Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-07-06T12:11:50Z by JCanipe
JCanipe
JCanipe
31 Posts

Pinned topic How to retrieve the hyperlink value of an item using CEWS

‏2012-07-03T17:18:17Z |
Greetings. Currently using P8 5.1 (zLinux) and I have the need to retrieve the associated hyperlink of an item using a content engine web service query - or even the EJB API layer. It seems I can retrieve any other value imaginable.
If this is possible, my next question will be to update another Item (metadata only Item - no content with this Item), and put the previously retrieved hyperlink in this other item so it can point to the same piece of content (via hyperlink).
Thank you.
Updated on 2012-07-06T12:11:50Z at 2012-07-06T12:11:50Z by JCanipe
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    693 Posts

Re: How to retrieve the hyperlink value of an item using CEWS

‏2012-07-03T18:03:01Z  
    There are a lot of "it depends" factors in the answer.

In CEWS itself, there is no such hyperlink value. To have the kind of hyperlink you are probably thinking about, it would have to work with HTTP GET. CEWS is a SOAP-based web service, and all operations use HTTP POST with a non-trivial XML payload.

To have a hyperlink that refers to a CE object, you need some kind of mid-tier to interpret your hyperlink, including any parameters encoded into the URL. For example, FileNet Workplace provides a GetContent servlet that performs that function. The URL path and query portions are interpreted by the GetContent servlet and are not meaningful elsewhere.

A promising standard that might suit your needs is Content Management Interopability Services (CMIS). It provides web services and REST-ful APIs for common content management operations. A CMIS provider is included with recent P8 releases.
  • JCanipe
    JCanipe
    31 Posts

‏2012-07-03T20:22:19Z  
    There are a lot of "it depends" factors in the answer.

In CEWS itself, there is no such hyperlink value. To have the kind of hyperlink you are probably thinking about, it would have to work with HTTP GET. CEWS is a SOAP-based web service, and all operations use HTTP POST with a non-trivial XML payload.

To have a hyperlink that refers to a CE object, you need some kind of mid-tier to interpret your hyperlink, including any parameters encoded into the URL. For example, FileNet Workplace provides a GetContent servlet that performs that function. The URL path and query portions are interpreted by the GetContent servlet and are not meaningful elsewhere.

A promising standard that might suit your needs is Content Management Interopability Services (CMIS). It provides web services and REST-ful APIs for common content management operations. A CMIS provider is included with recent P8 releases.
    Thank you very much for your answer. Let me give you an overview of what I am doing and maybe you can give me the needed direction. I have the need to store a piece of content and associated metadata (I'll call this an Item). I then want to store "n" more Items, metadata only Items, and point all of them to the same piece of content that was stored originally. This way I can have "n" number of Items all sharing the same physical piece of content. In Workplace XT I can do this by using the P8 created Hyperlink for an Item and using that for the additional Items I want to store. Unfortunately I am not using Workplace for the store process; I am using IBM Content Integrator and there is not the ability to link an Item to the content of another Item. I am going down the road of either Event/Subscription or possibly a query to get the Hyperlink (URIValue) and updating another Item to use this Hyperlink to point to content.
    I realize multivalue properties can do this. But due to the accounts I am dealing with, there may be thousands of Items pointing to the same piece of content. This does cause overhead with IBM Content Integrator when returning the data from a query.
    Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
  • JCanipe
    JCanipe
    31 Posts

‏2012-07-06T12:11:50Z  
    • JCanipe
    • ‏2012-07-03T20:22:19Z
    Thank you very much for your answer. Let me give you an overview of what I am doing and maybe you can give me the needed direction. I have the need to store a piece of content and associated metadata (I'll call this an Item). I then want to store "n" more Items, metadata only Items, and point all of them to the same piece of content that was stored originally. This way I can have "n" number of Items all sharing the same physical piece of content. In Workplace XT I can do this by using the P8 created Hyperlink for an Item and using that for the additional Items I want to store. Unfortunately I am not using Workplace for the store process; I am using IBM Content Integrator and there is not the ability to link an Item to the content of another Item. I am going down the road of either Event/Subscription or possibly a query to get the Hyperlink (URIValue) and updating another Item to use this Hyperlink to point to content.
    I realize multivalue properties can do this. But due to the accounts I am dealing with, there may be thousands of Items pointing to the same piece of content. This does cause overhead with IBM Content Integrator when returning the data from a query.
    Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
    I can see that my last reply is getting out of scope from my original question. You have answered my question regarding using CEWS to retrieve the associated hyperlink (URIValue) from a stored piece of content. Thank you very much for the information.