Topic
  • 24 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-10-20T19:06:24Z by Alok@123
Romy01
Romy01
86 Posts

Pinned topic Null Pointer Exception On Button Click (BPM v8)

‏2012-07-11T21:58:18Z |
Hi,

There is a coach built on bpm v8 consisting of some buttons and coach view. The human service containing this coach reside in say Toolkit A. This human service is referred from another service(TestService) from ProcessApp B. When we run the TestService , the coach loads just fine. On click of any button on the page , the next message would be

"Error : java.lang.NullPointerException"

The weird thing is if we try to "debug" the coach service from processapp B (Toolkit A has been added as dependency in processapp b) and reach the coach and click any button, the process just flows fine and reaches the respective end state. However, if we try to "run" the coach service from processapp A , the coach loads up , but button click would create nullpointer exception .

Any idea on what might be wrong ?
The logs would say :-

7/11/12 17:46:25:844 EDT 00000822 wle E CWLLG0594E: An exception occurred while initializing the runnable thread. Error: com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.WorkflowProcessItemException: java.lang.NullPointerException
com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.WorkflowProcessItemException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.ExecutionJob.doJob(ExecutionJob.java:421)
at com.lombardisoftware.server.ejb.workflow.EJBWorkflowManagerBean.doResumeWorkflowEngine(EJBWorkflowManagerBean.java:1045)
at com.lombardisoftware.server.ejb.workflow.EJBWorkflowManagerBean.resumeProcess(EJBWorkflowManagerBean.java:382)
at com.lombardisoftware.server.ejb.workflow.EJSRemoteStatefulEJBWorkflowManager_82478d70.resumeProcess(Unknown Source)
at com.lombardisoftware.server.ejb.workflow._EJBWorkflowManagerInterface_Stub.resumeProcess(_EJBWorkflowManagerInterface_Stub.java:518)
at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.EJBWorkflowManagerDelegateDefault.resumeProcess(EJBWorkflowManagerDelegateDefault.java:142)
at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.EJBWorkflowManagerDelegateWebSphere$6.run(EJBWorkflowManagerDelegateWebSphere.java:84)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:254)

Thanks,
Ramesh
Updated on 2013-02-28T14:37:14Z at 2013-02-28T14:37:14Z by JuanCarlosLopera
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

Re: Null Pointer Exception On Button Click (BPM v8)

‏2012-07-12T04:17:58Z  
    Hi Ramesh,
    I tried to recreate but it seemed to work fine for me.

In toolkit A I created Human Service "HS1" which contained a button

In Process App B I took a dependency on toolkit A and created Human Service HS2 which had a nested service in it pointing to HS1.

I ran HS2 and pressed the button and all was good.

Neil
  • AnthonyBpm
    AnthonyBpm
    390 Posts

‏2012-07-12T12:37:03Z  
    Posting a couple of screenshots for your service diagrams showing the flow might help?
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2012-07-12T15:05:02Z  
    Posting a couple of screenshots for your service diagrams showing the flow might help?
    Have attached few screenshots of the problem in hand. Clearly there is something different underneath between running and debugging the service . Just can't figure out what.
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2012-07-12T15:06:20Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2012-07-12T15:05:02Z
    Have attached few screenshots of the problem in hand. Clearly there is something different underneath between running and debugging the service . Just can't figure out what.
    Sorry missed the attachment
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2012-07-12T15:08:12Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2012-07-12T15:06:20Z
    Sorry missed the attachment
    previous attempts failed. Trying to attach again
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2012-07-12T15:36:29Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2012-07-12T15:08:12Z
    previous attempts failed. Trying to attach again
    attachment
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

‏2012-07-12T15:42:42Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2012-07-12T15:36:29Z
    attachment
    I have a horrible suspicion that attachments may be broken this morning. I have seen other posts from other users attempting to add attachments with no luck :-(
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2012-07-12T17:55:44Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2012-07-12T15:42:42Z
    I have a horrible suspicion that attachments may be broken this morning. I have seen other posts from other users attempting to add attachments with no luck :-(
    trying again.
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2012-07-12T19:18:25Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2012-07-12T17:55:44Z
    trying again.
  • huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2012-08-27T23:28:26Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2012-07-12T19:18:25Z
    We have the same issue, and can't figure it out. I just tried the suggestion from this post:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14876570&#14876570
    but it didn't work.

When we add a product, it loops around and adds it to a list. Then when it's back on the coach the datatable adds an additional row. But any button click after that causes the CoachNGError.jsp page to load with "Error: Nullpointer".

There are no printouts in System.Out (except the null pointer itself when it happens) and IE 8 and 9 doesn't report any javascript errors. So tracking this down is getting to be very painful.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
  • Maneesh_ee
    Maneesh_ee
    21 Posts

‏2012-10-22T01:34:26Z  
    This thread looks pretty old but just wondering if anyone was able to get through this error?
    I am also facing the same error and trying to find a workaround.
  • edling
    edling
    286 Posts

‏2012-10-22T10:58:48Z  
    This thread looks pretty old but just wondering if anyone was able to get through this error?
    I am also facing the same error and trying to find a workaround.
    I also just ran into this behaviour. I can debug and run a coachview, but clicking the same button when using it in a coach (with other CVs) fail with null pointer exception. Actually the second button click on the coach (any button, any CV) fails.
  • edling
    edling
    286 Posts

‏2012-10-22T13:57:05Z  
    • edling
    • ‏2012-10-22T10:58:48Z
    I also just ran into this behaviour. I can debug and run a coachview, but clicking the same button when using it in a coach (with other CVs) fail with null pointer exception. Actually the second button click on the coach (any button, any CV) fails.
    More:
    Multiple button clicks always work when debugging.
    If I run my coach in the portal: If I go back to the inbox via "WORK", I am sometimes allowed more clicks.

I also get some other errors in addition to the null pointer exception. There is an UCA in the coach service, but I am never clicking the button that calls it.

[10/22/12 15:53:54:875 CEST] 00000043 wle           E   CWLLG1338E: An error occurred 

while running a service. ExecutionContext: ExecutionStack(ExecutionJob(worker(com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGWorker@1774ae7d), processItemId = ProcessItem.cd9ac8bf-d256-4abc-8823-39bc70dc7cde, processTiming = N, saveExecutionContextBehaviour = EXECUTION_CONTEXT_SAVE)), SymbolTable(SymbolTable(...)), sharedData = 

null [10/22/12 15:53:55:051 CEST] 0000dd46 wle           E   CWLLG0326E: A deliverException has occurred. com.lombardisoftware.bpd.runtime.engine.BPDCaughtException: at com.lombardisoftware.bpd.component.flowcomponent.activity.worker.BPDActivityWorker.processCompletedTaskOutputs(BPDActivityWorker.java:1208)

[10/22/12 15:53:55:092 CEST] 0000dd46 wle_ucaexcept E   CWLLG0181E: An exception occurred during execution of task 7,366.  Error: [<0message:><124flowObjectID:/25.26a6c0bf-6a12-4955-b0b6-ce1abba6350a
    //bpdid:1fbb7511afdf63da:2bd22ff9:139f84d4b71:-7feb/Step (Define Need for Materials)>] com.lombardisoftware.core.TeamWorksDecoratingException: at com.lombardisoftware.bpd.runtime.engine.BPDEngine.executeTreeNode(BPDEngine.java:367)

[10/22/12 15:53:55:129 CEST] 0000dd46 wle_ucaexcept E   CWLLG0203E: Undercover Agent job failed. Task 7366 job details are: class=com.lombardisoftware.bpd.runtime.engine.quartz.DbNotificationBpdTask parameters=[2621;5440]  Error: [<0message:><124flowObjectID:/25.26a6c0bf-6a12-4955-b0b6-ce1abba6350a
    //bpdid:1fbb7511afdf63da:2bd22ff9:139f84d4b71:-7feb/Step (Define Need for Materials)>]

• edling
    edling
    286 Posts

‏2012-11-09T12:13:23Z  
    • edling
    • ‏2012-10-22T13:57:05Z
    More:
    Multiple button clicks always work when debugging.
    If I run my coach in the portal: If I go back to the inbox via "WORK", I am sometimes allowed more clicks.

I also get some other errors in addition to the null pointer exception. There is an UCA in the coach service, but I am never clicking the button that calls it.

<pre class="jive-pre"> [10/22/12 15:53:54:875 CEST] 00000043 wle E CWLLG1338E: An error occurred while running a service. ExecutionContext: ExecutionStack(ExecutionJob(worker(com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGWorker@1774ae7d), processItemId = ProcessItem.cd9ac8bf-d256-4abc-8823-39bc70dc7cde, processTiming = N, saveExecutionContextBehaviour = EXECUTION_CONTEXT_SAVE)), SymbolTable(SymbolTable(...)), sharedData = null [10/22/12 15:53:55:051 CEST] 0000dd46 wle E CWLLG0326E: A deliverException has occurred. com.lombardisoftware.bpd.runtime.engine.BPDCaughtException: at com.lombardisoftware.bpd.component.flowcomponent.activity.worker.BPDActivityWorker.processCompletedTaskOutputs(BPDActivityWorker.java:1208) </pre>

<pre class="jive-pre"> [10/22/12 15:53:55:092 CEST] 0000dd46 wle_ucaexcept E CWLLG0181E: An exception occurred during execution of task 7,366. Error: [<0message:><124flowObjectID:/25.26a6c0bf-6a12-4955-b0b6-ce1abba6350a //bpdid:1fbb7511afdf63da:2bd22ff9:139f84d4b71:-7feb/Step (Define Need for Materials)>] com.lombardisoftware.core.TeamWorksDecoratingException: at com.lombardisoftware.bpd.runtime.engine.BPDEngine.executeTreeNode(BPDEngine.java:367) </pre>

<pre class="jive-pre"> [10/22/12 15:53:55:129 CEST] 0000dd46 wle_ucaexcept E CWLLG0203E: Undercover Agent job failed. Task 7366 job details are: class=com.lombardisoftware.bpd.runtime.engine.quartz.DbNotificationBpdTask parameters=[2621;5440] Error: [<0message:><124flowObjectID:/25.26a6c0bf-6a12-4955-b0b6-ce1abba6350a //bpdid:1fbb7511afdf63da:2bd22ff9:139f84d4b71:-7feb/Step (Define Need for Materials)>] </pre>
    OK, the relevant error is this:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.JSONObjectToTWObject(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:125) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.JSONToTWObject(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:199) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.JSONArrayToTWObject(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:244) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.updateCoachData(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:69) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.updateCoachData(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:35) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGWorker.doJobProcessWebData(CoachNGWorker.java:171) at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.worker.WebWorker.doJob(WebWorker.java:73) at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.ExecutionJob.doJob(ExecutionJob.java:409) ... 58 more

It seems to be a problem with repeating a complex object containing another complex object (in a table or a section)

The JSON sent from server to client is not correct - different from the BPM XML representation. Debugging does not use the same POST ajaxCoach call as when running and thus does not trigger the problem.

This BPM XML:

<object type=
    "User[]"> <arrayElement size=
    "1"> <item type=
    "User"> <property name=
    "organization" type=
    "Organization"> <property name=
    "departmentName" type=
    "String">Foo</property> <property name=
    "departmentManager" type=
    "String">Foo</property> <metadata> <property name=
    "dirty" type=
    "Boolean">true</property> <property name=
    "shared" type=
    "Boolean">false</property> <property name=
    "key" /> <property name=
    "version" /> </metadata> </property> <property name=
    "firstName" type=
    "lastName" type=
    "telephoneNumber" type=
    "String"></property> <property name=
    "email" type=
    "userId" type=
    "office" type=
    "String"></property> <metadata> <property name=
    "dirty" type=
    "shared" type=
    "key" /> <property name=
    "version" /> </metadata> </item> </arrayElement> <metadata> <property name=
    "dirty" type=
    "shared" type=
    "key" /> <property name=
    "version" /> </metadata> </object>

Is incorrectly flattened into this JSON:

{ 
    "delta": 
    { 
    "tw.local.users": 
    { 
    "items": [ 
    { 
    "organization.departmentManager": 
    "Foo", 
    "lastName": 
    "Foo", 
    "userId": 
    "Foo", 
    "organization.departmentName": 
    "Foo", 
    "firstName": 
    "Foo", 
    "office": 
    "", 
    "email": 
    "Foo", 
    "telephoneNumber": 
    "" 
    } ], 
    "listAllSelectedIndices": [] 
    } 
    }, 
    "event": 
    "taskDataChanged" 
    }

The table column for users[].organization.departmentName is not populated when running. Is does when debugging, since I have added a binding to the change event handler:

var binding = this.context.binding.get(
    "value"); 

for (var i = 0; i < binding.length ; i++) 
    { binding.get(i).bind(
    "organization", this.change, 

this); 
    }

• JuanCarlosLopera
    JuanCarlosLopera
    48 Posts

‏2012-11-09T16:10:44Z  
    • edling
    • ‏2012-11-09T12:13:23Z
    OK, the relevant error is this:
    <pre class="jive-pre"> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.JSONObjectToTWObject(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:125) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.JSONToTWObject(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:199) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.JSONArrayToTWObject(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:244) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.updateCoachData(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:69) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGDataJSONHelper.updateCoachData(CoachNGDataJSONHelper.java:35) at com.lombardisoftware.component.coachng.worker.CoachNGWorker.doJobProcessWebData(CoachNGWorker.java:171) at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.worker.WebWorker.doJob(WebWorker.java:73) at com.lombardisoftware.component.common.workflow.ExecutionJob.doJob(ExecutionJob.java:409) ... 58 more </pre>

It seems to be a problem with repeating a complex object containing another complex object (in a table or a section)

The JSON sent from server to client is not correct - different from the BPM XML representation. Debugging does not use the same POST ajaxCoach call as when running and thus does not trigger the problem.

This BPM XML:

<pre class="jive-pre"> <object type= "User[]"> <arrayElement size= "1"> <item type= "User"> <property name= "organization" type= "Organization"> <property name= "departmentName" type= "String">Foo</property> <property name= "departmentManager" type= "String">Foo</property> <metadata> <property name= "dirty" type= "Boolean">true</property> <property name= "shared" type= "Boolean">false</property> <property name= "key" /> <property name= "version" /> </metadata> </property> <property name= "firstName" type= "String">Foo</property> <property name= "lastName" type= "String">Foo</property> <property name= "telephoneNumber" type= "String"></property> <property name= "email" type= "String">Foo</property> <property name= "userId" type= "String">Foo</property> <property name= "office" type= "String"></property> <metadata> <property name= "dirty" type= "Boolean">true</property> <property name= "shared" type= "Boolean">false</property> <property name= "key" /> <property name= "version" /> </metadata> </item> </arrayElement> <metadata> <property name= "dirty" type= "Boolean">true</property> <property name= "shared" type= "Boolean">false</property> <property name= "key" /> <property name= "version" /> </metadata> </object> </pre>

Is incorrectly flattened into this JSON:

<pre class="jive-pre"> { "delta": { "tw.local.users": { "items": [ { "organization.departmentManager": "Foo", "lastName": "Foo", "userId": "Foo", "organization.departmentName": "Foo", "firstName": "Foo", "office": "", "email": "Foo", "telephoneNumber": "" } ], "listAllSelectedIndices": [] } }, "event": "taskDataChanged" } </pre>

The table column for users[].organization.departmentName is not populated when running. Is does when debugging, since I have added a binding to the change event handler:
    <pre class="jive-pre"> var binding = this.context.binding.get( "value"); for (var i = 0; i < binding.length ; i++) { binding.get(i).bind( "organization", this.change, this); } </pre>
    Hi Edling,

You´re correct.

i came across this issue some weeks ago and was so busy that i cant share it with the community.

the problem occurs as you say, the response JSON is not well generated for complex objects nested on iterated lists. it happens just using a NameValuePair as for Dates or any other complex object.

the complex objects are received with the '.' notation you told but expected to be received as JavaScript Object Literal.

my analysis on the issue was:

When a list object were not initialized and the iteration object contains complex objects the first request works fine but when that request fetch data for the iterated list it renders ok but the second request travels the malformed JSON stream stored at the this.local var is send as the coach Data for the XHR post, and the nullpointexception happens.

for our team the following workarounds came at light.

1. not using complex types nested on iterated object for disply only purposes

2. when using tables for dynamic edition (add, remove...) if the list start with zero size. we do initialize the list [0] index with all the nested complex types initialized. this works as it seems to force the JSON stream to be well formatted for sub sequent requests. (if need more detail can contact me).

3. im thinking on making a pre request Json parser to fix the dot '.' notation object literal. but my project doesn't give much time to try this solution so i just postpone it. (with extra help i sure could came with something jejejej).

for me this issue its involved with JSON Parser in the rest ajax service response as the delta generated ins not well formatted and the sub sequent request can interpret it.

hope my english were clear. if anyone need more detail fell free to contact me

regards,

Juan Carlos Lopera Marquez

For me
  • edling
    edling
    286 Posts

‏2012-11-09T17:27:22Z  
    Excellent leads! I will check them on Monday.

We will probably file a PMR. Wonder if this is already fixed in 8.0.1? The release notes mention "Improved support for binding UI components to complex repeating data":
    http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS212-394
  • SergeShikov
    SergeShikov
    17 Posts

‏2012-11-13T08:51:36Z  
    • edling
    • ‏2012-11-09T17:27:22Z
    Excellent leads! I will check them on Monday.

We will probably file a PMR. Wonder if this is already fixed in 8.0.1? The release notes mention "Improved support for binding UI components to complex repeating data":
    http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS212-394
    Hi,

We have created PMR already for this issue.

PMR 91973 756 000.

Regards

Serge
  • huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2012-11-20T13:10:16Z  
    I have tested in my 8.0.1 environment and this bug seems to have gone away. Can anyone verify that my testing is valid?

Thanks!

Jonathan Huang
  • SergeShikov
    SergeShikov
    17 Posts

‏2012-11-21T09:06:57Z  
    • huangjd
    • ‏2012-11-20T13:10:16Z
    I have tested in my 8.0.1 environment and this bug seems to have gone away. Can anyone verify that my testing is valid?

Thanks!

Jonathan Huang
    Hi,

I can confirm it. In our tests 8.0.1 is ok. Both known issues with dates and nested objects in lists have gone.

Regards

Serge
  • Romy01
    Romy01
    86 Posts

‏2013-02-01T18:48:20Z  
    Hi,

I can confirm it. In our tests 8.0.1 is ok. Both known issues with dates and nested objects in lists have gone.

Regards

Serge
    We have migrated upgraded out environment from 8.0 to 8.0.1 . Still there are coaches that were developed on 8.0 , exhibit the same issue when run on 8.0.1 . Can any body confirm they are not seeing the same issue ?

Thanks,
    Ramesh
  • huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2013-02-01T19:09:51Z  
    • Romy01
    • ‏2013-02-01T18:48:20Z
    We have migrated upgraded out environment from 8.0 to 8.0.1 . Still there are coaches that were developed on 8.0 , exhibit the same issue when run on 8.0.1 . Can any body confirm they are not seeing the same issue ?

Thanks,
    Ramesh
    There is another bug that has to deal with Drop Down Lists in a Table that we experienced that throws the same null pointer. This might not be your problem but just a FYI.

The setup:
    Essentially we had a list of complex objects that we were toggling between (and refreshing their data on the coach each toggle). One of the members of the main complex object was a list of complex objects we bound to a table that we were allowing the ADD and DELETE features on, with drop down lists as selectable values.

If you added a row to the table and updated the current main complex object, then tried toggle to the other one, it would throw that null pointer.

I did some testing and found that:
    1) In a simple example of toggling between complex objects and using tables and DDLs, it would sometimes work with no null pointer.
    2) At some point my complex object became "too" complex and the null pointer would reappear.

It is definitely a bug in the system, but haven't had time to really get to the bottom of it.

Other then that, I have not seen the original bug resurface in any of our code.

Jonathan Huang | Centric Consulting
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-02-28T01:06:27Z  
    • huangjd
    • ‏2013-02-01T19:09:51Z
    There is another bug that has to deal with Drop Down Lists in a Table that we experienced that throws the same null pointer. This might not be your problem but just a FYI.

The setup:
    Essentially we had a list of complex objects that we were toggling between (and refreshing their data on the coach each toggle). One of the members of the main complex object was a list of complex objects we bound to a table that we were allowing the ADD and DELETE features on, with drop down lists as selectable values.

If you added a row to the table and updated the current main complex object, then tried toggle to the other one, it would throw that null pointer.

I did some testing and found that:
    1) In a simple example of toggling between complex objects and using tables and DDLs, it would sometimes work with no null pointer.
    2) At some point my complex object became "too" complex and the null pointer would reappear.

It is definitely a bug in the system, but haven't had time to really get to the bottom of it.

Other then that, I have not seen the original bug resurface in any of our code.

Jonathan Huang | Centric Consulting
    I have hit this same issue I guess as advised in the last post on this thread.... in V8.0.1

Is there any work around...?

Cheers,
    Govinda
  • JuanCarlosLopera
    JuanCarlosLopera
    48 Posts

‏2013-02-28T14:37:14Z  
    I have hit this same issue I guess as advised in the last post on this thread.... in V8.0.1

Is there any work around...?

Cheers,
    Govinda
    Hi govinda-attal

there are some workarounds to bypass this issue, could you please specify more about your scenario so i could tell you about one of my workarounds.
    regards

Juan
  • Alok@123
    Alok@123
    9 Posts

‏2015-10-20T19:06:24Z  

Hello All,

I am facing similar issue in IBM 8.5.0.1 now let me explain you the BO structure that we have. There's a main complex BO say ABC within this there are number of complex BO's available which are not basically list except one for which i am having problem. The varibale within that List BO are just primitive types. The main BO is binded with a particular Coach View and within this Coach View i have number of Coach View which are binded with other complex BO within ABC. And also the list BO is binded to some other Coach View which has table. On clicking a partivular button it has fetch some data and update within the table. This functionality works fine in debug mode but not when i run the service.

Any inputs will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks