3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-13T01:07:38Z by nikolasapl
nikolasapl
nikolasapl
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Document Names

‏2012-06-12T14:28:51Z |
Hello,

Is it possible to have filed in the same folder documents with the exact same name?

For example, in a folder called "Financial Reports", can there be filed more than one document with the name "Annual Report"?

Financial Reports (Folder)
______ Annual Report (Document)
Many thanks in advance!
Updated on 2012-06-13T01:07:38Z at 2012-06-13T01:07:38Z by nikolasapl
  • drdamour
    drdamour
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Document Names

‏2012-06-12T16:03:52Z  in response to nikolasapl
    depends on what you mean by name. If you're talking about the Document title property, then yes you can have multiple of those in the same folder. What you can't have is the containment name property on the DRCR that links a head and tail relationship, that has to be unique for every DRCR in a parent.

Different clients use different properties as their display name, ICM for instance uses Document Title, but the WebDAV client uses the containment name.

I am Just a new Boy,
    A Stranger in this Town,
    Where are All the Good Times,
    Who's Gonna Show this Stranger Around?
    Check out our Agile ACM Catalogue: Widgets, APIs, & Components for Building Solutions
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      693 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-12T17:26:25Z  in response to drdamour
      I'll just say a bit more here (on top of drdamour complete and correct information) since the OP said in another thread that s/he is just getting started with P8, so maybe not overly familiar with the containment model.

P8 uses something called referential containment. In simplified terms, there is another object -- the mentioned DRCR -- that points to both the folder and the document. In this way, a given document can be filed in 0, 1, or multiple folders. Similarly, a given folder can contain 0, 1, or many documents. In fact, if you wanted to, you could file the same document into the same folder more than once (though use cases for that are rare).

You can imagine with all this cross-wired multi-filing going on, it would be easy to get things confused. This is especially true for a case like your question, where the documents have the same "name" (I'm carefully using that term informally for this explanation). To keep it all straight, the DRCR has a name (technically, it's a DRCR property called ContainmentName). You could properly think of it as the name of the filing of a specific document into a specific folder. The CE enforces a uniqueness constraint on the ContainmentNames within a given folder.

CE has a mechanism for automatically making the ContainmentName unique, somewhat analogous to what you see in Windows Explorer if you make multiple copies of a document in the same folder. I won't go into the mechanics here since they are fully documented, but I do want to point out that if you end up using ContainmentNames that inherently have a lot of collions (for example, most of your documents are called "Invoice"), then you are probably setting yourself up for later problems of user confusion and maybe performance issues.
  • nikolasapl
    nikolasapl
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-13T01:07:38Z  in response to nikolasapl
    Thanks!