Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-08-22T08:27:38Z by SystemAdmin
Sri.
Sri.
29 Posts

Pinned topic Currently logged in users in WP?

‏2012-06-14T12:27:33Z |
Hi,

Is there any way I can check who all are logged in to portal at a time? Just to monitor and get some statistics. Thanks.
Updated on 2012-08-22T08:27:38Z at 2012-08-22T08:27:38Z by SystemAdmin
  • JMW98
    JMW98
    1102 Posts

Re: Currently logged in users in WP?

‏2012-06-14T16:27:54Z  
    Portal does offer some site analytics functionality that you might find useful:

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/portalwiki.nsf/dx/Analyzing_portal_usage_data_wp8

but I do not know if the login/logout session activity tracking would be enough for what you're trying to do. You might have to implement custom code. For example, you could use authentication filters to keep track of when users log in and log out. You would want to account for users logging in multiple times. You would also want to consider users navigating away from the site, but not explicitly logging out (would you count these as "logged in" users? their LTPA tokens would still be valid).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2012-06-15T09:33:03Z  
    • JMW98
    • ‏2012-06-14T16:27:54Z

but I do not know if the login/logout session activity tracking would be enough for what you're trying to do. You might have to implement custom code. For example, you could use authentication filters to keep track of when users log in and log out. You would want to account for users logging in multiple times. You would also want to consider users navigating away from the site, but not explicitly logging out (would you count these as "logged in" users? their LTPA tokens would still be valid).
    Hi Sri,

if you use login filters for this, make sure you use the right one according to your security setup. If you do not log in to portal by using the login portlet or the login URL, you need to use the implicit chain.

Sven

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
  • Sri.
    Sri.
    29 Posts

‏2012-06-15T17:46:56Z  
    • JMW98
    • ‏2012-06-14T16:27:54Z

Thanks for the response! To be honest, this looks too much of development work just to monitor/analyze the usage of server!
  • Sri.
    Sri.
    29 Posts

‏2012-06-15T17:50:23Z  
    Hi Sri,

if you use login filters for this, make sure you use the right one according to your security setup. If you do not log in to portal by using the login portlet or the login URL, you need to use the implicit chain.

Sven

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
    Thanks Sven for the response. Well, coming from a Domino background, I feel like Portal is missing this key feature which is supposed to be built in! This is too much a development, where almost no customer (at least who use Portal in Intranet) will do - they have many more applications to be built! I wish it is there out of the box.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2012-06-18T07:09:24Z  
    • Sri.
    • ‏2012-06-15T17:50:23Z
    Thanks Sven for the response. Well, coming from a Domino background, I feel like Portal is missing this key feature which is supposed to be built in! This is too much a development, where almost no customer (at least who use Portal in Intranet) will do - they have many more applications to be built! I wish it is there out of the box.
    Hi Sri,

thanks for the input - always happy to get feedback! Actually it is not that hard to implement, but of course it is work to do. The calls to hook into are quite simple, from my perspective more work is in where to store that information and what to do with it. Nothing the product could simply answer as this might be related to auditing or similar areas.

Sven

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2012-06-18T07:15:59Z  
    Hi Sri,

thanks for the input - always happy to get feedback! Actually it is not that hard to implement, but of course it is work to do. The calls to hook into are quite simple, from my perspective more work is in where to store that information and what to do with it. Nothing the product could simply answer as this might be related to auditing or similar areas.

Sven

Just if you still want to have a look, here is a very good article which includes the authentication chains to hook into:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0905_buchwald/0905_buchwald.html

You would be interested in this sample class: com.ibm.example.portal.SampleLoginFilter

Sven

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

‏2012-08-22T08:27:38Z  
    • Sri.
    • ‏2012-06-15T17:46:56Z
    Thanks for the response! To be honest, this looks too much of development work just to monitor/analyze the usage of server!
    Hi

thanks for the input - always happy to get feedback! Actually it is not that hard to implement, but of course it is work to do

Thanks
    HTC Wildfire S cases