• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-16T23:14:25Z by SystemAdmin
GA0V_Dave_Roderick
GA0V_Dave_Roderick
2 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to Add WASCE 3.0 Runtime Environment/Server in Eclipse Juno

‏2012-07-11T20:50:13Z |
Hi there,

I am unable to add the WASCE 3.0 runtime environment in Eclipse Juno (Build 20120614-1722). After selecting the JRE (IBM Java60) and the WASCE install directory, I get a dialog with a title bar of "Server Error". The only thing in the dialog window is the following text: org.eclipse.pde.internal.core.target.provisional.ITargetPlatformService

In researching this issue at the Eclipse site, I found someone else having the same problem and the diagnosis is that it is due to an internal change in Eclipse. The WASCE product is using an internal interface that has moved.

Here's the way to reproduce the problem (by Hugo Sarbia). You get to the same place/error adding a runtime via the server preferences settings.

1. Launch Eclipse Juno
2. Open the "Servers" tab
3. Define a new server from the new server wizard (no server already available)
4. Select IBM -> IBM WASCE v3.0 Server
5. Choose a JRE and select the Application Server directory
6. Click on "Finish" button to add the server
7. Server Error (ITargetPlatformService)

Here's the response giving the information about what's causing the problem by Paul Webster:

Websphere CE is using an internal interface in their wizard. You need to open
a bug with them, as they need to fix it.

This interface was moved to org.eclipse.pde.core.target.ITargetPlatformService
in 3.8/Juno(4.2)

PW

I have downloaded and installed the latest WASCE 3.0 adapter from http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/websphere/wasce/updates/ (version Version: 3.0.0.v20120618-130145). I also have the latest versions of Eclipse and WASCE 3.0 all of which I downloaded in the last couple of days.

I'm running this under Windows 7 64-bit.

As I am new to both WASCE and Eclipse, I am pretty much just assuming the above diagnosis is correct but I can't really prove it.

Can anyone confirm that this is the problem and, if so, suggest any way to work around this?

I loaded all of the above because I was wanting to work through the RedBook "Experience Java EE! Using WebSphere Application Server Community Edition 2.1". I've already run into several issues because of differences between 2.1 and 3.0 but this is the only one so far that I haven't been able to figure out how to get around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
Updated on 2012-10-16T23:14:25Z at 2012-10-16T23:14:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • Shawn_Jiang
    Shawn_Jiang
    154 Posts

Re: Unable to Add WASCE 3.0 Runtime Environment/Server in Eclipse Juno

‏2012-07-12T01:55:33Z  
    We've realized this issue and are working on it. Will publish a technote along with a WEP update site refresh once we completed it.

Currently, I would suggest you to switch to Eclipse indigo before fix is published.
  • GA0V_Dave_Roderick
    GA0V_Dave_Roderick
    2 Posts

‏2012-07-12T03:32:16Z  
    We've realized this issue and are working on it. Will publish a technote along with a WEP update site refresh once we completed it.

Currently, I would suggest you to switch to Eclipse indigo before fix is published.
    Thanks very much for the response! I'll try your suggestion as well.

Any idea of how long it will be before the fix comes out? I don't need to know specifically, I'm just wondering if it's short term like a few days, or longer term like a couple of weeks or a couple of months?

Dave
  • Shawn_Jiang
    Shawn_Jiang
    154 Posts

‏2012-07-12T04:31:17Z  
    Thanks very much for the response! I'll try your suggestion as well.

Any idea of how long it will be before the fix comes out? I don't need to know specifically, I'm just wondering if it's short term like a few days, or longer term like a couple of weeks or a couple of months?

Dave
    I can tell for this moment : )

we'll update this thread once the fix is out.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2233 Posts

‏2012-10-16T23:14:25Z  
    Just ran into this (I'm also using Juno) and see it that using Eclipse Indigo is the workaround. It's been 3-4 months so I'm hoping a fix for WASCE 3.x so that we can continue to use of Juno will be out soon!