Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-06-13T17:06:06Z by SystemAdmin
nikolasapl
nikolasapl
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Document Versioning

‏2012-06-13T01:34:58Z |
Hello,

I would like to ask, is a new version of a document created when a user updates the value of a document property, or is a new version created only when the user modifies the content of the document?

Is the user required to check out the document first, in order to update the property value?

Basically, I would like to design a solution where documents will be scanned and imported into the object store. All documents will be major versions by default. The end-users will not have permission to modify the content of a scanned document. They will, however, be able to modify the value of a document property. In that case, I would like the change to be checked by another user (authorizer) before being "finalized". I thought of doing this as follows:

• Scenario 1: In case the property change requires the document to be checked out first (new document version is created):
1. user A checks out the document
2. user A updates the property value
3. user A checks in the new version of the document as minor version
4. user B reviews the property value change
5. user B promotes the new version of the document from minor to major version.

• Scenario 2: In case the property change does not require the document to be checked out (no versioning in this case):
1. user A demotes the document from major version to minor version.
2. user A updates the property value
3. user B reviews the property value change
4. user B promotes the document from minor to major version
Which of the above scenarios is valid according to the FileNet functionality regarding property changes?
Is there a better way to implement this kind of initiator - authorizer logic in FileNet Content Manager?
Updated on 2012-06-13T17:06:06Z at 2012-06-13T17:06:06Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    693 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Document Versioning

‏2012-06-13T17:06:06Z  in response to nikolasapl
    A new version is not usually needed for a property change, assuming the user has the right to modify the property. (The exception is that a particular version can be marked as "frozen", in which case no further property updates are accepted.)

Both scenarios you listed are possible, but you would ordinarily want to avoid making new versions. The content from a document version is not shared or copied to a new version. Of course, an application could copy the content to the new version, but that would be pretty wasteful if done for simple property changes.