• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-07-03T08:54:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
648 Posts

Pinned topic start_local, stop_local and rmi_status not behaving as expected

‏2012-06-26T04:43:02Z |
Hi all

I have just completed an installation of MDM Collaboration Server on AIX and I am able to start and run the application (login etc) but the command line utils to stop and start the application aren't working well. Am I missing something?

Here's what I get (I ran them order):

-bash-3.2$ ./bin/go/start_local.sh
Running service pre-start checks
Starting service rmi_DEV-MDM01... started, PID is 835630
Starting service admin_DEV-MDM01... started, PID is 892982
Starting service eventprocessor_DEV-MDM01... started, PID is 405536
Starting service workflowengine_DEV-MDM01... started, PID is 262282
Starting service queuemanager_DEV-MDM01... started, PID is 311486
Starting service appsvr_DEV-MDM01... ERROR: appsvr_DEV-MDM01 did not start. Please check error logs
Starting service scheduler_DEV-MDM01... started, PID is 905332

-bash-3.2$ ./bin/go/rmi_status.sh++ success rmistatus (Mon Jun 25 16:13:18 CDT 2012)
no objects bound
-bash-3.2$ ./bin/go/stop_local.sh
Stopping service admin_DEV-MDM01... admin_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service eventprocessor_DEV-MDM01... eventprocessor_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service workflowengine_DEV-MDM01... workflowengine_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service queuemanager_DEV-MDM01... queuemanager_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service appsvr_DEV-MDM01... appsvr_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service scheduler_DEV-MDM01... scheduler_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service rmi_DEV-MDM01... rmi_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.

-bash-3.2$ ./bin/go/stop_local.sh
Stopping service admin_DEV-MDM01... admin_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service eventprocessor_DEV-MDM01... eventprocessor_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service workflowengine_DEV-MDM01... workflowengine_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service queuemanager_DEV-MDM01... queuemanager_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service appsvr_DEV-MDM01... appsvr_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service scheduler_DEV-MDM01... scheduler_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Stopping service rmi_DEV-MDM01... rmi_DEV-MDM01 does not appear to be running.
Updated on 2012-07-03T08:54:51Z at 2012-07-03T08:54:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

Re: start_local, stop_local and rmi_status not behaving as expected

‏2012-06-26T07:48:30Z  
    Hi,

I suppose you didn't enter credentials of WAS because you had ran the script from putty session of like one. User xterm to start PIM
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-06-26T23:33:07Z  
    Hi,

I suppose you didn't enter credentials of WAS because you had ran the script from putty session of like one. User xterm to start PIM
    Thanks for the suggestion. You were right I am using putty. xterm is not an option for me, the server is accesibl only by terminal. I will have to figure out another way of passing the credentials or maybe configure was not to require them.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-06-27T04:25:26Z  
    Thanks for the suggestion. You were right I am using putty. xterm is not an option for me, the server is accesibl only by terminal. I will have to figure out another way of passing the credentials or maybe configure was not to require them.
    You can set admin_security to true and fill username and password parameters in env_settings.ini
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-06-27T05:36:35Z  
    You can set admin_security to true and fill username and password parameters in env_settings.ini
    Thanks for the reply, I had those set. I was consdering switching the security off on the WAS side but I'm not keen on switch global security off now.

Could the RMI port setting be wrong?

./bin/go/start_rmi_and_appsvr.sh
    Starting service rmi_DEV-MDM01... service already started (PID=647310), aborting... started, PID is 647310
    Starting service appsvr_DEV-MDM01... ERROR: appsvr_DEV-MDM01 did not start. Please check error logs

my RMI port setting ins env_settings.ini is 9810 which is the RMI port of the app server profile that the PIM and GDS servers is running on. Is that correct?

I can connect to that port with wsadmin without any issues. Should it be 17507 or some value near that?

Thanks for your help so far
    Justin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-06-27T06:36:00Z  
    Thanks for the reply, I had those set. I was consdering switching the security off on the WAS side but I'm not keen on switch global security off now.

Starting service rmi_DEV-MDM01... service already started (PID=647310), aborting... started, PID is 647310

my RMI port setting ins env_settings.ini is 9810 which is the RMI port of the app server profile that the PIM and GDS servers is running on. Is that correct?

I can connect to that port with wsadmin without any issues. Should it be 17507 or some value near that?

Justin
    I have never changed a default value of RMI port that is 17507.
  • KaranBal
    KaranBal
    108 Posts

‏2012-06-27T16:46:04Z  

Justin
    That sounds as if the application server is not deployed.
    Start the admin server i.e. server1 from "$WAS_HOME/profiles/SERVER_NAME/bin/startServer server1", run the $TOP/bin/websphere/install_war.sh and then run the start_local.sh. Troubleshoot any errors that you get in the process in $TOP/logs and WAS logs during the process.
    If the above doesn't fix this issue, open a service request here: https://www-946.ibm.com/support/servicerequest/
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-07-03T08:54:43Z  
    • KaranBal
    • ‏2012-06-27T16:46:04Z
    Start the admin server i.e. server1 from "$WAS_HOME/profiles/SERVER_NAME/bin/startServer server1", run the $TOP/bin/websphere/install_war.sh and then run the start_local.sh. Troubleshoot any errors that you get in the process in $TOP/logs and WAS logs during the process.
    If the above doesn't fix this issue, open a service request here: https://www-946.ibm.com/support/servicerequest/
    I reset the RMI port to 17507 and that resolved the issue. I think the documentation should be clearer on what this value is. It appears to be the RMI for the app itself not the bootstrap address of the server which I thought it was. It never started because of a port clash with the app server.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    648 Posts

‏2012-07-03T08:54:51Z  
    • KaranBal
    • ‏2012-06-27T16:46:04Z
    I reset the RMI port to 17507 and that resolved the issue. I think the documentation should be clearer on what this value is. It appears to be the RMI for the app itself not the bootstrap address of the server which I thought it was. It never started because of a port clash with the app server.