IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-06T11:19:50Z by SystemAdmin
DavidReimers
DavidReimers
5 Posts

Pinned topic V7000 SMTP email error

‏2012-07-05T02:19:36Z |
Hi,

A customer has a V7000 SAN (6.3 firmware) which is unable to email successfully. I am unsure whether this has actually worked successfully previously, but I believe it was.
When I test email to a known good SMTP relay (Exchange 2007 SP3, configured correctly) I receive the following error:

CMMVC6280E Sendmail error EX_TEMPFAIL. The sendmail command could not create a connection to a remote system.

I know for certain that the SMTP relay is working successfully; the V7000's management address is whitelisted, and a telnet session from another whitelisted host to the same destination email addresses works OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dave.
Updated on 2013-04-06T11:19:50Z at 2013-04-06T11:19:50Z by SystemAdmin
  • karl.h
    karl.h
    64 Posts

Re: V7000 SMTP email error

‏2012-07-08T22:31:46Z  
    Any firewalls in between? Have seen this several times at customers.
    2 possible reasons:

1. firewall
    2. IP not allowed by AD/Exchange (seem's as you have checked that already)

I also think that you have to use the IP address of the exchange server as the V7000 can not use DNS to resolve a FQDN.

rgds Karl.
  • DavidReimers
    DavidReimers
    5 Posts

‏2012-07-09T01:18:56Z  
    • karl.h
    • ‏2012-07-08T22:31:46Z
    Any firewalls in between? Have seen this several times at customers.
    2 possible reasons:

1. firewall
    2. IP not allowed by AD/Exchange (seem's as you have checked that already)

I also think that you have to use the IP address of the exchange server as the V7000 can not use DNS to resolve a FQDN.

rgds Karl.
    Nope, no firewall. Both devices on the same segment and indeed the same core switch stack.
    The IP address is whitelisted by the Exchange server.
  • karl.h
    karl.h
    64 Posts

‏2012-07-09T21:25:05Z  
    Nope, no firewall. Both devices on the same segment and indeed the same core switch stack.
    The IP address is whitelisted by the Exchange server.
    Can you have a look at the IP settings of the V7000? I had a case were the customer had configured a gateway IP which was not existing in the network. This turned out to be the problem.
    Hope this helps.
    rgds Karl.
  • DavidReimers
    DavidReimers
    5 Posts

‏2012-07-10T01:31:40Z  
    • karl.h
    • ‏2012-07-09T21:25:05Z
    Can you have a look at the IP settings of the V7000? I had a case were the customer had configured a gateway IP which was not existing in the network. This turned out to be the problem.
    Hope this helps.
    rgds Karl.
    Well I have fixed the problem but unsure as to the exact fix.

I had my customer's network engineers look at their core switch (Cisco 4500) to see if there were any issue with the same IP address transmitting / receiving data from two different MAC addresses (e.g. both Ethernet management ports). I have not heard back as yet, but based on previous experience they tend to lock down ports in such as way as to prevent this.

I ran through the default gateway suggestion - even though the gateway was on the network and I could get to the V7000 web page. I made it use a non-existent local gateway, disabled email, enabled email, set it to the correct gateway, disabled email, enabled email, then it worked.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2013-02-20T09:11:02Z  
    Well I have fixed the problem but unsure as to the exact fix.

I had my customer's network engineers look at their core switch (Cisco 4500) to see if there were any issue with the same IP address transmitting / receiving data from two different MAC addresses (e.g. both Ethernet management ports). I have not heard back as yet, but based on previous experience they tend to lock down ports in such as way as to prevent this.

I ran through the default gateway suggestion - even though the gateway was on the network and I could get to the V7000 web page. I made it use a non-existent local gateway, disabled email, enabled email, set it to the correct gateway, disabled email, enabled email, then it worked.
    I had the same problem as well. I'm getting the same error message whenever I try to run testemail command. I not sure if this would be the network issue as been addressed earlier in this discussion. My network infrastructure seems to work pretty fine.

However, I found something that is really funny, I not able to ping the default gateway from the controller but I able to access the storage controller from a different vlans. Is this normal for the controller not able to ping the default gateway?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2013-04-03T12:48:06Z  
    I had the same problem as well. I'm getting the same error message whenever I try to run testemail command. I not sure if this would be the network issue as been addressed earlier in this discussion. My network infrastructure seems to work pretty fine.

However, I found something that is really funny, I not able to ping the default gateway from the controller but I able to access the storage controller from a different vlans. Is this normal for the controller not able to ping the default gateway?
    Hi there

I had this issue with a unit I installed for a customer.
    I found out that if I changed the IP on the managment Interface to another ip in the same subnet,
    that solved the issue with error message during email Notifications.

I then sat back the original ip adress on the management Interface and mail still worked.
    Not sure why this issue happens, but it might be some MAC related issues since the managment Interfaces are using the same IP.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2013-04-06T11:19:50Z  
    Hi David.
    had the same issue. Found out that the gateway configured in the service ip address was wrong. It seems to use it somehow even if the mail server and v7000 are in the same subnet.