Posts

‏2012-08-06T17:00:05Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2012-08-06T16:58:48Z
    >Can customers by floating licenses for RPE Launcher only at a reduced price?

Not that I'm aware.

>Is there a way to automate RPE Launcher from DOORS DXL? So that users can specify Word template, RPE template and pre/post process DXL.

You can write your own. If you know a little DXL it's not that complicated. Just open a .dsx file in an editor (even notepad) and build a .dsx file from user input. Then call the RPE process from the command line. That part is documented in RPE's help file. I've done this for certain tasks (though not exactly as you specify) and it's very feasible.
    Oh yeah. The machine running this DXL needs to have RPE installed, otherwise there is no command line to use.
  • gbt_l3
    gbt_l3
    66 Posts

‏2012-08-06T17:04:17Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2012-08-06T17:00:05Z
    Oh yeah. The machine running this DXL needs to have RPE installed, otherwise there is no command line to use.
    Do you have a lot of users publishing documents at your facility? 10s, 100s, etc? How many RPE licenses do you use?
  • BillTidy
    BillTidy
    69 Posts

‏2013-03-04T16:08:48Z  
    • gbt_l3
    • ‏2012-08-06T17:04:17Z
    Do you have a lot of users publishing documents at your facility? 10s, 100s, etc? How many RPE licenses do you use?
    Jeez, I wish I had run into this thread before today....

So we're in cost-reduction mode and seems we were sold a pup by IBM on this one: "Switch to DOORS 9.4 and a fixed license model for your template developers and everyone else can run reports for free." Yes, nice try but no prize.
    I'd like to know of a company running DOORS who doesn't want to strangle someone at Telelogic/IBM for the serious lack of a decent DOORS exporter. WEXP was an intermediate answer from UK Prof Services and worked OK. RPE is better IMHO. As for the 'standard' export options under "File - Export"... well, there's a good reason they're free... it's because they're useless - you should have saved your development budget and not created those options at all.
    Is there really no possibility to specify a dsx (or even better, to specify those RPE parameters at runtime) with the RROD... sorry, RRDG???? Clearly there's a difference between designing report templates with the Studio and simply running a report. What can you do to help us out here IBM? Is there something in the pipeline or a client patch already there to be installed that gives us this functionality for RRDG?
  • BillTidy
    BillTidy
    69 Posts

‏2013-03-04T16:17:46Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2012-08-06T17:00:05Z
    Kevin,
    It's not as simple as writing the DXL to create a dsx and then calling RPE. The problem is that to run with the dsx RPE has to grab a license and in the new license models this is a userid-based list, i.e. only userids contained in the "RPE users list" are able to run a report - this in fact makes everything more expensive, since this is like the old 'node-locked' licensing (licenses are reserved for your name, if you use it or not).
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    97 Posts

‏2013-03-04T19:18:21Z  
    • BillTidy
    • ‏2013-03-04T16:17:46Z
    Kevin,
    It's not as simple as writing the DXL to create a dsx and then calling RPE. The problem is that to run with the dsx RPE has to grab a license and in the new license models this is a userid-based list, i.e. only userids contained in the "RPE users list" are able to run a report - this in fact makes everything more expensive, since this is like the old 'node-locked' licensing (licenses are reserved for your name, if you use it or not).
    You mean, something like SeRPEnt?

It's open sourced and when it works it does what you specify. The problem is I can't get it to always work, and was hoping for some assistance in doing so.
  • Richard_Watson
    Richard_Watson
    1 Post

‏2013-03-04T22:42:56Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2013-03-04T19:18:21Z
    You mean, something like SeRPEnt?

It's open sourced and when it works it does what you specify. The problem is I can't get it to always work, and was hoping for some assistance in doing so.
    Hello All,

We are aware of the limitations of parameters and are actively working on remedial actions. The next release of DOORS expects to cover many of these holes in terms of passing parameters in to RPE when reporting from a single module. This release is expected in H2 2013.

Sorry for your frustration

Richard Watson
  • LettySoCal
    LettySoCal
    3 Posts

Re: RPE Publish Script - Any Updates?

‏2013-10-07T20:07:12Z  
    Hey Greg,

Regards,
    Dragos

RPE Actual

Dragos,

Can you give me an update on using RPE templates from DOORS 9.4? 

After reading this thread, this is pretty much what my company has gone through as well. We bought one license to create templates. I spent plenty of man hours developing the templates, including post processing macros, XML input, DSX files, etc.. The buyer of RPE was told that in DOORS 9.4, a license would not be required to use the templates. So our entire division migrated to DOORS 9.4, which included getting concurrence from our customers so they would upgrade as well. So when it came time to try out the templates I created, the feature on DOORS 9.4 was missing. After several telecons to IBM where our assigned product support person kept insisting we should see the Publish menu on the menu bar of DOORS 9.4, I had to allow my desktop to be shared to prove that the feature was missing. Someone at IBM had to recreate my environment(which was simply not to own an RPE license), and the technical support person had to go ask SW development about it. And they confirmed that the Publish option on DOORS 9.4 is not available unless the user has an RPE license. The only way to access the templates is through the export function in DOORS. But now how do I specify all my options that I had set up assuming that my user could edit XML and have access to macros and other options?? Is this not possible at all?

If you can please give me an update, that would be great. I also wanted to post this out there for any other users who seem to be in the same situation. I wish I knew the exact interface for using the templates without a license from within doors and it does not seem I could have known that until I got to the point I am now.

Thanks, Letty

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2013-10-08T16:57:03Z  

Dragos,

Can you give me an update on using RPE templates from DOORS 9.4? 

After reading this thread, this is pretty much what my company has gone through as well. We bought one license to create templates. I spent plenty of man hours developing the templates, including post processing macros, XML input, DSX files, etc.. The buyer of RPE was told that in DOORS 9.4, a license would not be required to use the templates. So our entire division migrated to DOORS 9.4, which included getting concurrence from our customers so they would upgrade as well. So when it came time to try out the templates I created, the feature on DOORS 9.4 was missing. After several telecons to IBM where our assigned product support person kept insisting we should see the Publish menu on the menu bar of DOORS 9.4, I had to allow my desktop to be shared to prove that the feature was missing. Someone at IBM had to recreate my environment(which was simply not to own an RPE license), and the technical support person had to go ask SW development about it. And they confirmed that the Publish option on DOORS 9.4 is not available unless the user has an RPE license. The only way to access the templates is through the export function in DOORS. But now how do I specify all my options that I had set up assuming that my user could edit XML and have access to macros and other options?? Is this not possible at all?

If you can please give me an update, that would be great. I also wanted to post this out there for any other users who seem to be in the same situation. I wish I knew the exact interface for using the templates without a license from within doors and it does not seem I could have known that until I got to the point I am now.

Thanks, Letty

Hey Letty,

there are 3 entities involved: RPE, RRDG and DOORS. It is important to clarify how RPE and RRDG are related.

1. RPE - the standalone document generation solution. Exposes a set of UIs to end users ( Launcher, Studio, DOORS Plugin etc). The Publish menu that you mention is part of RPE and will only be present in your DOORS Client UI if you install RPE and at install time you specify "install addins".  That menu option will trigger RPE Launcher though its command line API which means an RPE license is required.

2. RRDG - the core of RPE Embedded by other Rational tools to provide docgen capabilities. It has absolutely no UI elements. Does not require an RPE license as it is an internal component meant to be used by other Rational products exclusively.

3. DocGen capabilities built-in DOORS/CLM/Rhapsody/FocalPoint - this is a functionality of the point product ( in this case DOORS) which is built on RRDG. Each Rational tool that embeds RRDG for docgen exposes a different set of capabilities and UIs ( this is valid for RPE too - RPE is just another consumer of RRDG). The docgen UIs and capabilities exposed by each product are tailored to the specific product needs but they underlying tehcnology is the same. These UIs and capabilities and are not on par with the RPE UIs because in many cases they don't need to be ( RPE is a generic tool). But in some other cases useful features missing in the original implementation are added later on ( see Richard's reply at the bottom of this page).

So at this time I do not believe you can do all that you require using DOORS DocGen ( File/Export) but some of them are planned to be addressed in an upcoming DOORS release.

Hope this helps at least in clarifying the situation.

Regards,

Dragos

• LettySoCal
    LettySoCal
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-10T17:09:41Z  
    Hello All,

We are aware of the limitations of parameters and are actively working on remedial actions. The next release of DOORS expects to cover many of these holes in terms of passing parameters in to RPE when reporting from a single module. This release is expected in H2 2013.

Richard Watson

Richard,

If you can provide an update on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• LettySoCal
    LettySoCal
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-10T17:32:54Z  

Hey Letty,

there are 3 entities involved: RPE, RRDG and DOORS. It is important to clarify how RPE and RRDG are related.

1. RPE - the standalone document generation solution. Exposes a set of UIs to end users ( Launcher, Studio, DOORS Plugin etc). The Publish menu that you mention is part of RPE and will only be present in your DOORS Client UI if you install RPE and at install time you specify "install addins".  That menu option will trigger RPE Launcher though its command line API which means an RPE license is required.

2. RRDG - the core of RPE Embedded by other Rational tools to provide docgen capabilities. It has absolutely no UI elements. Does not require an RPE license as it is an internal component meant to be used by other Rational products exclusively.

3. DocGen capabilities built-in DOORS/CLM/Rhapsody/FocalPoint - this is a functionality of the point product ( in this case DOORS) which is built on RRDG. Each Rational tool that embeds RRDG for docgen exposes a different set of capabilities and UIs ( this is valid for RPE too - RPE is just another consumer of RRDG). The docgen UIs and capabilities exposed by each product are tailored to the specific product needs but they underlying tehcnology is the same. These UIs and capabilities and are not on par with the RPE UIs because in many cases they don't need to be ( RPE is a generic tool). But in some other cases useful features missing in the original implementation are added later on ( see Richard's reply at the bottom of this page).

So at this time I do not believe you can do all that you require using DOORS DocGen ( File/Export) but some of them are planned to be addressed in an upcoming DOORS release.

Hope this helps at least in clarifying the situation.

Regards,

Dragos

Dragos,

Thank you for your explanation. I don't want to say that it seems deceitful what our IBM representative has publicized to the buyer of RPE for our company because I see the same description in the DOORS 9.4 release notes. Also, I am not the buyer, I am just the lowly programmer who needs to get this to work and need any help in accomplishing this. The features that are key to me are 1) specifying a style sheet and 2) being able to execute a macro after the MS Word document is generated. I did not want my user to worry about these 2 items. I also have several templates that retrieve data from XML files. It screws things up on my end. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• gbjedi
    gbjedi
    2 Posts

‏2015-04-24T15:06:01Z  
    Hello All,

Richard Watson

RIchard,

My customer is using DOORS 9.5.  Following on from your previous comment, does 9.5 now have the ability to export using a .dsx file, or to pass a style sheet as a parameter to RRDG?

Thanks, Jeremy

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1622 Posts

‏2015-04-30T12:52:41Z  
    • gbjedi
    • ‏2015-04-24T15:06:01Z

RIchard,

My customer is using DOORS 9.5.  Following on from your previous comment, does 9.5 now have the ability to export using a .dsx file, or to pass a style sheet as a parameter to RRDG?

Thanks, Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

as far as I know DOORS does not support DSX files. Early versions of the DOORS 9.5 did not support providing stylesheets but DOORS 9.6 and onward do support stylesheets in the reporting UI.

Regards,

Dragos