Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-07-13T11:49:32Z by efra9999
efra9999
efra9999
11 Posts

Pinned topic Plans bound to DBRM's in DB2 Version 10

‏2012-07-12T15:01:05Z |
I'm confused on what the official ruling is for using plans bound directly to DBRM's in DB2 version 10 versus being bound to a PKLIST. My understanding was that Plans bound to DBRMs were deprecated in Version 9 and not allowed in version 10. We are currently on version 9 and working on a project to convert to PKlists so that when we go to DB2 version 10, we are complient. However, I learned today that the CA-Intertest product uses a plan that is bound to a DBRM members and is actively running with DB2 version 10.

Can someone please tell me if plans bound to DBRM's works in DB2 version 10? I'm assuming they do if CA-Intertest product works. I know the direction to go in would be to use PKlist's which will still be our goal, but we may have more time if plans bound to DBRM's still works with version 10.

Clarification would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Updated on 2012-07-13T11:49:32Z at 2012-07-13T11:49:32Z by efra9999
  • ToddBurchDB2
    ToddBurchDB2
    74 Posts

Re: Plans bound to DBRM's in DB2 Version 10

‏2012-07-12T20:09:24Z  
    Hi.

If you have DBRMs bound into PLANS and you execute those on DB2 10, DB2 10 will automagically create a package for you. You can't create new ones, but you can execute old ones.

Convenient? Certainly.

Do you pay a price at execution time for DB2 to do this for you? Yes.

Will DB2's naming conventions and placement and other aspects of this auto-package-create implementation meet your shop's standards and naming conventions and auditing requirements? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line is... it works, but you are prudent to identify and prepare for DB2 10's operational requirements.

If you need to migrate to DB2 10, and the conversion effort to packages is large, but reasons to migrate are more important, you can certainly do your housekeeping after migration.

Todd
  • efra9999
    efra9999
    11 Posts

Re: Plans bound to DBRM's in DB2 Version 10

‏2012-07-13T11:49:32Z  
    Hi.

If you have DBRMs bound into PLANS and you execute those on DB2 10, DB2 10 will automagically create a package for you. You can't create new ones, but you can execute old ones.

Convenient? Certainly.

Do you pay a price at execution time for DB2 to do this for you? Yes.

Will DB2's naming conventions and placement and other aspects of this auto-package-create implementation meet your shop's standards and naming conventions and auditing requirements? Maybe, maybe not.

Bottom line is... it works, but you are prudent to identify and prepare for DB2 10's operational requirements.

If you need to migrate to DB2 10, and the conversion effort to packages is large, but reasons to migrate are more important, you can certainly do your housekeeping after migration.

Todd
    Todd,

Thank you for the clarification. That certainly helps me reinforce our intent on converting to packages prior to migrating to version 10. That was also the first time I heard about the automatic conversion which is great to know about.

Ed