Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-07-18T16:47:50Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
120 Posts

Pinned topic preprpnode error (different one, on Windows 2k8 R2)

‏2012-07-10T22:29:43Z |
I am attempting to get TSA/MP working in a Windows 2k8 R2 environment. Here is where I am stuck:

The preprpnode command fails due to the ctrmc (Resource Monitoring and Control daemon) not being started.
"0513-036 The request could not be passed to the ctrmc subsystem.
Start the subsystem and try your command again.
preprpnode: 2602-343 Enabling RMC remote connections failed with return code 1."

Attempts to start the daemon (either via "startsrc -s ctrmc" or "rmcctrl -s") end with the following messages being logged in the system log:

“Jul 10 16:37:51 node1 RMCdaemon1703: (Recorded using libct_ffdc.a cv 2):::Error ID: 824....j08zD/C0R/8sGL8....................
:::Reference ID: :::Template ID: 0:::Details File: :::Location: RSCT,rmcd.c,1.80,230 :::RMCD_INFO_0_ST Th
e daemon is started.
Jul 10 16:37:51 node1 RMCdaemon1703: (Recorded using libct_ffdc.a cv 2):::Error ID: 822....j08zD/C0R/8sGL8....................
:::Reference ID: :::Template ID: 0:::Details File: :::Location: RSCT,rmcd_env.c,1.39,133 :::RMCD_2610_103_ER
Unexpected system call error. System call error number 2 System call name mkdir”

As far as I could figure out from errno.h, error number 2 corresponds to “No such file or directory”, so the daemon is either trying to create a subdirectory in a path that does not exist, or there is a directory to which the daemon has no rights. The question is, which directory is it.

All help appreciated.
Updated on 2012-07-18T16:47:50Z at 2012-07-18T16:47:50Z by SystemAdmin
  • nukite8d
    nukite8d
    98 Posts

Re: preprpnode error (different one, on Windows 2k8 R2)

‏2012-07-11T07:28:53Z  
    Hi Luke,
    we had a similiar problem after cloning a "cleaned" Linux system.
    We can't get the deamons started.

For us it help to reconfigure the system by executing "recfg".
    If you have nothing configured, it wouldn't do any harm.

Regards,
    Manfred
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-11T14:23:06Z  
    • nukite8d
    • ‏2012-07-11T07:28:53Z
    Hi Luke,
    we had a similiar problem after cloning a "cleaned" Linux system.
    We can't get the deamons started.

For us it help to reconfigure the system by executing "recfg".
    If you have nothing configured, it wouldn't do any harm.

Regards,
    Manfred
    Thanks Manfred - I do not see a script or executable 'recfg' in my installation, so it may be a SAMP Linux-only thing. What does it do?
  • nukite8d
    nukite8d
    98 Posts

‏2012-07-11T15:24:14Z  
    Thanks Manfred - I do not see a script or executable 'recfg' in my installation, so it may be a SAMP Linux-only thing. What does it do?
    Hi,
    it looks like, I was to fast with submitting.
    The Command is recfg*ct*
    /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct
    This is a normal rsct-Command and should be shipped by the rsct installation.

It deletes and resets all definition within rsct.
    With this the custom directories are deleted, but recreates missing default-directories.
    For more info, you may look into the documentation.

Lately we call it before every preprpnode to ensure a clean system.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-11T19:27:13Z  
    • nukite8d
    • ‏2012-07-11T15:24:14Z
    Hi,
    it looks like, I was to fast with submitting.
    The Command is recfg*ct*
    /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct
    This is a normal rsct-Command and should be shipped by the rsct installation.

It deletes and resets all definition within rsct.
    With this the custom directories are deleted, but recreates missing default-directories.
    For more info, you may look into the documentation.

Lately we call it before every preprpnode to ensure a clean system.
    Ah yes, I did find that script, but I was not sure this was what you meant - I should have looked at what the script does (or read the manual...).

Here is what I got:

$ /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct
    mkdir: /var/ct/e801810158ffea73/cfg: Permission denied

I see that /var/ct/e801810158ffea73 belongs to an odd (not my admin usercode) user for some reason. This my feeling, that this is a rights isssue. I'll try changing the ownership of it.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-12T06:25:52Z  
    Ah yes, I did find that script, but I was not sure this was what you meant - I should have looked at what the script does (or read the manual...).

Here is what I got:

$ /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct
    mkdir: /var/ct/e801810158ffea73/cfg: Permission denied

I see that /var/ct/e801810158ffea73 belongs to an odd (not my admin usercode) user for some reason. This my feeling, that this is a rights isssue. I'll try changing the ownership of it.
    Hello,

I think your permission problem results from a wrong userid used for the installation.
    For Windows non-domain joined systems you must use the build-in local Administrator account.
    If you used a different userid with Administrator rights it will not work.

On Linux, Solaris and Windows you can use RSCT recfgct to reset one cluster node.

RSCT's recfgct - Cleans up cluster information
    http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21295662

BTW: Just for the record here, please do only use RSCT recfgct on AIX with the RSCT Technical Reference instructions in mind, because it will delete the complete /var/ct sub tree.

AIX 6.1/7.1 RSCT V3R2: Technical Reference
    https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clresctr/vxrx/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.cluster.rsct.v3r2.rsct600.doc%2Fbl501a_recfgct.htm

Regards
    Andreas Schauberer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-12T08:38:39Z  
    In Addition, TSA can only be used with the local Administrator account on Windows. The error message from recfgct looks like you are logged in as a different user.

Regards,
    Rene
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-12T11:08:20Z  
    In Addition, TSA can only be used with the local Administrator account on Windows. The error message from recfgct looks like you are logged in as a different user.

Regards,
    Rene
    Yes, it was a rights/permissions issue. Late yesterday I figured out where the invalid user/userid was coming from.

As I wrote above, I tried to chown the /var/ct/e801810158ffea73 directory to the correct, local admin account. However, I would get the same "permission denied" when trying to execute recfgct. It turned out, that every time I executed it, it would modify the permissions to the directory! It took me a while, but I did find that the incorrect credentials were in the var/ct/cfg/ctadmins.cfg file.
    I have modified the file with the correct uid and name of the local admin account, and recfgct ran to completion:
    $ /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct -s
    0513-071 The ctcas Subsystem has been added.
    0513-071 The ctrmc Subsystem has been added.
    0513-059 The ctrmc Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is 2799.

I have not verified yet that it is working correctly. I'll update the thread when I do.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-12T14:23:09Z  
    Yes, it was a rights/permissions issue. Late yesterday I figured out where the invalid user/userid was coming from.

As I wrote above, I tried to chown the /var/ct/e801810158ffea73 directory to the correct, local admin account. However, I would get the same "permission denied" when trying to execute recfgct. It turned out, that every time I executed it, it would modify the permissions to the directory! It took me a while, but I did find that the incorrect credentials were in the var/ct/cfg/ctadmins.cfg file.
    I have modified the file with the correct uid and name of the local admin account, and recfgct ran to completion:
    $ /usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct -s
    0513-071 The ctcas Subsystem has been added.
    0513-071 The ctrmc Subsystem has been added.
    0513-059 The ctrmc Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is 2799.

I have not verified yet that it is working correctly. I'll update the thread when I do.
    This looks promising:
    $ lssrc -a
    Subsystem Group PID Status
    ctrmc rsct 2799 active
    ctcas rsct inoperative
    IBM.ERRM rsct_rm inoperative
    IBM.AuditRM rsct_rm inoperative
    IBM.SensorRM rsct_rm inoperative

I will try to complete the 'preprpnode' step now...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-13T17:03:53Z  
    This looks promising:
    $ lssrc -a
    Subsystem Group PID Status
    ctrmc rsct 2799 active
    ctcas rsct inoperative
    IBM.ERRM rsct_rm inoperative
    IBM.AuditRM rsct_rm inoperative
    IBM.SensorRM rsct_rm inoperative

I will try to complete the 'preprpnode' step now...
    I have been able to complete the following:
    • preprpnode
    • mkrpdomain
    • startrpdomain

Nodes are seeing the domain and each other, so I consider this particular question answered. Thanks all for input! This may be helpful to anyone who is deploying SAMP on a domain-joined Windows servers (which is not supposed to work...)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-13T17:04:38Z  
    Solved by modifying the ctadmins.cfg file.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-16T17:01:16Z  
    LukeNumrych,

as seen from your last posts you are running TSA on a Windows Domain-Joined System. Please be aware that TSA is currently not supported with this setup and manually fixing this does not mean that TSA will behave correctly in all recovery scenarios.
    But there is already an existing requirement against TSA in the requirement tracking system for Windows 2008 Domain joined support:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=17935
    If you have a need for Windows 2008 Domain Joined support in TSA for Multiplatforms I suggest you review this requirement and add a vote and comment for it. This will raise the importance, enable you to be notified of the progress and delivery date and allows the TSA development team to keep track of your needs.

Also raising this requirement will increase the chance that the support will already be included in the next fixpack in 2012.

Regards,
    René
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-17T16:13:43Z  
    LukeNumrych,

as seen from your last posts you are running TSA on a Windows Domain-Joined System. Please be aware that TSA is currently not supported with this setup and manually fixing this does not mean that TSA will behave correctly in all recovery scenarios.
    But there is already an existing requirement against TSA in the requirement tracking system for Windows 2008 Domain joined support:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=17935
    If you have a need for Windows 2008 Domain Joined support in TSA for Multiplatforms I suggest you review this requirement and add a vote and comment for it. This will raise the importance, enable you to be notified of the progress and delivery date and allows the TSA development team to keep track of your needs.

Also raising this requirement will increase the chance that the support will already be included in the next fixpack in 2012.

Regards,
    René
    Thanks Rene - I am aware of that. Thank you for sharing the requirement tracking system link, I will definitely add my vote to it - once it starts working for me...

I have run into another issue while trying to define an aggregate resource with two nodes... It seems that (due to credential problems again) the constituent resources can only be defined on one node at a time.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    120 Posts

‏2012-07-18T16:47:50Z  
    I recommend waiting for the fixpack.
    If you are interested in a beta version for testing Windows-Domain Joined, drop me a note (rblath@de.ibm.com).

Regards,
    René