Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-21T17:18:17Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
396 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Error in RANFOR package

‏2012-06-21T15:12:10Z |
Hi Jon,
I am trying to run your's RANFOR and RANPRED packages (I need to get probabilities for my classifications problems, and I am being lazy in programming...). However, when I try to run RANFOR I get the following error:

SPSSINC RANFOR DEPENDENT=conv
ENTER=SF MI GMI
/OPTIONS MISSING=ROUGH NUMTREES=500
/SAVE PROGRAMFILE="D:\Temp\Rrfs" FOREST="D:\Temp\Rfgdata.Rdata" RETAINFOREST.

>Error # 1. Command name: SPSSINC
>The first word in the line is not recognized as an SPSS Statistics command.
>Execution of this command stops.

Than I have to stop the processor (CTRL+.).

Now, I have ranForest library in R and it actually works with my RF spd dialog (see attached). Not sure what is wrong with RANFOR. I also installed the Phyton plugin (not sure what it is needed for...).

Can you help please?
Best Regards
João

Attachments

Updated on 2012-06-21T17:18:17Z at 2012-06-21T17:18:17Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    396 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Error in RANFOR package

‏2012-06-21T15:23:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    That error indicates that the SPSSINC RANFOR command is not installed or you did not restart Statistics after installing it.
    After you install this package and the prerequisites, you should see SPSSINC_RANFOR.xml and SPSSINC_RANPRED.xml files (assuming that you installed both), in the extensions subdirectory under your Statistics installation or wherever else you have designated for extension command storage.

If you are on Win7 and installed Statistics under Program Files, you might not have permission to write to that directory. If that is the case, see the FAQ on the Community site about solutions.

HTH,
    Jon
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      396 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T16:43:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      uhum, indeed I don't get the PSSINC_RANFOR.xml and SPSSINC_RANPRED.xml on the extensions directory...
      So, I just went back and installed the Phyton with Administrator privileges (R extension plugin were already installed)
      Double clicked on the spd files, rewrote the previous ones... rerun spss statistics...
      Same error...
      Can I just create an SPSS_RANFOR directory in the Extensions and add manualy the xml and py files?
      Thanks
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        396 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T16:52:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        To install the spd dialogs, one just need to unzip the RANFOR.Zip file and then double click the spd files, correct?
        I realize that the py and xml files are in the unzipped folder... not sure if we supposed have to do something to these files?
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          396 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T17:03:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I'm not sure that the spd extension is registered, but if not you can just use Utilities > Custom Dialogs > Install Custom Dialog. The other files are just copied.

BTW, I plan to repackage these extensions as extension bundles when I have time and also eliminate the need for the Python plugin for them. Extension bundles, introduced in V18, make the installation process much easier.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            396 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T17:11:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            ... Also did that. No SPSSINC_RANFOR directory is made on the Extensions sub-directory. However, the Dialog is installed in the Analyze menu of Statistics...
            :-(...
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              396 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T17:18:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              There isn't supposed to be a ranfor subdirectory. The subdirectories you see for some of the extensions are from extension bundles that have translated dialog or output text. Ranfor and ranpred are not translated. We only translate extensions that are included in the Essentials.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            396 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T17:14:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            yes, spe extension bundles would be a nice addition.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        396 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T16:53:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        The spd file is just the dialog box. To quote the installation instructions
        "To install this procedure, unzip all of the files into the extensions subdirectory
        of your SPSS Statistics installation. Next, in SPSS Statistics, use

Utilties>Install Custom Dialog

to add both items (*.spd files) to the menus."

the xml and py files go directly in the extensions subdirectory, not below it.