• 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-29T22:38:35Z by wilbert
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
253 Posts

Pinned topic RDZuT Multiple Instances

‏2012-06-26T23:41:58Z |
Hello guys,
I need to run multiple instances, at least 3, I have seen multiple guests in the same instance but there is poor explanation on red books about how to do that. Which is the best approach for multiple instances? is it better share the same instance? Group?

Please can you help me with Guests multiple instances, to understand how to set it up?

Regards.
Updated on 2012-06-29T22:38:35Z at 2012-06-29T22:38:35Z by wilbert
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    270 Posts

Re: RDZuT Multiple Instances

‏2012-06-27T11:33:57Z  
    Why do you need to run multiple instances of RDz-UT? Do you want to run them on the same box? Do you have enough licenses to do this? Do you have enough physical machine resources? We do not support RDz-UT in a virtualized environment. We do not recommend multiple RDz-UT instances on the same box running on over-committed resources. We have almost no experience running multiple instances on the same box. While theoretically possible, we just don't do it.

RDzJohn
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    253 Posts

‏2012-06-27T14:21:13Z  
    • RDzJohn
    • ‏2012-06-27T11:33:57Z
    Why do you need to run multiple instances of RDz-UT? Do you want to run them on the same box? Do you have enough licenses to do this? Do you have enough physical machine resources? We do not support RDz-UT in a virtualized environment. We do not recommend multiple RDz-UT instances on the same box running on over-committed resources. We have almost no experience running multiple instances on the same box. While theoretically possible, we just don't do it.

RDzJohn
    Hi John,

Well I just need to provide access to 3 or 4 developers to work on that and try things there.
    What is the best practice for that? how should i do it?

I thought it was throught multiple instances that's why I've seen the documentation about it.

Thanks!
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    270 Posts

‏2012-06-27T14:32:57Z  
    Hi John,

Well I just need to provide access to 3 or 4 developers to work on that and try things there.
    What is the best practice for that? how should i do it?

I thought it was throught multiple instances that's why I've seen the documentation about it.

Thanks!
    I recommend you use one RDz-UT instance and define multiple userids for your developers on that instance. Managing multiple instances on one piece of hardware is a logistical challenge. We are working on ways to make it easier, but we aren't there yet.

RDzJohn
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    253 Posts

‏2012-06-27T15:21:06Z  
    • RDzJohn
    • ‏2012-06-27T14:32:57Z
    I recommend you use one RDz-UT instance and define multiple userids for your developers on that instance. Managing multiple instances on one piece of hardware is a logistical challenge. We are working on ways to make it easier, but we aren't there yet.

RDzJohn
    Gotcha,

I am not experienced on mainframe or Z/OS just Linux system administrator.

Can you gide me a little bit on that? Where should I create users? How can Associate them at the same instance?

Thanks a lot!
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    270 Posts

‏2012-06-27T15:44:09Z  
    Gotcha,

I am not experienced on mainframe or Z/OS just Linux system administrator.

Can you gide me a little bit on that? Where should I create users? How can Associate them at the same instance?

Thanks a lot!
    Unfortunately, I can't make you a z/OS system programmer in 5 minutes. I am good, but not that good. To be successful in this environment you must have access to z/OS system programmer resources. There is a good set of IBM Redbooks that can help you with some of the basics of system programming. Link: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/cgi-bin/searchsite.cgi?query=abcs+AND+of+AND+z/os&SearchOrder=4&SearchFuzzy=

RDzJohn
  • RDzJohn
    RDzJohn
    270 Posts

‏2012-06-27T15:45:24Z  
    • RDzJohn
    • ‏2012-06-27T15:44:09Z
    Unfortunately, I can't make you a z/OS system programmer in 5 minutes. I am good, but not that good. To be successful in this environment you must have access to z/OS system programmer resources. There is a good set of IBM Redbooks that can help you with some of the basics of system programming. Link: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/cgi-bin/searchsite.cgi?query=abcs+AND+of+AND+z/os&SearchOrder=4&SearchFuzzy=

RDzJohn
    Link: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/cgi-bin/searchsite.cgi?query=abcs+AND+of+AND+z/os&SearchOrder=4&SearchFuzzy=
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    253 Posts

‏2012-06-29T19:12:42Z  
    • RDzJohn
    • ‏2012-06-27T15:45:24Z
    • Welcome to the zPDT instance selection menu ***

Please select the instance to connect from the list below
    or type in the instance and/or LU names and depress ENTER

Selected instance has no 3270 connections available
    Selection => (0 to disconnect) Name: LU:
    1) IBMSYS1
    Hello John,

We need to open two sessions, first as a normal TSO session and the other one as CICS session , but when we tried to open the second one (CICS), we have got the text above at the 3270 terminal and I do not know how to continue opening my session.

Could you help me?

Regards.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    253 Posts

‏2012-06-29T19:18:01Z  
    • RDzJohn
    • ‏2012-06-27T15:45:24Z
    Users are already created.
  • wilbert
    wilbert
    15 Posts

‏2012-06-29T22:38:35Z  
    • Welcome to the zPDT instance selection menu ***

Please select the instance to connect from the list below
    or type in the instance and/or LU names and depress ENTER

Selected instance has no 3270 connections available
    Selection => (0 to disconnect) Name: LU:
    1) IBMSYS1
    Hello John,

We need to open two sessions, first as a normal TSO session and the other one as CICS session , but when we tried to open the second one (CICS), we have got the text above at the 3270 terminal and I do not know how to continue opening my session.

Could you help me?

Regards.
    How many 3270 terminals did you define in your device map? How are you instantiating your 3270 sessions (x3270?)?