Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-08-20T23:40:07Z by KirkBeaty
dvisentin
dvisentin
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic And now?

‏2012-06-13T23:14:38Z |
After official dismission, I hope that IBM will free PZ/sMash to the open-source with an Apache license.
What do you think?
Updated on 2012-08-20T23:40:07Z at 2012-08-20T23:40:07Z by KirkBeaty
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9224 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: And now?

‏2012-07-20T20:57:52Z  in response to dvisentin
    My vote is to open the sMASH source code and transfer it to the Apache as an open-source package. This would allow the continuity of patches preserving all the technical value of this software tool. Yet another benefit is that the service divisions, like the GBS AS services, as well as the IBM cloud computing environments, would be able to deliver sMASH based solutions, or distribute the package in the cloud computing space without concerns of licence questions, possibly giving the sMASH web server technology a new breath of live.
    • KirkBeaty
      KirkBeaty
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-20T23:40:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      YES, we are using it in many projects. Was quite perturbed to see that it is being pulled from support ! Had to be that it was "too good" and had an undesirable financial impact.

I was about to ask (before seeing this post) how to get source code as the FAQ suggests such:

"Can I contribute?

IBM is following a community driven commercial development process for WebSphere sMash. Feedback and suggestions are welcome. As the community grows, there will be a facility for community members to share reusable components (for example, libraries, widgets and services). This is similar to the way Eclipse plug-ins work in that plug-ins extend the base Eclipse platform, but the plug-in itself is owned by the person or company that developed it.
      If I develop extensions, who owns them?

You do! "

I was hoping that with such an announcement of dropped support that we would be able to get source code so that we can continue to use this very valuable asset going forward. Any word on this ?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9224 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-08-03T13:52:16Z  in response to dvisentin
    Question:
    How numerous is the sMASH developer community today, how many active participants we have in the community? Just raise your hand:

. I'm here.