Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-22T08:51:06Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
197 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Open search - error on results show (ICA 3)

‏2012-06-20T10:27:18Z |
Hi @ all,

i just installed the new ICA 3.0 on Windows 2008 R2 x64.

First i created an analtics collection and everything was fine.
Then i created a search collection -> crawled the files -> open the search website.

As soon as i entered the search term an hit enter, the result page is loading an shows the result.

BUT then the message appears:

"An unexpected error occurred. Try your search again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."

I tried it with IE 8 and Firefox 13 and updated Flash and installed afterwards JRE 1.6 and JRE 1.7 on the ICA system -> nothing changed.

I think it has something todo with the "facets" in the left bar.
If you need more informations for some solutions, just ask, i'll be online.

Thanks

Chris
Updated on 2012-06-22T08:51:06Z at 2012-06-22T08:51:06Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Open search - error on results show (ICA 3)

‏2012-06-20T10:35:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Chris,

there seems to be an error in the ICA 3.0 search app when the used JRE is running with local settings that use a comma as decimal separator (e.g. in Germany)

You are affected by this problem when you see an error like that in WAS system.out:

Beim Laden der Facettenstruktur ist eine Ausnahmebedingung aufgetreten. Text der Ausnahmebedingung = java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1,0"

So when installing ICA 3.0 on windows ensure that the local settings are set to "United States". This must best be done before installing WAS.

To change Windows Locale:
    Start -> Control Panel -> Region and Language
    On tab "Formats" change "Format" to "English (United States)"
    On tab "Location" change "Current Location" to "United States"
    Restart Windows

If ICA has already been installed:
    In WAS Console, go to "Servers > ESSearchServer > Java and Process Management > Process definition > Java Virtual Machine > Generic JVM arguments" and add

-Duser.language=en -Duser.region=US
    Restart WAS

Kind regards,
    Marcell
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-20T12:09:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks for the fast replay. Sorry i forgot to mention that i chose for our test/dev enviroment the "simple" installation w/o WAS.

ICA is actually installed on a german Windows. Got an idea where/how to check if this problem exists even on the "sipmle" isntallation?

Chris
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      197 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-20T12:26:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Unfortunately I have do not have a jetty-based ICA 3 installation at hand. But I would suggest to look either in ES_DATA/logs/jetty/searchapp...log or ES_DATA/logs/audit/searchapp...log. This would be the relevant files for ICA 2.2 at least.

Kind regards,
      Marcell
      • tinagaki
        tinagaki
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T01:48:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Chris,

Is this error persistent even after restarting ICA by the command "esadmin stop" and "esadmin start"? If that is, please check error log from the admin UI from Collections->Actions->Logging->View log files and System->Log if there was any error in ICA.

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T07:30:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

i found the logs at: C:\Program Files\IBM\es\esadmin\logs\audit\searchapp.node1_audit_20120620

<OFMsg>402653901
    "4"1340199206156
    "#com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.actions.PreferencesAction.loadSavedSearch"0
    "26" 
    " " stw8ica3
    " PreferencesAction.java"317
    "3 PreferencesAction::loadSavedSearch - begin"
    "</OFMsg> <OFMsg>402653901
    "4"1340199212046
    "#com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.query.QueryTreeUtil.createTreeBuilder"0
    "21" 
    " " stw8ica3
    " QueryTreeUtil.java"95
    "3 Enable Count is false"
    "</OFMsg> <OFMsg>402653901
    "1"1340199212890
    "#com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.common.ESExceptionHandler.push"0
    "21" 
    " " stw8ica3
    " ESExceptionHandler.java"110
    "3 An exception occurred when loading the facet tree. Exception text = java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "quot;0,2
    "quot; java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: 
    "quot;0,2"quot; at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:1278) at java.lang.Double.parseDouble(Double.java:521) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetItemMap(FacetTree.java:291) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetItemsList(FacetTree.java:221) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetGroupMap(FacetTree.java:205) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetTreeJsonForUI(FacetTree.java:105) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetManager.buildFacetTreeJsonForUI(FacetManager.java:167) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.actions.FacetAction.getTopFacetCounts(FacetAction.java:292) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.actions.FacetAction.doPost(FacetAction.java:105) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.util.InitEncodingFilter.doFilter(InitEncodingFilter.java:64) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:418) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:938) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:755) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404) at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228) at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582) 
    ""</OFMsg> <OFMsg>402653901
    "1"1340199212890
    "#com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.actions.ActionUtil.writeResponseErrorJson"0
    "21" 
    " " stw8ica3
    " ActionUtil.java"466
    "3 An exception occurred when loading the facet tree. Exception text = java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "quot;0,2
    "quot; java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: 
    "quot;0,2"quot; at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:1278) at java.lang.Double.parseDouble(Double.java:521) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetItemMap(FacetTree.java:291) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetItemsList(FacetTree.java:221) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetGroupMap(FacetTree.java:205) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetTree.buildFacetTreeJsonForUI(FacetTree.java:105) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.facet.FacetManager.buildFacetTreeJsonForUI(FacetManager.java:167) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.actions.FacetAction.getTopFacetCounts(FacetAction.java:292) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.actions.FacetAction.doPost(FacetAction.java:105) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166) at com.ibm.es.oze.searchui.util.InitEncodingFilter.doFilter(InitEncodingFilter.java:64) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:388) at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216) at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765) at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:418) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114) at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152) at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:938) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:755) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218) at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404) at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228) at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)   
    ""</OFMsg>

I cannot tell if the error persists on using the cli command, but i restarted the ICA a serveral times via the ICA Start/Stop links installed in the Start menü. But if you think it makes a difference, i could try to use the cli. (the hole windows server was rebootet too)

I'd really like to try the language changes shown above, but i got no WAS, so if someone knows how to change it on the Jetty installation, i'd realy appreciate a hint on who to do that.

If someone needs more than the preview from the log file for further analytics of the problem, let me know what and where you want it.

Have a nice day

Chris
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T07:42:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    @tinagaki:

i checked both logs.

The collection log only got some "information"s that everything works fine.
    The system log actually had some errors, but only regarding a custom crawler for a diferent collection.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      197 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T08:13:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Chris,

have you tried to change the windows locale as i wrote in my first post?

Usually the locale of the JVM depends on the locale settings of the server it runs on, so this may help already. Restart windows after making the changes just to be sure.

Regards,
      Marcell
  • ShunsukeIshikawa
    ShunsukeIshikawa
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-21T08:44:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Chris,

I looked into your log files. This problem is caused by the same issue which Marcell mentioned above. FP1 will fix this issue. Here is the workaround for Jetty.

1. esadmin stop
    2. open $ES_INSTALL_ROOT/configurations/interfaces/searchapp__interface.ini
    3. add the following line
    JVMOptions=-Duser.language=en -Duser.region=en -Duser.country=US
    4. esadmin start
    5. open search application

Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    197 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-22T08:51:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

here is my summery of actions:

1. changed the windows settings like shown above ... nothing changed
    2. updated the searchapp_interface.ini ... IT WORKS
    3. i changed the windows settings back to german ... it STILL works

i cannot tell if the windows settings have an effect on a new clear installation, but after the installtion is completet, it doesn't effect anything.

Just for the records:

IE 8 with German primary language works fine
    FireFox 13 with English primary language works fine

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

:::SOLVED:::CLOSED:::