22 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-30T19:01:21Z by SystemAdmin
kolban
kolban
2929 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Alfresco ECM not working at all well with base v8.0.0.0

‏2012-06-26T14:32:32Z |
Folks,
Ive been trying to get the latest Alfresco ECM working with the base v8.0.0 of IBM BPM and been running into problem after problem. I can list documents but am unable to update or add new ones. If anyone has achieved these tasks in the current release using Alfresco, I'd be delighted to hear from y'all.

Neil
Updated on 2013-01-30T19:01:21Z at 2013-01-30T19:01:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • MichaelTaylor
    MichaelTaylor
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Alfresco ECM not working at all well with base v8.0.0.0

‏2012-06-26T17:52:21Z  in response to kolban
    Thanks for posting! I was planning to POC using our Alfreso instance with 8 and now I know what to expect. I'll post my findings when I try it.
    • kolban
      kolban
      2929 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-26T18:38:20Z  in response to MichaelTaylor
      Hi Michael,
      Great stuff. Don't hesitate to post when you start work on it so that we can share notes. I'm writing my own notes up on it now and will be happy to share when requested. I'm not sure if you want those now or after you have had a go. If I made a mistake in my notions, I'd hate to contaminate you so I'm tempted to suggest you have a go by yourself first.

Neil
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-03T08:58:37Z  in response to kolban
        Hi Neil

I have a problem configuration with Document List. ECM will implementation Alfresco but not success. Please help me!
        • kolban
          kolban
          2929 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-03T15:55:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Hoang and welcome to the forum. Ive heard from other IBMers that Alfresco simply wasn't tested with IBM BPM. My own practice says that it simply doesn't work at this time. I did get it working of a fashion to show already loaded documents that were present in the ECM but I couldn't load new ones or update existing ones. It isn't yet clear whether some "flags" somewhere are all that will be needed to get it working or whether some product code change may be required.

Neil
          • elvis_gn
            elvis_gn
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-23T20:14:28Z  in response to kolban
            Hi guys,

Any update on how to get Alfresco working with IBM BPM ? I'm assuming the CMIS support should now make it a straight forward integration...

Regards.
            • kolban
              kolban
              2929 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-23T23:54:17Z  in response to elvis_gn
              Ive been in contact with IBM Development. It appears that they never actually tested IBM BPM v8 with Alfresco. When I encouraged them to attempt that task they got back to me and said that "it didn't work". I was also told that support for Alfresco is a "known request" but that it is not the highest priority at this time. It was recommended to me that customer's should make known (presumably through their local IBM reps or through defect reports) their desire for Alfresco support. Only as acknowledged demand for Alfresco support grows will support for it be prioritized upwards.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-14T12:56:06Z  in response to kolban
    > {quote:title=kolban wrote:}{quote}
    > Folks,
    > Ive been trying to get the latest Alfresco ECM working with the base v8.0.0 of IBM BPM and been running into problem after problem. I can list documents but am unable to update or add new ones. If anyone has achieved these tasks in the current release using Alfresco, I'd be delighted to hear from y'all.
    >
    > Neil

Hello Neil,
    I've been also trying to make it work to have a nice integration demo with Alfresco and FileNet for our customers. FileNet demo is running very well (listing, updating, uploading new documents), but Alfresco is not.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get even the document listing running. I'm able to make the successful connection via the "Test Connection" button. I set up everything in the same way like I did it for FileNet, but still the Document List coach view is giving me "Error retrieving documents" message. The problem is somewhere in the search service config - I succeeded neither with Content Filter nor with Data Mapping when connected to my locally installed Alfresco instance. I can't even get the Document Type selection. If connected to the public repository (http://cmis.alfresco.com), I can get the document types list (see image).

Could you post me a hint how did you set it up for Alfresco? Did you use Community or Enterprise version?

I really appreciate any kind of help with this.

Jara
    • kolban
      kolban
      2929 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-14T23:09:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      The last I heard is that no-one (and certainly not I) have managed to get IBM BPM working with Alfresco. Development say they see the problem but there is no fix/patch available yet.

Neil
      • MaximDerevyanko
        MaximDerevyanko
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-17T09:59:31Z  in response to kolban
        Hi guys.
        I am new in IBM BPM and also trying to connect ECM system with BPM. Unfortunatelly, I can't event get a successful connection in Process App Settings. I would appreciate if you post a screenshot describes right configuration (no matter what ECM system: Alfresco, IBM Content Manager, or any other).
        Best regards, Maxim.
        • kolban
          kolban
          2929 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-17T17:49:54Z  in response to MaximDerevyanko
          Unfortunately I have only tested with Alfresco and FileNet. Alfresco broke right off the bat and development tell me that it won't work for a while. For FileNet, I couldn't find anyone with skills in that product to help me get it up and running so that I could begin to test it on my sandbox.

Neil
          • MaximDerevyanko
            MaximDerevyanko
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-17T20:50:21Z  in response to kolban
            Ok, thanks for the answer.
            • CRQH_Thong_Huynh
              CRQH_Thong_Huynh
              4 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-20T16:46:01Z  in response to MaximDerevyanko
              Hi all,
              Has everyone been able to integrate Alfresco with BPM V8? I am having problems configuring DocumentList to display documents from Alfresco. I'd like to describe the steps I've done below and where I got error:

Step 1
              I created a process app in BPM putting in a BPD and making a coach in which I inserted a DocumentList control from the pallet.

Step 2
              I defined Alfresco server in BPM 8:
              - I went to process app settings option in the dropdown list
              - Click on 'servers' tab
              - Click add a server
              - Chose ECM type for the server
              - Added configuration information for the server: (1) Type: as default, (2) Hostname: IP address of the computer on which I installed Alfresco, (3) Port: Alfresco's port 8080, (4) Context Path: alfresco/cmisws, (5) Repository: Main Repository, (6) username: your alfresco username, (7) password: your alfresco password, (8) tick the box always use this connection
              - Clicked 'test connection' button and received successful message

At this point, I know that BPM8 has connected successfully to Alfresco server

Step 3

Next, I need to create BPM8's ajax services which DocumentList control will be using. There are 5 services available from Content Management 8 (CM8) ready to use.

1. Default ECM Search Service
              2. ECM Get All Document Versions
              3. ECM Get Document Service
              4. ECM Get Type Definition Service
              5. ECM Get Type Descendants Service

I copied each of these services to my process app, changed the name, inserted content integration control, configured the control so that it uses my alfresco server, mapped data and saved.

Step 4
              Next I went back to my DocumentList control. On Properties - Configuration, I configured my DocumentList control as follows:
              - Allow create: ticked
              - Allow update: ticked
              - Parent folder path: /
              - Open in new window: not tick
              - Number of results to shown: 10
              - Show all content: not ticked
              - Query: query by my business object id
              - Search (user implementation required): My ECM Search Service (the service that I configured above)
              - Get all document versions: My ECM Get All Document Versions Service
              - Get Document: My ECM Get Document Service
              - Get Type Definition: My ECM Get Type Definition Service
              - Get Type Descendants: My ECM Get Type Descendants Service

Step 5
              Configure Content Filters in My ECM Search Service

1. Chose document type from Alfresco (anyone knows how to specify a custom document type in Alfresco?)
              2. Define table columns
              3. Define search criteria
              4. Save

Step 6
              Play the coach to test DocumentList. My documentList says its has problem retrieving documents.

I guess the problem is that I haven't specified correctly documents from Alfresco. Maybe I should setup custom documents in Alfresco which can be used in BPM8? I don't know. Its just doesn't work now. Anyone successful with this DocumentList? Please help!
              • kolban
                kolban
                2929 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-20T18:17:16Z  in response to CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                Hi there,
                The only story I have at the moment is that Alfresco integration with IBM BPM using CMIS is simple broken. IBM development hadn't tested with Alfresco prior to v8 shipping. When defects were raised, they tested with Alfresco and found that it didn't work. A story I heard said that IBM developers had found a problem and that the problem could only be resolved by code changes at the IBM BPM side. Currently there is no known fix/patch to make IBM BPM work with Alfresco. In addition, I also don't know if/when such a fix is going to be made available.

It is not a pretty story ... but it is what it is.

Neil
                • CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                  CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                  4 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-21T01:14:09Z  in response to kolban
                  Hi Neil,
                  Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your comment on my post. By the way, we're thinking of a workaround for this issue. We thought we might be able to understand the connectors (those 5 Ajax servers coming with CM8) and overwrite some of them ourselves. We would love to hear your thoughts on this or any workaround you have thought of. It could be a nice idea for all of us to share our thoughts and who know we can make up a solution while IBM guys fixing the problem.

G'day
                  Cheers
                  • kolban
                    kolban
                    2929 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-21T03:20:19Z  in response to CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                    Hi there. I emailed the product manager of IBM BPM today and asked for her comments on this issue. She re-iterated that she is very much aware of the situation but if not yet ready to commit to a time/date when the resolution will be finalized. This means that the solution could come in the next maintenance release, the next version or not at all ... so basically ... no news. I'd encourage consumers of the IBM BPM product to contact your local IBM rep and create Request for Enhancement tickets should you find any feature missing or lacking in the product that you could use. IBM's planning for future function is very much consumer driven. Simply put, the more consumers who request a function and explain the ramifications of not having it, the higher the likely hood of the function being satisfied sooner.

Unfortunately, as to fixing it ourselves ... I'm not inclined to even start going down that path. There are simply too many other shiny objects in the product that command attention than trying to "hack" IBM product code (which I would strongly advocate against). I'd recommend that before you attempt such a task that you contact IBM through RFE and/or PMR and make sure that you make your desires known. If enough emphasis is placed on any area, IBM will focus its energies in those areas.

Neil
                    • CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                      CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                      4 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-21T06:42:36Z  in response to kolban
                      Hi Neil,
                      Thanks for following up on this issue. Really appreciate your effort on asking the IBM product manager about this issue. We will consider making a RFE ticket and hopefully in the next release they will have it up and running nicely. For the meantime, due to project deadline and a tight budget, I guess we don't have much choice but exploring and trying everything we can to integrate BPM with another ECM system such as Alfresco.

Cheers
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        7615 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-23T14:01:40Z  in response to CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                        I'm sure Alfresco provides APIs for integration to other systems. Using either web based ones or java api you should be able to write your own Alfresco toolkit for 8.0, independent of the product offering. If you have Advanced I'd encourage you to look at the Integration Developer capabilities for doing this.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
                        • CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                          CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                          4 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-10-04T03:28:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                          Hi Andrew,
                          Thanks heaps for your feedback on this issue. In fact, we've been trying to integrate BPM with Alfresco using Alfresco's RESTful web services. Our goal right now is to be able to create and move folders in Alfresco by processes in BPM. Will get you guys updated when we are clear on the issues we're facing.

Cheers
                          Thong Huynh - Couture Consulting Vietnam
                          • kolban
                            kolban
                            2929 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-26T05:39:51Z  in response to CRQH_Thong_Huynh
                            With the release of 8.0.1, it seems that Alfresco now "works". Ive been playing with it for a few days and so far have found no functional issues. That said, it is still not (at this time) on the official list of supported ECM providers. Because of that, I'd hold off in attempting to use Alfresco with IBM BPM in production ... however .. again ... and for what it is worth ... it seems to be functionally working just fine as a CMIS provider to IBM BPM.

Neil
                            • SystemAdmin
                              SystemAdmin
                              7615 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T16:57:35Z  in response to kolban
                              Good day. I am interested in the supported ECM providers list. Where might I find it?
                              All the best,
                              G.
                              • SystemAdmin
                                SystemAdmin
                                7615 Posts
                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T17:35:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                As is noted in this thread, the 8.0.0 integrations seem to be DOA. They do appear to be workin in 8.0.1. They are supposed to be using CMIS which based on my reading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Management_Interoperability_Services) is an open standard. The 8.0.1 "Product Combatibility Reports" explicitly list FileNet, Case Manager, and Content Manger Enterprise Edition in its matrix, but my team has successfully used the CMIS package with Sharepoint and I believe Neil has stated that Alfresco is working as well, neither of which are listed in that report.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
                                • SystemAdmin
                                  SystemAdmin
                                  7615 Posts
                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-30T19:01:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                                  Thank you. We will have to replace our IPM soon, so it is nice to know what is on the list. g.