Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-04T00:29:45Z by R6BN_Robert_Wright
R6BN_Robert_Wright
R6BN_Robert_Wright
13 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IDA 8.1.0 - Avoid at all costs

‏2012-07-02T22:10:41Z |
This is a warning if you are thinking of upgrading to IDA 8.1.0. DON'T!

I have had nothing but problems with this product.

1. Stopped adding hyper links to diagrams published as web

2. Stopped copying diagrams from Logical to Physical

3. Formats Notes in diagrams poorly

I would stop using this tool altogether if I didn't have to use it. It has cost me to lose a LOT of time, which I don't have.
Updated on 2012-07-04T00:29:45Z at 2012-07-04T00:29:45Z by R6BN_Robert_Wright
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IDA 8.1.0 - Avoid at all costs

‏2012-07-03T15:40:58Z  in response to R6BN_Robert_Wright
    Hi,

This seems to be an extreme message to place on a forum - especially without much background information. What is your experience with IDA? Did you upgrade from 7.6? How familiar are you with the new Eclipse (3.6) and the changes in EMF which may have impacted IDA 8.1.0? I use IDA extensively and while there are always issues (as with any tool), the benefits of having a tool built on the Eclipse platform which is easily integrated with other tools far outweighs any issues such as the ones described in your list. In addition, I always find that there is either a workaround or a fix available - possibly a different way to do the same thing.

Before bashing IDA completely, reach out to your support team by opening a PMR or use this forum to get some assistance - my experience is that not only is the engineering team very eager to help with any defects by promptly providing fixes but the community in general is helpful as well. You might also try the Eclipse community for more detailed EMF issues.

Kind Regards,

Deborah Hurley d.hurley@streamintegration.com
  • Kumar_Thirunavukkarasu
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-03T17:18:08Z  in response to R6BN_Robert_Wright
    Hi,

I would like to reiterate to what Deborah has already mentioned here. If you are running into issues or seeing a difference in behavior in IDA 8.1 when compared to IDA 7.5.3, continue to leverage the forum to get your questions answered or the PMR route for any patches you might need.

As you might already know IDA 8.1 is based on Eclipse 3.6 so that means new versions of GMF , EMF that go with that version of Eclipse which could result in change in behavior or uncover new issues for which a fix patch might be needed

Now for the 3 issues that you have listed

1. Stopped adding hyper links to diagrams published as web

This is a known issue in GMF 1.4 included in Eclipse 3.6. We opened a defect with the GMF team and they have assured that the fix for this issue will be in their release. We are following up to see if a patch can be provided to customers on top of GMF 1.4. We will keep you updated with regards to this issue

2. Stopped copying diagrams from Logical to Physical

The engineering team have not been able to reproduce the problem. Dev team has been following up with you offline to determine if it was some thing specific to your model or environment. We are aware that you are not in a position to share the model due to confidentiality reasons but if you can provide us with an equivalent model which reproduces the problem that would be sufficient for our investigation

3. Formats Notes in diagrams poorly

This is due to the support for rich text in Notes in diagrams which needs more space. As replied to in another forum post, is to disable Rich text by going to preferences in Modeling -> Text -> Display Rich Text on Diagrams
    Kumar
  • R6BN_Robert_Wright
    R6BN_Robert_Wright
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-04T00:29:45Z  in response to R6BN_Robert_Wright
    You might not like the message but at the end of the day I have spent 9 months designing a complex model. We are at the stage of moving into development where hyper text and physical modelling are core to understanding - ASIS the ability to interface with RTC (the reason I upgraded).

If I had found such a warning I wouldn't have moved to 8.1.0 - we had a rudimentary but acceptable workaround for RTC.

It would be irresponsible of me not to highlight issues that may influence a decision to upgrade. It will depend on where your project lifecycle is.

My warning is valid. Anyone can chose to ignore it. I have had more issues after migration than before.