Topic
  • 14 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-02T14:41:04Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
300 Posts

Pinned topic [Solved] Developer edition install broken on Indigo?

‏2012-07-16T01:36:59Z |
I've recently had to rebuild my eclipse configuration. I'm using eclipse-jee-indigo-SR2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64 as the base eclipse install. This is the same eclipse that I have successfully used previously to do a Marketplace install of Worklight Developer Edition.

However, whenever I try to add Worklight to Eclipse Indigo now it seems to corrupt the eclipse install. The problem seems to be around the Rich Page Editor, and as far as I can make out, eclipse is pulling in some Juno classes when it satisfies the prerequisites for the Developer Edition install. Symptoms are: lots of error when I open an HTML with the rich page editor, and problems installing ADT after installing Worklight.

If I start with Juno, everything seems to just work.

Is anyone else seeing a (new) problem installing Developer Edition from the Marketplace in Indigo?

What is the status of Developer Edition on Juno? I saw in another thread that it is not yet supported, but right now it is the only thing I can get to work.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

Re: Developer edition install broken on Indigo?

‏2012-07-17T14:09:46Z  
    Hi,

I'm attempting to reproduce now.

Thanks,
    Nell
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-17T15:36:23Z  
    Hi,

I'm attempting to reproduce now.

Thanks,
    Nell
    We have reproduced the issue and a defect will be opened internally to track it -- we'll let you know when we have more info on what the issue is/how it can be resolved.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-17T15:52:41Z  
    We have reproduced the issue and a defect will be opened internally to track it -- we'll let you know when we have more info on what the issue is/how it can be resolved.
    It might be related to this issue: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=379473 which is getting reported by folks who are installing the WebSphere Development tools (which share features with Worklight Developer Edition)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-17T16:07:53Z  
    It might be related to this issue: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=379473 which is getting reported by folks who are installing the WebSphere Development tools (which share features with Worklight Developer Edition)
    Thanks, I'll add that info to the defect.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-18T22:37:26Z  
    I was able to install successfully by downloading worklight_studio_wee_5.0.0.2.zip from FixCentral and using Help -> Install New Software... in a clean install of Eclipse Indigo.

So either something was fixed in 5.0.0.2, or the problem is specific to the Marketplace install.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-18T23:37:45Z  
    We're still investigating, but we have determined the issue is specific to the marketplace install. It is also specific to MacOS. Until this is resolved, you can work around this by using an alternative install method. You can go to:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mobile/worklight

and click on "Download and Install". You will need to register/complete a short profile, and then you will see a page with two tabs. The first tab "Install" uses a marketplace-based install, but the second tab has "Alternative Install Option". You should be able to use either the P2 update site or the zip to install.

Thanks,
    Nell
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-19T03:17:22Z  
    We're still investigating, but we have determined the issue is specific to the marketplace install. It is also specific to MacOS. Until this is resolved, you can work around this by using an alternative install method. You can go to:

and click on "Download and Install". You will need to register/complete a short profile, and then you will see a page with two tabs. The first tab "Install" uses a marketplace-based install, but the second tab has "Alternative Install Option". You should be able to use either the P2 update site or the zip to install.

Thanks,
    Nell
    >> It is also specific to MacOS.

Not true... I'm running on WinXP and the same problems exist. I will try the alternative install and see if it cleans this up.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-19T03:24:22Z  

Thanks,
    Nell
    I seem to have spoken too soon. The install I did today using a fresh copy of eclipse indigo and the downloaded repository from FixCentral (5.0.0.2) worked for a while, and then started throwing exceptions. (can't locate the class org.mortbay.Jetty, and then the rich page editor started throwing an exception that it couldn't connect to localhost:0)

The symptoms are a bit different, but it is still broken, and the problems still seem to be around the rich page editor. The funny thing is it was working for a while, and I can't think of anything I did between working and broken that would have altered the configuration.
    I see the same problem with the marketplace install on Windows 7 that I see with the marketplace install on MacOS. Could this be a 64 bit issue? All the systems I have tried have been 64 bit.

On Windows this hasn't been an issue for me because I primarily use an IM based install which hasn't been giving me any problems.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-19T03:55:12Z  

Not true... I'm running on WinXP and the same problems exist. I will try the alternative install and see if it cleans this up.
    It appears that the problem can be fixed on WinXP by following the advice of downloading the Studio plugin and doing the alternate install.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-19T12:35:27Z  

Thank you for reporting -- we have not seen it on the Windows 7 systems we tested, but we did not test XP specifically.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-19T17:00:18Z  
    I seem to have spoken too soon. The install I did today using a fresh copy of eclipse indigo and the downloaded repository from FixCentral (5.0.0.2) worked for a while, and then started throwing exceptions. (can't locate the class org.mortbay.Jetty, and then the rich page editor started throwing an exception that it couldn't connect to localhost:0)

The symptoms are a bit different, but it is still broken, and the problems still seem to be around the rich page editor. The funny thing is it was working for a while, and I can't think of anything I did between working and broken that would have altered the configuration.
    I see the same problem with the marketplace install on Windows 7 that I see with the marketplace install on MacOS. Could this be a 64 bit issue? All the systems I have tried have been 64 bit.

On Windows this hasn't been an issue for me because I primarily use an IM based install which hasn't been giving me any problems.
    Can you check your list of available update sites and see if http://marketplace.eclipse.org/repo/ is one of the available software sites (in preferences > Install/Update > Available Software Sites)?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-07-24T18:50:24Z  
    I was able to successfully install with a clean install of Eclipse and the non-Marketplace version of Workplace.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-08-02T14:38:41Z  
    I was able to successfully install with a clean install of Eclipse and the non-Marketplace version of Workplace.
    I've been on vacation ... Since returning the install issues seem to have gone away. I have been able to to install from the marketplace with no issues. Looking at the bug I referenced earlier (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=379473), it looks like there was a problem where adding features from the marketplace would incorrectly update some Indigo classes to Juno leaving you in a mess. This has been fixed on the eclipse side. (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=385334)

In any case, as far as I can tell, this is resolved.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts

‏2012-08-02T14:41:04Z  
    I've been on vacation ... Since returning the install issues seem to have gone away. I have been able to to install from the marketplace with no issues. Looking at the bug I referenced earlier (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=379473), it looks like there was a problem where adding features from the marketplace would incorrectly update some Indigo classes to Juno leaving you in a mess. This has been fixed on the eclipse side. (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=385334)

In any case, as far as I can tell, this is resolved.
    That's correct -- the issue has been resolved on the marketplace side. Thanks, Nell