Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-28T14:26:54Z by ErichNoll
ErichNoll
ErichNoll
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic USSHOME SIT parm value

‏2012-06-28T12:57:53Z |
Hello, I just brought up a region with the CICS TS 4.2 developer trial without much in the way of difficulty.

I did notice though it appears that CICS now insists on whatever I specify for the SIT parm USSHOME being an actual existing directory and that a file named CICS_INSTALL_OK be there.

My question is: does this mean I must now propagate the contents of the USSHOME that were created during SMP/E install to each of my LPARs that will run CICS?

I presume the answer is yes, I must do that. I notice that in the SDG under USSHOME system initialization parameter, it says I can specify USSHOME=NONE with the caveat that "...some CICS functions that request data from this directory might produce unpredictable results."

An additional question I have would be: is there any way of knowing in advance which are the "some CICS functions" that "might produce unpredictable results."?

Lastly, am I correct in thinking this is a distinct difference in comparison to CICS TS 3.2 ? I had been in the habit of not propagating the USS directories associated with CICS simply because no one is using any of the features delivered in the USS directories.

Thanks for your help.
Updated on 2012-06-28T14:26:54Z at 2012-06-28T14:26:54Z by ErichNoll
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    124 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: USSHOME SIT parm value

‏2012-06-28T14:15:26Z  in response to ErichNoll
    Hi Erich,

Great to hear that you have got a CICS TS 4.2 Developer Trial region up and running.

Regarding USSHOME, if memory serves this SIT parameter was added in CICS TS 4.1 and so is a distinct difference between CICS TS 3.2 and 4.2. Depending on how your zFS system is setup you could share the CICS directory across the LPARS rather than propagating it.

Between CICS TS 4.1 and CICS TS 4.2 more functionality started to require the need for the USSHOME directory SIT parameter so the advice would be to propagate the CICS zFS directory either by copying it or by using a shared zFS location. Two areas that I can think of that use it are Atom support and Java but this is not a definitive list.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Adam Coulthard
  • ErichNoll
    ErichNoll
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: USSHOME SIT parm value

‏2012-06-28T14:26:54Z  in response to ErichNoll
    Thanks for your help.