• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-23T07:40:02Z by DeepakBirole
abyalex
abyalex
5 Posts

Pinned topic Moving from 1G to 10G Network

‏2012-07-11T07:09:10Z |
Hi,

I currently have 4 SEA with 4 physical interfaces configured in etherchannel. Virtual adapter used to create these SEA are configured to support 4 VLANs each. Now our network team has implemented 10G network and would like us to move all production partitions to 10G ethernet(but only 2 PCI cards for each VIOS). We have to do it without downtime if possible.
Is there any way I can merge my existing SEA without downtime? Can I create new SEA for 10G and configure all VLAN ids on the virtual adapter associated with it?
If I create new SEA with 10G etherchannel and define all VLANs on virtual adapter associated with it, will it cause network failures(STP loops, broadcast storm etc.)?

Please suggest!! Thanks in advance!!!!

Regards,
aby
  • DeepakBirole
    DeepakBirole
    2 Posts

Re: Moving from 1G to 10G Network

‏2014-03-31T08:59:11Z  

Hi Aby,

I am also in the same situation where existing 4 1Gbps Ethernet LACP real adapter are part of SEA and we want to replace it with to 2 10Gbps LACP adapter without any downtime. 

How did you do in your environment. Any reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Deepak

• DeepakBirole
    DeepakBirole
    2 Posts

Re: Moving from 1G to 10G Network

‏2014-05-23T07:40:02Z  

Hi Aby,

I am also in the same situation where existing 4 1Gbps Ethernet LACP real adapter are part of SEA and we want to replace it with to 2 10Gbps LACP adapter without any downtime. 

How did you do in your environment. Any reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Deepak

Hi All,

I have done the upgrade of my SEA from 1Gbps to 10Gbps without any downtime.

Assumption: All the network switch side configuration is done (LACP, Trunk and allowed VLANs)

Below are the steps:

SEA Adapter ent8
    Real Adapter (Etherchannel - LACP) ent5
    Etherchannel Members (1Gbps Adapters) ent0, ent1, ent2, ent3
    New 10Gbps Adapter ent11, ent12

VIOS2 (SEA-Backup)  
    entstat -d ent8 | egrep -i status Make sure that this SEA is in BACKUP state
    lsdev -Cc adapter|egrep ent8 This will show that SEA is in Available state
    rmdev -l ent8 Put SEA in defined state
    chdev -l ent5 -a adapter_names=ent11,ent12 Replace the existing Physical Adapter with new 10Gbps adapters (ent11 and ent12)
    cfgmgr To bring SEA in Available state
    lsdev -Cc adapter|egrep ent8 SEA will come in Available state
    entstat -d ent8|egrep -e Link -e Stat It will show SEA (ent8) is running with two 10Gbps adapters and SEA is in BACKUP (Active=false)
    lsattr -El ent8 | egrep ha_mode Make sure that ha_mode is auto

VIOS1 (SEA-Primary)  
    chdev -l ent8 -a ha_mode=standby This will failover the SEA to VIOS2 and make it Active=true (on VIOS2)
    lsdev -Cc adapter|egrep ent8 This will show that SEA is in Available state
    rmdev -l ent8 Put SEA in defined state
    chdev -l ent5 -a adapter_names=ent11,ent12 Replace the existing Physical Adapter with new 10Gbps adapters (ent11 and ent12)
    cfgmgr To bring SEA in Available state
    lsdev -Cc adapter|egrep ent8 SEA will come in Available state
    entstat -d ent8|egrep -e Link -e Stat It will show SEA (ent8) is running with two 10Gbps adapters and SEA is in BACKUP (Active=false)
    chdev -l ent8 -a ha_mode=auto All network traffic will flow from VIOS1 now

Hope this will help.

Deepak Birole